IFish Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
+1 for spatchcock. I've turned many people onto a simple salt/sugar brine or apple juice/salt/other stuff brine plus spatchcock grilled bird. Smoke or no smoke, they are all good. My buddies son never cared for turkey until he had a brined bird.

I'm not cooking this year but will probably pick one up on sale the New Years

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here we go again for another turkey day............

Got the brine prepared last night, chillin in the frig. Turkey goes swimmin tonight when I get home from work............

· Registered
16,717 Posts
Jeff, I'm going to Crock-pot a turkey breast today. Supposed to be incredibly moist, and, resting on two halves of an onion and two halves of a head of garlic for the 7-hour soak, it allegedly makes killer drippings for gravy. At the end of the cook, you slip it under the broiler for a couple of minutes to crisp up the skin.

:excited:

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
That sounds good Bill, we will have to try that one......

Got our bird swimmin last night. Spatchcock and onto a bed of carrots, celery, onion, sliced orange and lemons then into the Traeger around 10.

Gonna make an apple pie in the Traeger after the bird is done for desert.....

· Registered
8,040 Posts
Mmmm, food! I just put my home cured ham on the smoker, will add the abt's later.

My kids are making the turkey and trimmings, and hosting dinner today so I'm looking forward to that.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

· Registered
543 Posts
A little bit late posting, but here's one I did in my Louisiana grill. I did not brine, I placed Herb butter all over under the skin, rubbed the outside with olive oil and sprinkled on my herb blend. 1 1/2hrs @ 175°, bumped the temp to 325° until internal breast temp hit 168°, pulled out and let rest wrapped with foil for 30min. Yum

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
A little bit late posting, but here's one I did in my Louisiana grill. I did not brine, I placed Herb butter all over under the skin, rubbed the outside with olive oil and sprinkled on my herb blend. 1 1/2hrs @ 175°, bumped the temp to 325° until internal breast temp hit 168°, pulled out and let rest wrapped with foil for 30min. Yum
Looks great................

Next time try cooking it on a bed of rough cut carrots, celery, sweet onion, with a can of low sodium chicken stock............

Really helps with keeping everything moist and adds flavor as well. The veggies are wonderful as well.............

· Registered
7,240 Posts

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Have to know, how do you guy's that put stuff under the skin get the skin back on for cooking? I've never had a wild turkey but seem's people either love it or hate it. Friend of mine years ago gave me a recipe for wild goose. Take one wild goose and brine it 24 hrs. Then put your favorite spices on it and stuff the cavity with dressing. Put it on a plank and cook for two hours. Remove the bird and scoup out the dressing. Throw away the bird and dressing and eat the plank!

Those thing's have started coming through my place this year. Probably try one one day. If all else fails, I can grind it up, mix with chicken manure and use it for fertilizer!

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Have to know, how do you guy's that put stuff under the skin get the skin back on for cooking?
To put my herb butter mix under the skin, I make a small hole in the membrane between the skin and the breasts and thighs. I take about a golf ball sized amount of herb butter and shove it in. Then I use my hands or a wooden spoon to massage it around from the outside. If I need more I'll repeat as needed. I'm sure there's YouTube video on how to do it as well......

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Bumping this to the top, it almost turkey time again...............

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Pushing this one to the top again.........

It's almost turkey time again this year and this has been our go-to turkey recipe for quite some time......

Be sure to read through the thread as there's been some really good content that has been added by others as well......

Always turns out great.....

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
A little hint, something my wife does......

After you've carved your turkey don't throw out the carcass. Put in a plastic bag once cooled and in the refrigerator. The next day or two my wife will boil it in a big stock pot and strain off the broth. Having been cooked in the Traeger the broth comes out with nice mild smokey flavor. She'll them put it gallon Ziploc bags and freeze. She'll use this stock for turkey noodle soup throughout the year. We also use it as a replacement for the stock in the spatchcock recipe above the next thanksgiving........

Really easy to do.....

· Registered
2,516 Posts
I tried to take over Thanksgiving dinner with my awesome enchiladas but got voted off the island.
Only brother in law was with me, and he's an idiot ;-)
So it'll be turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, et al, with pickled herring for the hearty few. Maybe lutefisk if we're lucky.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
And the process starts again for another year. Just got the brine in the frig to cool for the bird to go swimmin tomorrow night.......

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
I'll be putting a turkey on the traeger for the first time this year. I'm pretty excited to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beedub, check out Traeger's Spatchcock Citrus Herb Butter recipe (the one I have at the top of this thread. Super easy to do, cooks really fast, and is by far the most moist turkey I've ever made..............It's the only way I Treager my turkey's now.

If you're interested in this recipe, look at post #16. This is the way I do it.......

Which ever way you go, good cookin........and remember, watch those temps.

· Super Moderator
9,720 Posts
For all you ever wanted to know about cooking a turkey read “The Thanksgiving Turkey Guide” on the Thermoworks Blog. I’d post a link but I shouldn’t set a bad example by violating the aup, Lol.

I’ll be cooking my little 13 pounder on the Big Green Egg for the first time after several years on the Traeger. If it works out well the Traeger may be going up for sale soon...

I’m trying out a 3 day dry brine for the first time too.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts