IFish.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering where in the heck all these silvers that are coming are? I have spent a couple of hours at the mouth watching for rollers and have seen nary a one. Anyone out there have a good report that might bring a smile to my face? Thanks for any info you can provide.
SB

·
Premium Member
14,293 Posts
hey steelie ben,
you know, i've been waiting for a good report on the clack, or even a decent one. the summers never really showed this year and i'm afraid it might be the same story for the silvers.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I have a couple friends that have floated it twice this month. The first time they lost one adult and caught a jack. The second time (last weekend) they caught one wild adult and caught about 12 jacks.

They saw a few rolers and a few in the tailouts but it doesn't sound like a ton of them yet.

I'm sure they'll show but will they bite :shrug:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hey David! Do you think they still might come??
I've been down only a few times, above and below, and fish are scarce. Silvers and summers. Have to fish alot harder for less.
I've seen teams of biologists floating and taking samples of dead fish for lab work.???? Whatzz up with that???
With as many fish are in the ocean and Columbia fisheries this season, I'm sure the answer has to be somewhere between:
1) Low/warm water has stopped the run?
2) A hatchery borne desease got them?
3) Gill netters got them?
4) Water conditions caused our fish to go elsewhere??

How can we get a reasonably intelligent answer?
Who would we call? The Biologists?

Just curious on your take on this.
Hope yer havin a great season.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I floated Sat Carver to Riverside 6-10:30 and got zip. Saw a few fish under Carver bridge and below jump but no biters again. I tried bobber eggs, free drifting eggs, spinners but i think the fish just are not in good numbers and it is still too hot. I need to start taking the temp out there. I had polarized glasses and only saw one fish. Sounds like the mouth is dead too. I hope they are in the Columbia since there are definietly less this year at this time than the last two.

·
Registered
4,389 Posts
Was down by Carver last night and saw several jumping. Seems like there are still quite a few swimmers/rafters in there...Water was real skinny

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Water temps rose and the level actually dropped on the clack... Steelhead are around in catchable numbers.. TONS of slivers rolling in the Portland Harbor area... they are on their way.. They are coming in, like DJ said.. will they bite?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
It's hard to say, they are usually in by now but of course it's usually not 90 outside by now.

The Willamette temp might hold them back :shrug:

You could call the Clackamas office of ODFW but they will probably have some of the same thoughts and wont know until later in the season.

When I worked for ODFW we foated the Clack and Sandy this time of year to do redd counts and take snouts off dead clipped fish if we round any. That's probably what they are doing.

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Had one good day two weeks ago tuesday drifting form barton to carver. Number 3 silver spinners with a touch of pink did the trick,and a touch of smelly jelly shrimp anise mix. scratched out with seven adults and two jack's. have made two floats since and only one jack in the boat .hope those fish are coming. Eagle Cr hatchery had only a handful a week ago.Good luck

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
The fish will come.

Last year at this time we were scratching our heads wondering if we would get into some numbers of fish. Then they came, and they bit :grin: .

So far this year, we've tossed the book at them looking for some sort of pattern, but there seems to be none.

We've hit them on spinners,drifted eggs,bobber/eggs,plugs, and even on the fly !

JP makes a fine point, that we are working harder for less fish, but I'm always a believer that the best day could be today(or tomorrow), and that more fish are constantly on the move. But that's just what drives me to get up at 4 am each trip.

Be versatile, cover many different "types" of water, and throw the book at 'em, and you'll find a biter or two or three :grin: .

The fish that my clients are taking home are gorgeous chrome creatures. Just not lots of them :shrug: .

They'll be around ! I always say, I like to be making the reports, not chasing them :smile:

Tight lines,
Chris :cool:

[ 09-30-2003, 12:47 AM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I'm sure this cooler weather we're getting should get some more fish moving in.

As for me I'll be fishing the coast, I know the chinook down there will bite without having to throw the kitchen sink at 'em.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts