IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone fishing the Wheeler/Nehalem area (not the jaws)who is willing to share a report? Would appreciate any information. Thanks.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I went out of Wheeler last Thursday with Grant Scheele and had a great time. We didn't have a lot of action up river, though we found one spot where there were a lot of big fish jumping. I caught a chinook about 30 inches.

After a short--and unfortunately unsuccessful-- run fairly close to the Marina, we headed out to the jaws. You could hardly look downstream without seeing someone fighting a fish. We got there a little before noon, I think, when there were a lot of coho being caught. Got one myself.

Later some chinook seemed to move in and we saw several longer-term battles going on as boats were maneuvered to bring in big kings.

Heard that some people had caught limits before 9 a.m., or something like that. Saw a lot of nice fish caught, including a very nice king on our (Grant's) boat. That wasn't by me, unfortunately, but I had a blast catching a chinook while bobber fishing.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
I was out there on Sunday morning. Like Rubber Boat said, the morning was pretty good, but from the people I talked to nothing like the previous three days. We had two good take downs that I can't believe didn't stick in our first pass, and that was it for the rest of the day. We fished until everyone else was gone (1pm), and nothing for us.

About 12 pm I saw something that I had never seen before. Down by Kahr's dock it just went crazy. Fish jumping everywhere. Saw about 30+ or so jump in a 5 minute period, then it stopped. Could it be the seals that set them off? Anyone know why salmon jump?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Ya know, I have seen fish act like that on the Nehalem many times. I remember several trips where the fish were actually jumping out of the water and onto the bank. No idea why :shrug:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts