IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, that would've peeved me off, too!

Just thinking....
a good way to deal with these types is perhaps through humiliation.

From now on, grab your digital camera, take a good shot of them and their boat ( so everyone knows what it looks like) and post it on here, as well as the river you were fishing.

This would be similar to Sex offenders and child molesters getting their mugs all over the TV and papers....And honestly, it might make them think twice next time about their own ethics! :cheers:

[ 10-11-2003, 01:37 PM: Message edited by: Sublime ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm a bank fisher, but I've had that experience with drift boaters before. Being female, I usually just quietly turn so that they can't see what I'm doing with my gear. I take off whatever I'm using, put on a 1-2oz cannon ball. Then when they get within range, I usually either cast into their boat, or hit the side of it, REALLY HARD. Then I just act like a ding-bat and say "Oh my!! I don't know what happened there!! God, I'm soooo sorry. I'm new at this...etc...etc..." Usually after being hit once or twice they move on. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
So, im thinking, if they do it again, IM definitely going to say something. and here they came doing the exact same thing. I had casted and they were drifting over my line. So I waited until my line was about neck high and drug my braided line across the guys neck (That had to leave a mark). I told him that was a hint!!! He said, next time he'd cut my line.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">come on now.... before we start talking about ethics......last time I check that was an assault (the way you described it it sounds pretty intentional).

·
Registered
733 Posts
ya right..... tjetowner.. :hoboy: assault? in fact i think we should all have permits to carry monofilament line. i know i register my reels with the local police department, and always carry my rods with the safety on. where did you check that again tj?

[ 10-11-2003, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: jocose ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
check the rcw and many local city/county codes....i.e any unwanted touching the is offense as opposed to defensive.......

RCW 9A.36.011
Assault in the first degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the first degree if he or she, with intent to inflict great bodily harm:
(a) Assaults another with a firearm or any deadly weapon or by any force or means likely to produce great bodily harm or death; or

(b) Administers, exposes, or transmits to or causes to be taken by another, poison, the human immunodeficiency virus as defined in chapter 70.24 RCW, or any other destructive or noxious substance; or

(c) Assaults another and inflicts great bodily harm.

(2) Assault in the first degree is a class A felony.

RCW 9A.36.021
Assault in the second degree.

*** CHANGE IN 2003 *** (SEE 5758.SL) ***
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the second degree if he or she, under circumstances not amounting to assault in the first degree:

(a) Intentionally assaults another and thereby recklessly inflicts substantial bodily harm; or

(b) Intentionally and unlawfully causes substantial bodily harm to an unborn quick child by intentionally and unlawfully inflicting any injury upon the mother of such child; or

(c) Assaults another with a deadly weapon; or

(d) With intent to inflict bodily harm, administers to or causes to be taken by another, poison or any other destructive or noxious substance; or

(e) With intent to commit a felony, assaults another; or

(f) Knowingly inflicts bodily harm which by design causes such pain or agony as to be the equivalent of that produced by torture.

(2) Assault in the second degree is a class B felony, except that assault in the second degree with a finding of sexual motivation under RCW *9.94A.835 or 13.40.135 is a class A felony

Assault in the fourth degree.
(1) A person is guilty of assault in the fourth degree if, under circumstances not amounting to assault in the first, second, or third degree, or custodial assault, he or she assaults another.
(2) Assault in the fourth degree is a gross misdemeanor.

(4)(a) "Bodily injury," "physical injury," or "bodily harm" means physical pain or injury, illness, or an impairment of physical condition;

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica"> So I waited until my line was about neck high and drug my braided line across the guys neck (That had to leave a mark). I told him that was a hint!!! He said, next time he'd cut my line.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica"></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">but that was not the point of my comment......fishing is supposed to be fun....relaxing. I mean..... your really not going to starve if some inconsiderate person drifts by your boat a couple of times an makes you stop casting for a whole whoppin' 30 seconds.

as fishhog said
So I told him "oh, that's right, I forgot you own this river"
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">so quit quarreling ......and fish.

and neither do you.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
Originally posted by justasillyolgirl:
I'm a bank fisher, but I've had that experience with drift boaters before. Being female, I usually just quietly turn so that they can't see what I'm doing with my gear. I take off whatever I'm using, put on a 1-2oz cannon ball. Then when they get within range, I usually either cast into their boat, or hit the side of it, REALLY HARD. Then I just act like a ding-bat and say "Oh my!! I don't know what happened there!! God, I'm soooo sorry. I'm new at this...etc...etc..." Usually after being hit once or twice they move on. :wink:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">We saw some bank guys doing this to a guy in a boat at Bonn last Sunday. He called the CG who call OSP. If you are throwing lead at a boat you deserve someone to get out of that boat and beat you silly! That said there are some guys in boats who need to be smacked with lead upside the head, but the first person on the bank who hits my boat with lead will find themself in a world of hurt.

[ 10-11-2003, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: fish_on ]

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
When we were juniors, a high school classmate was hit in the side of the head by a monkey fist while visiting the Longview port dock. A crewman on an already moored foreign ship heaved it, apparently trying to hit him (a monkey fist is made with a ~2 oz. lead ball completely wrapped in cord or light rope...and attached to a light heaving line...which is attached to a heavy line, etc...which is how mooring lines are passed from ship to shore). He was in the hospital with a severe concussion and fractured skull for weeks...had severe problems...and missed about 6 months of school...never caught up with the rest of us in time to graduate...and by all accounts, was never the same again after his assault.

I can imagine what a 1 or 2 ounce lead cannonball with no padding might do if it hit someone in the head. :hoboy:

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
I agree with fish on, if you throw a rock or lead at me or my boat you better be able to run fast or fight well cause who ever throws it is gonna get it. there is no reason for that kind of garbage on the river.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
well I agree with a lot of you. It is in my opinion worse to be an equal idiot and throw a ball of lead in a guys boat. You hit me and I will be upset. How ever I was on the wilson and a guide who I wont mention drifted down infront of me . I was standing knee deep in a run and he anchored literaly within a rod length I had to move so his client could drift his bobber by me I could have grabbed it :mad: . So I put on a big old nasty spinner or spoon I dont recall and casted about 1 foot from his boat. He thought that was too close so I asked him to move. He said no So what I did was just casted over and snagged his anchor line luckily I had a heavy rod that day and was able to just bounce his anchor enough to cause him to slip down about 5 feet and now into the heart of the run. He started mouthing off and I calmly asked if he had two spare trailer tires because he might need them. he conitnued to let his client cast so I re-tied and did it again. that time he finaly left.
But People go nuts for a fish. in my opinion it is best to just bite the bullet and not get all mad I would hope it would not come down to a physical altercation but by God some people down right deserve it( but not for drifting or anchoring so close they could tie off on my cleat). If you drift right ontop of me or swarm me if I get a fish( which I hate worse then drifting on top of me!!
) if you hit my boat with a wieght I will be mad! you hit my wife or son with a wieght!! you just might get a few lumps to take home with you! in my opinion some things are worth blows you hit my family or boat on purpose with a wieght come on you asked for it!!!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Heres the deal.
Yesterday, I was out fishing on a local river by myself. I was anchored up and was tossing spoons. There were four boast anchored up below me in a line all pretty much doing the same as I was. Then here comes two guys in a sled with a young boy. They drifted right in front of me about 10 feet away and kept casting the whole time. Needless to say, I was a little upset, but chose to say nothing, figuring that he was having trouble controling his boat and at the last minute, had to go in front of me. So I kept fishing. Well, they got to the end of their drift and ran back up above me. So, im thinking, if they do it again, IM definitely going to say something. and here they came doing the exact same thing. I had casted and they were drifting over my line. So I waited until my line was about neck high and drug my braided line across the guys neck (That had to leave a mark). I told him that was a hint!!! He said, next time he'd cut my line.
Thats where the fun began. I expressed my displeasure with the way they were fishing,
trying my best to control myself being as they had a small boy in the boat. He was going on and on about how he had been fishing this slot all day. So I told him "oh, that's right, I forgot you own this river" He says, he's been fishing this river for years, blah, blah, blah.
So, im thinking, if he's been fishing this river for years, and fishing like that, Im probly not the only one, that had been peeved off!!!!
So, by that time, he had drifted out of range.
Then five minutes later, here he comes again.
Im just shaking im so livid!!!
There was a time (and probly still is a time) that I would have jumped in their boat and beat them silly. Good thing, I brought some common sense along with me that day. Nothing like gettin slapped with an assult charge for some jerk being just that, a jerk!!
Sorry, I just had to vent!!!

Fishhog out!!!

·
Registered
199 Posts
Almost makes it not fun to fish. Fishing is supposed to be relaxing and fun, not stressful. Why do some people just loose all sense of being polite.

Years ago I couldn't take all of the people like this and sold both my ocean/bay boat and my drift boat. I have since purchased new boats and have just tried my best to overlook people like that. Fortunately they are few and there are many more freindly poeple you meet on the water that makes it all worth while and fun.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I agree that theres nothing swiming in any body of water worth fighting about. I think that its still a ridiculous argument to call monofilament line on the neck assault but agree that it could lead to bigger and more dangerous problems. I had a problem with a drunk in a hog line once on the columbia and now dont bump boats in line any more.. its a big river and the fish swim all the way up it..... koom bi ya, koom bi ya... :smile: joco

[ 10-12-2003, 11:23 AM: Message edited by: jocose ]

·
Banned
19,959 Posts
The first person in the hole dictates how the hole will be fished. If you don't like the way the first guy is fishing,you have two choices,wait or move on,simple as that. I personally have had more trouble with guides crowding me,that other fisherman. Even though it doesn't happen that much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As a boat owner I try to stay away from bank fisherman, though I will fish a hole that is empty or large enough for us not to get in each others way.

Any more I will not confront any one on a river, or in the woods...I have a family and a fish is not worth getting hurt over. If a person chucks lead at my boat, I will call the local authorities and will sign the complaint and go to court.

I have also seen aggressive boaters anchor over bank fisherman, and it gives all boaters a bad name.

It sounds like the guy was just a jerk and I am sorry he ruined your day. What did his passenger behave like?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
this happened two years ago on the clack but everything ended with cool heads. his passenger was quite looked like he didn't want any parts of the stares coming his direction. the ten guys on the bank with me that day just sat in awe talking to each other then one person with big cow bells asked him to move after fifteen or so minutes telling the boater it just wasn't cool what he did and if he pulled his boat aside he could fish next to us their was more than enough room on the bank. The boater didn't like the suggestion of fishing on the bank and some verbage was shared till he started his motor and went down stream. This was a rare thing 99.9% of the boaters that pass that slot would just drift down or motor up past the slot fish a drift and be gone in search of new water so I know what you are talking about. ps, It didn't ruine my day, bad day fishing is better than a good day working.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Sounds like a controversey over drifting vs. anchoring to me. When techique allows, it seems better to drift and work with your trolling or electric motor than to tie up water with anchors.
Hog lines are one thing, camping out on a fishing hole is another. Just depends. People tie up a lot of water unecessarily where I normally fish using anchors.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
Saturday we took the sled up past the bank fishermen above Cedar Creek on the Lewis. I took great care saying in the center of the river avoiding lines and shallows. Apparently one young man pointed his finger and "fired" his thumb at us on our way back down an hour later like a pistol. My passengers caught the display. I really would have like to stop and ask him what he meant!

Now, the blue Wild Hair on the Clack! :hoboy:

[ 10-13-2003, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Tilla ]

·
Registered
7 Posts
I let the bankies have the area ......I was a bankie once. what I don't get is even when you anchor a good 150-250 Yards off the bank the bankies still yell at you....so you move....and then you notice that not a single one of them get even close to where you were anchored....what is up with that? :shrug:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts