IFish Fishing Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

· Registered
16,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
It's that time of year again so pushing this thread to the top.............

There's a ton of really good turkey stuff in this thread......

I'll be spatchcocking our bird again this year, recipe is above somewhere.....

Happy Thanksgiving everyone....

Reactions: sschwab

· Registered
16,722 Posts
I will probably do a ham, but going back over the memories in this thread that Jeff started was heartwarming. I have a Traeger again after going seven years without one, but it's just me and I don't care for dark meat, hence the ham. I have a double-smoked ham recipe somewhere ...

· Registered
12,179 Posts
I am going way outside the traditional box this year. I am actually going to break it down before I cook it. This way I can pull the breast at at 145 and everything else at 165. Then I will have the whole carcass to make into stock and do a long simmer to get that rich gravy and stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
79 Posts
Going with Alton Brown's Recipe:

and Harry Connick Jr.s mom, Jill Goodacre Connick stuffing:

stuffing uses Jimmy Dean hot breakfast sausage with some cayenne and cornbread.

· Registered
8,050 Posts
Did a spatchcocked 18# butterball today for the kids/relatives that can't be here on Thursday. Put some Cajun seasoning, butter, and apple slices combo under the skin and olive oil and more seasoning on the skin. On the smoker at 400 for half an hour to sear the outside some, then down to 275 for 3 hours with a little sprite and white wine basting, followed by another higher spell at the end to crisp up the skin and hit the 155 breast and 175 thigh temps. No need for brining with these store bought birds that are already injected with a couple pounds of salt water.

Came out perfect and juicy with skin that was like the best potato chips ever. No pics cause it got eaten with the sides faster than I could cut and serve. Did it on the gravity charcoal grill with briquettes and alder splits.

· Registered
My favorite color is CHROME!!!
3,386 Posts
I kept it simple this year. Used a brine of two cups Kosher salt dissolved in two gallons of water along with a good amount of lemon pepper.

After brining for 10-12hrs rinsed the bird and patted dry with paper towels.

Cooked in my CharBroil Big Easy oil-less fryer for about 2 1/4 hrs.

Reactions: Artwo

· Registered
16,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
I did my usual spatchcock method again this year, 20.5# bird. It turned out great as usual but cooked differently then others in the past. Took a little longer to get done in the Treager, but we got there eventually. As always, the gravy was fantastic...............

No pics this year as we were running late to get it on the table....

61 - 72 of 72 Posts