IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to assume that like many things, there is different grades of quality for wheel bearings. From some of the emails I have recieved from others, sleEZy-loader uses the cheapest garbage they can find. :rolleyes:

So, if a guy were to go to Napa or some parts place and ask for a set of bearings and seals, What am I going to get? Is there any brand names (manufacturer) I should look for or stay away from? Where is a good place to buy new bearings?

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
I found out trailering boats to and from Alaska several times that it is not so much the bearing as it is the installation. Make sure they are very snug, no slop. Keep them greased regularly but not to the point of breaking the seals. They will last for years.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Being a fairly new boat owner I'm wondering if there are signs to watch for before a bearing goes out. Do they make noise, wobble, or maybe your tire starts to sit a little funny? Or do they just give out one day going down the road with no warning? Always been worried about that but been lucky so far.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My experience has been that when you hear something, it's too late. Wife says, "hey, you hear that noise? What is that?" :rolleyes:

You can even jack up the trailer periodically and check to see if the tire has any play. Mine never did. I even feel the hub after a trip to see if they are hot. Never was. :shrug:

The really bad thing that I have had happen twice now is that the bearing explodes causing the hub to ride the spindle. A scored spindle means replace the axle. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Every fall I jack my trailer up and pull the bearings out to clean inspect check for pitting and rust spots then re-pack. I think most boat trailers come with bearing budies. Make sure their are in good condition. You should get many many years of no hassle boating if you do regurlar maintance.

Note: If the grease starts to look milky then somethings gone bad on your seals.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I have heard Timken refered to as the "Million Mile Bearing", and most good companies use them in their equipment. Dana uses them, and most millwrights prefer them. They cost a little more, and may need to be ordered, but I have never had a problem with them. I can't say the same for some of their compeditors.

·
Registered
13,282 Posts
Waterboy :grin: sounds like your boat needs to go on a diet :laugh: since the trailer cant carry the load of ....(cough).... it has to haul around. :wink:

I have replaced my bearings twice in 7 years as precationary measures not wanting to be the guy parked along the road. Both times I went to Napa and have had no problems. It is not hard to do and everybody should have an extra bearing, race and seal in the boat glove box and know how to change it. It only takes a few tools. Of course if you dont catch the problem soon enough and toast the axle, well then you will be the guy along the road talking to your trailer in a non calm manner.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Timken bearings.

Available at Applied Industrial Technologies or Kaman Industries.

Worth every cent, but still need routine cleaning and re-packing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just had a weel bering go out on my tandem axel EZ loader trailer as well and I went to napa with part numers from the trailer and have been able to replace them. I also have several problems with the brake system and finding replacement parts, EZ loader seems to not give a rip. Apparently most of the weel assembly was done by Fulton/Westbar now called Cequent trailers their number is 1 800 638 5866 and they are vary good about returning your calls and they know what parts you will need and where to get them. They can give you some advise on a good grease to use and answer other questions. Good luck. If youre trailer ever goes in salt water make sure you repack the berings twice a year.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Its funny you should bring this up mine just went out on the way back from fishing last friday a guy along side me had to tell me I had smoke coming out of my wheel. :depressed: :depressed: So I think that is one way to tell there shot is to see smoke coming out of them.

Oops that one bent the net!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Install bearing buddies on all of your trailer wheels and keep them completly packed with grease. This will keep the water away from the bearings which is the main cause your wheel bearings fail. Have been boating with a trailer for more than fifty years and this is an absolute must do on all trailers. If this is done correctly you will not have any bearing troubles ever. It dosen't make any difference what kind of trailer you have keep the bearings completley covered with grease at all times for trouble free operation.

G

·
Les Schwab did a great job on mine. Replacing seals, bearings, races and packing. Good price and you know they will stand behind it.

Mechanic told me that so called "marine grease" turns to baby food at high speeds and heat and to use good ole' plain quality axle grease in the bearing buddies.

Rick

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It does not matter whether or not they are full of grease. If you are at the load capacity of the trailer and the trailer uses the cheapest parts for bearings you will have a problem.

I installed the new axle last night. This axle does not have the "Ez-Lube" system on it. It looks like the orignal "Buddy Bearing". Hub is different as well.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Water Dog
I'll repeat what I said earlier. Keep your bearings completly covered with grease and you will not have bearing trouble. I have three trailers and it works. Have not had bearing trouble in the last twenty years on any trailer I have using this method. They have been used under many differnt conditions and if this is not followed you will most certianly have trouble again and again. There are more than one way to do this but keeping the water out of and away from the bearings is the problem. Proper greasing will prevent bearing failure.

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me just get to the point: It was full of grease, completely full. The other side (not the side that exploded) was FULL of grease, had no rust, but shattered bearings. Trailer is two years old. Failure was NOT due to lack of maintenence. This is the SECOND sleEZy-Loader that has done this to me and I am not the only one. Testing :rolleyes: has revealed two years seems to be the life of the stock set up.

Maybe I should just re-pack the bearings before each and every trip???? :hoboy: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Approximately how many miles do you think you put on these bearings before grenading on you? Just for my own info. I have a new ez loader and will keep a good eye on the bearings. When I replace, I'll go with Temkin, used on my last boat trailer and never a problem in many years and miles. Thanks. Zip :cheers:

·
Registered
7,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
5k to 6k miles.

A tid bit of info that was passed on to me in the last hour was that the "Ez-Lube" hubs were discontinued a couple of years ago due to problems. Both of the trailer's I had, had this system. The sleEZy-loaders now come with "Bearing Buddies" as did my new axle. So if you have the "EZ-Lube" you might want to consider a change.

·
Registered
543 Posts
You just hit it WaterDog...on the money! And you can argue and haggle with sleezyloader all you want...they don't care and won't stand behind the product. I'll never own one again...We were lucky the 26' Seaswirl wasn't on the tandem trailer when it happened to us...I looked in the side mirror and saw the tire laying on its side..it exploded jockeying the trailer to go GET the boat :mad:

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Waterdog, my EZ load trailer blew a bearing in Garibaldi during the second year I had the trailer too. I have heard the same thing from other folks about the two year average life span of the stock bearings that they use for these trailers. I'm on my fourth year now and havent had any problems. I will be replacing both sides next week as a precaution tho.

p.s. No warning on the bearing blow out either. I heard a bad noise while leaving the ramp on the way home and made it 2 miles before it blew.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts