IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing the same lines for quite a few years now and was intersted in trying others to see if there are some I would like better. If you care to give your opinion on your favorite line, please let me know. Here's what I currently go with for Steelhead.

Summer water conditions - 8lb Izorline Platinum

Advantages - Strong, good clarity while in the water, inexpensive($34 7500yds), low memory

Disadvantages - Not great abrasion resistance, streches out fairly quick

Winter water conditions - 12lb Maxima Ultragreen

Advantages - Strong, good clarity while in the water, decent abrasion resistance

Disadvantages - Streches out quickly, expensive.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Rip a lip

Ultra-green or Trileen XT :smile:

Geek
"After this lamaze class is over, ya doin anything?" :grin:

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Steelhead(SUMMER): Sufix DNA 10lb.
Limp smooth low memory and casts like a dream

BIG steelhead (winter) 15lb. ultragreen
Strong strong strong
little too much memory hard to cast light offerings (very stiff)

Salmon Power pro mainline and berkley big game leaders

Berkeley big game is the best in oversized mono in my opinion. It ties wonderful knots and has amazing abrasion resistance. Power pro because it floats (bobber man only)and is small diameter.

This what you were looking for?

MH

·
Registered
790 Posts
For drifting and jig/float fishing, I use Spiderwire Fusion.

For pitching hardware, I use Trilene Big Game.

For big water trolling (mainstem CR, Buoy 10), I go with Tuff Line or Spidewire.

·
Registered
287 Posts
steelhead/spinners: 10# silver thread co-polymer.
steelhead/bobber: power pro main, fluorocarbon leader.
salmon: power pro.

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I've been a lifelong fan of any Stren product. This year I tried Sufix DNA and love it. I've also tried YoZuri Hybrid with mixed results, I can't see it. Izorline platinum is awesome but still can't see it, thwe hi vis version reminds me too much of golden stren which I can't get too comfortable using for steelhead. Tuff Line XP for fall salmon and sturgeon on the big rod.

G

·
Originally posted by rola76:
Maxima Ultragreen for most and Power Pro for bobber/jig fishing.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ditto :grin:
I'll use Fireline or Tuf Line too but Utragreen is my mono of choice.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone use the Berkley IronSilk yet???? I was looking at it last night and was thinking I would try it, cept joes in sherwood does not carry it so I spooled Maxima UG. For those of you who fish fireline, spiderwire etc. for bobber/jig fishing do you use a leader?? How big??? What kind of knot do you use to attach it to your main-line??? Does it seem to stretch the leader out???

thanks in advance!!

jb

·
Registered
908 Posts
Power Pro on all mainlines.

When I need a leader it varies from Izor, to Ande to ultragreen.

Izor for Steelhead

Ande for Fall Salmon

Ultragreen for Buoy 10 or any saltwater situation.

Jim

·
Registered
10,611 Posts
Big game Baitcaster driftfishing, Cheap and works well.
Trilene solar for spin driftfishing, Limp, Cheap, High vis
Power pro for boatfishing salmon, no stretch, great stregnth, Cuts anchorlines like butter :grin: .
Toughline XP high vis for jig fishing, Its the best IMHO.
Leaders, either xt, maxima, or if I am Feeling wealthy seguar florocarbon.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Nobody else uses PLINE!??? Ive had nothing but great results with it for steelhead and springers on the Big D. Its very abrasion resistant and havent found a another mono thats near as strong!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
For my large fish set ups I use Power Pro or Tuff line and all the rest I use Silver thread or Excaliber ( same line, same company). I use silver thread because it is a copolymer type line. They will have the least strech of all lines except the super lines like Tuff line and they have the greatest abrasion resistance of all lines except solid wire. If you have never tried a copolymer line you should.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Big Game for Main line on Divers/Plugs/Drift gear.

Power Pro for Bobber Fishing.

Maxima Ultra green for all Leaders.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Slowly making the conversion to Power Pro. So far I'm happy with it on my Steelie-Salmon drift gear but for the time being I like the 'give' that mono has when trolling for Springers in the Willy so I'll stay with it for now. All my mono is Maxima Chameleon, ( mainline and leaders ) and for my ultra-light outfits I'll stick with mono so it doesn't seem like I'm fishing with sewing thread. Fly gear is a floater and a 500 grain sink-tip on a #9 weight.

·
Registered
130 Posts
i agree with slammin kokanees........PLINE is the only line for me.....nothing else will do.....run it from 8lbs - 30 never had any problems with it. :cheers:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Steelhead:
Floats-10lb Stren Magna-thin, 8lb Seaguar leader
Side Drifting-10lb Ande Hi-Vis, 12lb Vanish (Vanish below 12lb stinks, but 12lb & above it's OK)

Chinook:
Backtrolling-25 or 30lb mono-flavor of the week, 25lb or 40lb Ultragreen leader
Backbouncing-65lb super braid-flavor of the week, 25lb or 40lb Ultragreen leader
Floats-80lb Tuff, 25lb or 40lb Ultragreen Leader(sometimes, I just use my backbouncing line setup for bobber fishing)

Keeper Sturgeon:
65lb super braid-flavor of the week, Heavy (100lb?) dacron leader.

[ 05-09-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: KillerDave ]

·
Registered
679 Posts
For mono it is tough to beat Berkley Big Game.
If you are a braid guy I like the Tuf Lines.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts