IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a spatchcock citrus herb butter turkey in the Traeger this year...................

Brine in salt/brown sugar/herbs/orange/lemon mixture for 24 hours, then split it open (spatchcock), rub herb butter under the skin, sprinkle with pork/poultry seasoning on the outside for prep.

Place turkey on top of bed of onion/carrots/celery/sliced orange/sliced lemon/fresh herbs in a roasting pan.

Cook on smoke for 1 hour, then finish at 350 deg..........

(see Traeger website for recipe, mine is slightly modified)

yum yum.....

· Registered
532 Posts
Trying a pre-brined bird from Trader Joe's this year. Probably just roast it unimaginatively in our tiny English oven. Mashed taters with scallions, green bean casserole and this cornbread stuffing side should help.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/michael-symon/cornbread-stuffing-recipe.html
Bill, brining is the ONLY way to go when I do any poultry, and I have converted quite a few coworkers to this idea. I'd say next time, just get a regular bird and brine it yourself! Aside from the salt, I do some oranges, spices, pep corns, fish sauce (trust me) and a few other things, all into a 5 gallon bucket for 48 hours. And if you are doubtful, ask any of the guys over on WestFly to my "cheffing" abilities! Major points are basically bird fully thawed and cool brine if heating it up to dissolve salt. I use regular table salt and it needs no heat to dissolve into the water.

S.C.I.

· Registered
543 Posts
I'm doing a spatchcock citrus herb butter turkey in the Traeger this year...................

Brine in salt/brown sugar/herbs/orange/lemon mixture for 24 hours, then split it open (spatchcock), rub herb butter under the skin, sprinkle with pork/poultry seasoning on the outside for prep.

Place turkey on top of bed of onion/carrots/celery/sliced orange/sliced lemon/fresh herbs in a roasting pan.

Cook on smoke for 1 hour, then finish at 350 deg..........

(see Traeger website for recipe, mine is slightly modified)

yum yum.....

Did this for my church feast this past Sunday. James Gang game bird seasoning rubbed on the day before, then on my Louisiana Grill @ ~260° until temp in the right places reached 165°(~4.5hrs).

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Bringing this one back from last year.......

I'm going to do the same spatchcock turkey again this year (recipe at the top of the page) as it got rave reviews last thanksgiving and was really easy to do and cooked very quickly.....

Food Turkey meat Hendl Drunken chicken Ingredient

Reactions: Bill Rogue V.

· Registered
1,450 Posts
We will again continue our tradition of having a Spanek roasted turkey because there is no messing with perfection!

Use the turkey-sized Spanek vertical roaster
Rub turkey with olive oil
Rub turkey with Montreal seasoning
Roast

And you are done. Simple and produces a consistently awesome turkey.

· Registered
17,451 Posts
Savory Brined Turkey injected with garlic butter

Smoked on the Traeger Pecan pellets 1st hour 350, down to smoke for 2 hours and adjust as necessary as dinner draws near. I also limit the size of the bird to 12-14# and do two of them.

· Registered
16,717 Posts
Jeff, your spatchcocked bird looks absolutely scrumptious.
I may try the recipe in the November/December issue of Cook's Illustrated.
Instead of brining, you rub salt under the skin and let it work its magic for 24-48 hours. To get an even cook, you preheat the roasting pan on top of a pizza stone to 500. You sprinkle baking powder on top of the breast skin (to assure a crisp brown), cover with breast with double foil, then put the bird in and turn the temp down to 425 for 45 minutes, then pull the foil and reduce temp to 325 until you get 160 degrees in the breast meat and 175 in the thigh.
Whole idea is to have white and dark meat done at the same time to avoid drying out the breast meat. Pizza stone keeps the heat on the back of the bird.
Also splurged and ordered a fat separator from Amazon. Will make it super easy to make heart-healthier gravy.

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Artwo what is your modified recipe consist of? Can you let us know the measurements of the ingredients please. Would like to try this for Thanksgiving. Thanks!
I pretty much follow the Traeger Citrus Herb Turkey recipe.........

http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/poultry/spatchcock-citrus-turkey

My modifications are...

Brining turkey:
- To measure how much brine you need, I put the wrapped turkey in my food safe container (purchased at Cash & Carry) then add water to cover the entire bird. Remove the turkey and that will give you the measurement of how much brine you'll need to make. Amounts will vary depending on the size of the bird. I brine my bird in the container in my gaage refrigerator over night by just removing a shelf or two.

- I make my brine up the night before and put it in the refrigerator over night so it's cold when I add the turkey the next day. Make brine on Tuesday night and put in refrigerator, put bird in brine Wednesday night, rinse/prep/cook bird on Thursday.........

Cooking turkey:
- I put a few orange and lemon slices in the base that the turkey cooks on in the pan. It adds a nice citrus element to the gravy made from the drippings. The gravy was a huge hit last Thanksgiving, I'll make more quantity this year.

- I don't brush the outside with olive oil. I lightly coat the outside with some of the herb butter and sprinkle with Traegers pork/poultry rub. I don't use any salt or pepper as the pork/poultry rub has enough flavor.

- I run my Traeger on smoke for the first hour or so of cooking time, then I turn it up to the 350 deg. temp to finish cooking. This adds a bit more smokey flavor to the meat.

Herb butter:
- I don't use their seasoning recipe. I just mix the butter with some herb de provence seasoning from the store and the garlic.

A couple tips:
- Don't let it overcook, check regularly so you don't go over the 170 deg. breast meat temp. I did a 22# turkey last year and it was done in about 3-3 1/2 hours, this style cooks fairly quickly.

-If the turkey starts to get over brown just cover it with some foil.

- I let mine rest under foil on a cutting board for about 15-20 minutes before I carve.

That's all I got, it's a really easy recipe to follow, and it puts out a really nice tasting turkey (and gravy).............

Enjoy

· Registered
3,919 Posts
Gonna have to try that Spatchcocked method next :food:

Yesterday I did something a little different than the usual. I had a 14lb bird I also had the Weber brand "beer can chicken" seasoning. I melted 1 cube of butter and added some of the seasoning and a tablespoon of lime juice simmered for about ten min. I used an injector and went to town on the bird. poured what little remained on bird and rubbed all over then added more dry seasoning as well. Baked (covered) for about 3 hrs @ 325 when the breast read 165 on the thermometer. I pulled it and left it covered for about 30 min. It was probably the best turkey we have had PERIOD !! Every yr it seems I'm trying different ways and I've done a bunch :flowered: But this one was simple and tasted amazing !!

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A big hit again this year. 17# done in three hours and I ran it on smoke for the first hour.......
Food Tableware Ingredient Lechona Recipe

· Registered
16,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Bumping this one to the top for the Thanksgiving season.............

I'll be doing another spatchcock bird again this year........

1 - 20 of 72 Posts