IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is a good time to start fishing for Steelhead and what river(s) should I fish in

...??¿¿¿ -Drew

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
I start fishing for steelies in december eventhough they catch a bunch in november,I would rather catch those fall fish till december. As for where to fish it depends on where you live.I'll start on the coast,The wilson,nestucca,NF Nehalem.

R.R.

P.S. Lots of chinook left in december in the wilson.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
as a rule of thumb... there are steelies in all forks of the Coquille after Thanksgiving! :smile:

My inlaws have a racnh on the EF of the Coquille and we can always catch good numbers of steeles afer Thanksgiving from their place... but never on Thanksgiving day for some reason???? maybe this year!

There are a few die-hards who will start anchoring up for them in early/mid Nov.,
We have caught them in Oct accidentlly fishing for Chinook in Oct.

Th STEP program commonly nets them in Oct while chasing Broodstock chinook for the hatchery program!

If they are in the Coquille they are everywhere!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I like to start fishing for steelhead in mid to late november. The Elochoman is a hot winter steelhead spot. :dance:

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Even though you are in Oregon City, the Clackamas is a tough river to bank fish for winter steelies. Try to get to the coast but watch the river levels and learn which ones best fish at what levels. Closer to home the Sandy is a good place to get started too. Search the archives for lots of valuable info.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
In about 2 more weeks, on whatever river you can get to a lot. They've taken the first winter fish in many rivers already.

·
Registered
315 Posts
For me, I have now finished my coastal Fall Chinook, and have now shifted to the Johnday from now to Dec, then I will fish locally thur March here in the "greater PDX" area....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts