IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here in Beaverton it seems there are intersection panhandlers everywhere.

I've watched the same guy on the same corner for the last 2 years.

First he stood on the corner looking sad with a sign.
Then he upgraded to a cane.
Then he upgraded to crutches.
Now he has a wheel chair.

Here's my beef.
People are handing them coins and cash. The light turns green. Cars move forward. Then they all STOP while one driver flashes a buck for the "crippled" man to waddle out to collect. Invariably, he'll drop it causing additional delays.

Needless to say 2 or 3 cars get through the light when 12-15 should have made it.
I'm all for helping the needy, but isn't their a better, safer way that will prevent unnecessary traffic tie-ups?

I keep thinking to the ABC news story about a panhandler who they followed and it turns out he was not a vet (as his sign said), had a 4 bedroom house with a 3 car garage in an up-scale neighborhood.
His job was pan handling.

Rand done. What's your take on this topic?

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
The majority take the money to the corner store and buy a 40. All cities have resources for food and clothing and shelter.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I think city governement should get a handle on this (pun intended). I know beaverton had delayed the approval of the sportsmans warehouse plans because it was too "auto oriented" and it will sit at the gateway to the city, yet they tollerate pan handlers at all their on/off ramps? Seems odd.

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Seatlle news followed a woman panhandler for a week. They filmed her with her school age daughter "working".
At the end of the week, they followed her to her house in Bellevue. Her husband works for Microsoft.

The police said it is legal to do what she was doing, but they were investigating her for keeping her child out of school.
The info was passed to the IRS and they started an investigation.

Some of the panhandlers in the PDX/ Vancouver area actually work for a guy in SE Portland. He gives them hours, locations and schedules. He gets a cut from their take. He claims them as "contractors". Portland( SAM ADAMS) is trying to shut him down, but he is using their own rules against them, and doing quite well.

I don't give them a look.

A guy had a sign that read "any help appreciated".
I pointed out the unemployment office and he cussed me.

Cockroaches.:berry:

·
King Lingcod
49,665 Posts
No, I tell you what, not 4 words. These people are a burden to society!! They chose to be bums! If you have two arms, two legs, two eyes, two ears "get a real job" They just do not want to pay taxes. They do this by being bums. I have never given an able bodied bum a dime. Remember I am a Vet, so when I see a bum that says they are a Vet , that upsets me. Even if they are a Vet (Except disabled) it up sets me. The one thing the military taught me was to be independent. When you are at 1100 feet in the air and your main parachute fails to open, there is no tree hugger to open my reserve chute for me, it is all on you baby!!!!! America is a give me give me give me nation. Forgive me JFK(if I blow the quote) , but what happened to "Ask not what your Country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" Don’t feel sorry for them, kick them in their butt, that’s is what they really need!

·
The Mods Must Be Crazy!
24,995 Posts
Without knowing each of their situations I cannot pass judgment on them with a broad paint brush. For every story of the person panhandling for the day and driving off in their new Mercedes there are thousands of stories of people who due to a variety of unfortunate circumstances end up living on the streets. I cannot imagine what that is like, and I am glad that I don't know.

There is a saying out there about how a society can be judged by how they treat their least. Something to chew on.

However, if they are holding up traffic then that is a hazard and police should be asked to intervene.

·
Registered
750 Posts
As long as people keep giving them $$ they wont leave. Human nature, why work hard if I can get it for free. Some of them might be in total need, but others are just out to make a quick easy buck. I do not give them anything but maybe a soda or small burger. Never $$. Who knows what they will use it for. Offered one to come and rake leaves when his sign said will work for anything and he turned me down. If you stare them down most of the time they will back down.

I could go on and on about (socalled) transients and imigrant workers which we pay for to be here (AND SEALS) but there is not enough time to sit here and type. I have a REEL life.

Remember to take a kid fishing. You will remember it forever. :)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Just do the math to figure out how much these people are making.
Most light cycles are about every 1-2 minutes. If one car every 5 cycles gives a bum a buck, they are taking "home" anywhere from $12-24/hour (without paying a dime in taxes except for on the cigarettes and liquor they purchased after they "got off work" the day before).

I think it is wrong and the fact that our goverment officials find it acceptable is even worse. :twocents:

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
I don't mind helping people truly in need but these people are not them. They are manipulating the good Samaritans of the world. I see the same people week after week. All of my suggestions for dealing with them involve things like paint ball guns, coins heated with blow torches and violate the AUP...
In other words, I don't like them very much

·
Registered
610 Posts
Good article on KATU web page about panhandlers in Coos Bay,saying the police estimate they make 300 a day and this is tax free.Apparently it is protected by free speech but as long as there are the easy touches giving them money they will be there.And no matter what you call them.homeless,downtrodden,financially challenged or whatever the current PC word of the day is BUMS is BUMS and should be dealt with appropriately.If they choose to not work and stand on a street corner begging,then that is their choice in life but do not ask me to feel for them or give them anything because they might have a reason for being there.We all make choices in this life and if this is theirs then so be it,too many jobs available around here if you really want to work for the money,the illegals seem to have no problems working but we are supposed to feel for the bums,get a job and stop being a drain on society.Thats becoming a large problem in PDX,way too many people with their hand out for money,if your not part of the solution then guess what,your part of the problem!!:wink:

·
Registered
6,938 Posts
Some of the panhandlers in the PDX/ Vancouver area actually work for a guy in SE Portland. He gives them hours, locations and schedules.
That would explain the Division off-ramp from SB I205. Those guys are a little too organized, and it's been the same ones for years.

It's like anything else in a consumer-driven economy; it there's no market for it, it'll go away.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I offered one a job cleaning up my yard, a ride to and from. Did not want to do it.

I think most are on a career path.

DW

·
Registered
23,401 Posts

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Passed a law that went into effect Jan. 1, 2008 down here in Medford. No begging at "controlled"(stop light) intersections. Didn't work - seems worse.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Saw one in Portland whose sign said "Girlfriend kidnapped. Need money for ransom." Had to laugh at that one.

But I have never and will never give money to someone collecting at an intersection.

·
Premium Member
30,286 Posts
Beaverton Police caught a highly placed executive, with a big company we were told we would have recognized had they told us the company name, panhandling near the Fred Meyer some time back. (This came directly from Beaverton police with other officers in attendence.) The guy would change into rags, in his car in the lot and panhandle over the noonhour. Don

·
Banned
945 Posts
Personally we give 10% to food banks (usually in food), shelters such as battered women with kids, stuff like that. I wont give a dime to a corner beggar. (I have confronted a few after the wife came home and said they were bangin on her car window for $$..that got ugly...) But to each there own :flowered:

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Whenever i pull up and there begging next to the window of the truck i just stare em straight in the eyes till they look away. Makes my wife mad but i say this, life is all about choices its about time they started making some good ones. I know there is the exception now and again but for the most part they can be productive in some sense...

1 - 20 of 55 Posts