IFish Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Registered
441 Posts
I’ll be cooking my little 13 pounder on the Big Green Egg for the first time after several years on the Traeger. If it works out well the Traeger may be going up for sale soon...

I’m trying out a 3 day dry brine for the first time too.
Snapt—we are doing the same thing. I’ve been brining the turkey since yesterday morning, and it’s going on the Big Green Egg tonight. 225 degrees, a mix of pecan, hickory, and apple wood chunks, slow and low, and it should take about 9-10 hours for our 18 pound bird. This is the fourth year that I have done it on the BGE and it always turns out amazing. If done right you will have an incredibly moist turkey with a gorgeous pink smoke ring. Good luck with yours!

· Registered
340 Posts
Usually do a smoked turkey and an oven roasted turkey but the kids will all be gone this year. I'm going to break tradition and do a citrus brined spatchcocked turkey. Absolutly can't wait to see how it comes out!

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Usually do a smoked turkey and an oven roasted turkey but the kids will all be gone this year. I'm going to break tradition and do a citrus brined spatchcocked turkey. Absolutly can't wait to see how it comes out!
Rseas.....

In case you haven't noticed, good choice. My only way I do turkey' s for the holidays. Been doing them this way now for 4 years. If you didn't see in my reply to Beedub above, see post #16 for the way I do them.....

Hope yours turns out wonderful........

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Another great turkey, maybe one of my best......

I did a smaller turkey this year, 14#, as we only had 8 people this year. The gravy turned out great as well..........

I hope all your turkey's turned out fantastic.........

· Read Only
1,944 Posts
I dont or try my best to not buy regular supermarket meats. Every year I get a free range turkey from a farmer guy I know. I also got one for a friend who has bought fred meyer turkeys for the last 20 some years. He called me up and said ' chris, the heart and liver in the turkey you got me are like 3x larger than normal"
Normal??!!!

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Our spatchcocked bird was a success. 24 hour swim in a citrus brine and 90 minutes in a 400 degree oven made for a very tasty addition to our Thanksgiving table.
Very nice Rseas, looks delicious.......

· Super Moderator
9,720 Posts
My turkey turn doubt well. It’s a dry brine from now on. My main concern about the BGE was that it is a medium but it was just fine with a 13.5 lb bird and there are plenty of leftovers. So tonight I’m making my post thanksgiving hash. I crisp up the left over stuffing in a big skillet with pieces of dark meat mixed in and a few other leftovers. Then smother with gravy. Yum!

· Registered
850 Posts
I have a question regarding brining a turkey. To those of you that do it, do you use a “normal” store bought turkey that is packaged in a brine solution already and then brine yourself? Or does it have to be a fresh un brined turkey from a butcher or some place? Thanks.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I have a question regarding brining a turkey. To those of you that do it, do you use a “normal” store bought turkey that is packaged in a brine solution already and then brine yourself? Or does it have to be a fresh un brined turkey from a butcher or some place? Thanks.
I just buy regular turkey's from the store but not ones that are in a brine already.............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Bump to the top for another year..............

Only 4 of us this year so I'll be doing a much smaller bird...........

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope your bird turs out scrumptious......

· Registered
3,114 Posts
Every Year I get a fresh Turkey which I brine in a food grade
5 gallon bucket with lid ( bought at Smart and Final Delta Park).

4 Cups Kosher salt ( dissolve in water before adding Turkey)
1 large bunch of Fresh Rosemary
1 large bunch of Fresh Thyme
1 large bunch of Fresh Sage ( All these herbs I grow myself)
Celery tops

Brine over night
I have an 2nd refer (aka beer/beverage fridge)

Pat dry 2 hours before cooking and let sit at room Temp.
Before cooking loosen the skin over the Breast meat
Stuff soften Butter under skin ( between meat and skin)
Then place fresh Sage leaves in a pattern on top of breast meat
( between meat and skin)

Melt butter and white wine (cheap riesling) to baste
Cover Turkey with cheese cloth soaked in basting liquid
Place Turkey in a roasting pan on a rack
cook 1st half hour at 425
cut back temp to 350 and baste every 30 minutes
Take cheesecloth off 1 hour before finished to brown skin

Turkey should be finished cooking in about half the normal time and stays
extremely moist with crispy skin

Gobble Gobble Gobble

· Premium Member
3,138 Posts
My turkey recipe....Order a dozen pork tamales. Not a big fan of Turkey and decided to Mexican theme for Thanksgiving this year. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bill Rogue V.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Getting to be that time of year again, so a push to the top for some really good turkey cookin stuff...........

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Another delicious turkey for 2021. Didn't really do anything different this year but the gravy was exceptional........

.......and my wife's scratch made italian sausage stuffing was fantastic. She even made her own croutons.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 72 Posts