IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I can\'t get out to fish...

I'm wondering if others have this tendency: when things interfere with my being able to get out to go fishing (like working, kitchen remodeling, canning tomatoes and peaches, etc), I tend to buy tackle and gear. I guess it's not a bad thing, but I do go overboard, sometimes. I don't need any more hooks - what I NEED is to go fishing!

· Registered
5,116 Posts
Re: When I can\'t get out to fish...

That's funny; I do the same thing (buying tackle that is - not canning fruit!). My girlfriend tried to clean the garage for me while I was out crabbing last weekend. She gave up. She said there were way too many shopping bags of little fishing "stuff" that she couldn't figure out. Plus, now my rods are all hanging in the wrong spots. I need to get out fishing more too (I actually only use about half the stuff, but now I have lures for fish that I've never tried to catch like TUNA! and walleye).

· Registered
13,727 Posts

I tie leaders and count corkies and buy more corkies. I also spend a lot of time tying flys. ok if you ask the wife to much time tying flies. rp

· Registered
23,212 Posts

My wife thinks I have a tackle collecting addiction instead of a fishing problem.

You can always go to the fishing store even when you can't get out to fish. Life is good that way. :dance:

papa

· Registered
664 Posts

A support group that understands.Whohoo! Plus, I tell my wife that during this time of year everything is in stock.

· Registered
270 Posts

On numerous occasions in the last few months I have read something on this forum or the Internet and rushed out to buy it so I could use it on my next trip.......I havent been fishing since the end of July :depressed:. I know someday it will get put to use and I will have it ready to go.

· Registered
346 Posts

my wife says I fish way toooo much and that I should take up a second hobby.

So, now I have 2 main hobbies:

1- collecting current era fishing tackle :grin:
2- using it :grin:

· Registered
275 Posts

I've managed to convince myself that tackle selection (and purchasing) is fishing. It's all part of the process and experience. This is true for making jigs, tying flys, cleaning the tackle box, curing eggs, messing with the boat and reading ifish. Boating that big Chinook or a scrappy trout are the pinnacle of the hobby but they are by no means separate from the other activities involved.
Happy fishing.

· Registered
930 Posts

I took alot of years, but I finally came to the conclusion a couple of years ago that there is absolutely nothing else I need. This revelation came while I was looking at my Bass/Walleye tackle box that's probably got about $500.00 worth of crap in it and I go about once a year.

· Registered
2,731 Posts

I sit in my fishing room and wonder how I can switch my different reels with different rods....bad thing is I always have to change them back later!! :shrug: I can't tell you how many times I've respooled when I probably didn't need to.

I'm another who ties leaders/hooks...you can never have too many. And as another said, my worst habit is going to the local tackle shops and buying what I "think" I need!! :dance:

· Registered
1,212 Posts

Flat out! I'm not happy buying anything else. Besides I don't need another 100 corkies but I always find room. Pre tied leaders in Pips leader dispensers? I now have to make labels on the computer to keep all the Pips dispensers straight-like an inventory level. You ever heard of LIFO & FIFO? Mine goes FINO. First in never out. Heck, I can't find it to use it. Kinda fun after a few years you can't find the gear you purchased for that specific trip. Then, low and behold you find it years later after your looking for a new spot to store the gear that you just purchased to replace what you couldn't find. You ever had two of the same item but only they were like 4 years apart in age and still brand new and in the package. Really get to see how the packaging has changed over the years. I'm gonna head out to find that spool of Maxima 12lb line that I bought-forget it-Easier to go to GI Joes and buy another one, besides I might buy something I need that I already bought long ago but can't find it today. Hope you could follow this.

· Registered
202 Posts

Wait, is there anything such as too much fishing tackle?? I don't think so.LOL..My favorite store has lures and fishing line...I have to laugh my guy teases me that I love to fish more then he does and he loves to fish alot...Fishing its more then a hobby....

· Registered
36 Posts

When I can't get out to fish I do something else completely unrelated to fishing.

IMO there is such a thing as too much fishing tackle but Luhr Jensen and Gold Star and a million others will probably disagree.

· Registered
1,525 Posts

when i am not out on the river I find myself filling slinky cord with magnum shot one shot at a time tried the quick fill method with the pipe and rod but always seem to get the shot that oval shaped or has burrs an get stuck in the cord and taking corkies from my big Plano organizer into my smaller ones and usually visa versa thinking of packing light and then thinking of packing everthing into my big pack then reriggin leaders from 8lb to 10lb them to 12lb them depending on where and when I plan to go end up down sizing back down again

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.