Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have any thoughts?

SKP

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
we caught a jack on friday on the trask along w/ one adult.. lost another - didn't know i should feel so honored :tongue:

[ 10-20-2003, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: wetaline ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been out fishing Tillamook County/ Siletz tidewaters this fall, and I have not seen one jack salmon landed, but I've seen 100-200 or more adults landed in various locations. Has anyone caught any jacks this fall?

Normally, I would see a bunch of jacks landed by bobber fisherman, but not one this year. Should we be concerned?

The Columbia jack counts look good, but I'm concerned about north/central Oregon coastal systems.

SKP

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
SKP,

On a related question, I was recalling that next year will be the second return of the 96 flood year, and was wondering how fast the run would recover. Given jacks are used to predict next years run, then what you are saying is next year could still be real slim pickings.

CS.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I have caught a total of 11 jacks this fall all from the Siletz the last one I caught was on Oct. 10. All fish caught on Bait.

Derek Anderson

·
Registered
626 Posts
The same question us on my mind. To the south of you on the middle Rogue we have had back to back years of incredible fishing for fall chinook.

Last year the river was full of jacks. We spent a couple of days targeting them on light tackle and had a blast doing it. This year we probably caught 20 adults to each jack.

Hope things aren't headed south after such bountiful fishing the last few years.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I have alway's wondered about the jack count's, and how ODF&W relies on them to predict the next years returns.

When I was up in Alaska a few years back, I discussed this with one of their local biologists. He explained to me that he felt it was a poor indicater, and that ADF&G relied on red counts to predict returns. :shrug: :whazzup: Jack counts were not taken in to consideration. Maybe that has changed since then?

[ 10-21-2003, 09:10 PM: Message edited by: rebell ]

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone else catching any jacks?

Do fall chinook jacks predict the run TWO or THREE years down the road or just next years? Jacks can't grow to 30 plus pounds in one year do they?

SKP

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Yah I'm pretty sure it's the next years run. Fish can grow a ton in a short amount of time...and remember these are jacks sitting in the river not eating, while all their buddies are out in the ocean chomping away.
Another thing I just thought about:
In a given run, there can be 1,2,3,4, and even 5 salt fish. Those big 40-50 pound salmon being caught in Tillamook Bay right now, those are all 4 or 5 salt fish. Jacks are all 1 salt fish.
Just another something to chew on.

[ 10-22-2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
SKP, I agree with you. If you pull the fall jack counts and adult counts, it seems as though the adults stay out in the salt one more year than the coho's or springers. A strong jack count for springers, leads to a strong adult return the next year. While a strong fall jack chinook count seems to correlate to strong adult returns in two years.

The coho counts are more based on coastal surveys, and hatchery returns as not too many coho's pass Bonneville.

·
Registered
16,793 Posts
SKP, since you asked for reports...

We did catch a chinook jack in the Tillamook Jaws back around Sept. 22.

In the Columbia, for the July/Aug/Sept period I think we caught at least two, maybe more, on wobblers.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To the top. Can any biologist or guide or someone who else who has some knowledge on jacks give some info here.

Thanks,
SKP

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I've talked a number of ODWF biologists, and they have told me jacks are an indicator of the next years run. We were talking about steelhead, but I bet it also applies to salmon.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm guessing fall chinook jacks are an indicator of two to three years down the road though. I can't see a jack going to 30+ pounds in one year, do they?

Springers are a different story, but fall chinook, I'm thinking fall chinook jack returns are a better indicator of 2-3 years out. I'm theorizing here.

Anyone else?

SKP

·
Registered
19,625 Posts
Jacks represent 12% of next years run. Although not an exact science,they are a fairly reliable indicator.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts