IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tandem or single, what brand/make do you have? how do you like it? what would you go with if your not happy with it? pics of your rig if you can would not hurt either. am looking for something to do it all in. sit on tops are a plus.

· Registered
41 Posts
tandem or single, what brand/make do you have? how do you like it? what would you go with if your not happy with it? pics of your rig if you can would not hurt either. am looking for something to do it all in. sit on tops are a plus.
I have a Hobie Revolution 13 and love it. Actually I have 2, one for me and one for the lady. We love our kayaks. They are very stable and can cruise easily at 4 to 5 mph. We have caught oversized sturgeon on them and am gonna take them out for springers this year. They have fins which make fishing from them so easy. We have ours rigged with rod holders, fish finders and anchor systems that work nicely on the Columbia. You should check them out; they cost quite a bit but are well worth the money. We made the mistake of buying cheaper paddle kayaks first and then just decided to get the hobies and I am so glad we did. You should check them out. Also there is a lot of information at Northwestkayakangler.com. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Duckchef

· Registered
2,702 Posts
I have a Hobie outback. It is wider and shorter than the revo. That gives it better initial stability, more deck space to mount stuff and more capacity. The price is that it is less efficient and does not track as well as the revo.

There are also a bunch of great paddle kayaks. Any kayak store worth it's salt will let you demo their kayaks. Paddle (or pedal) as many as you can before deciding. Find what works for you.

· Registered
227 Posts
I love my Hobie Revolution 13, but I'm a bit biased. It is a really fishy kayak. I use it for the ocean and anywhere I plan to cover lots of water or expect to see decent currents.

Even the wife loves it!

My newest addition to the fleet is a Hobie Pro Angler 12. I really like it for bass, sturgeon, salmon in the rivers, crabbing, and easy-water fisheries.

· Registered
505 Posts
I also own a Hobie. Mine is the 16 foot Adventure. For a taller guy, 6'3", I find it more comfortable than the shorter cockpit of the Outback or Revo. I also own two Ocean Kayak Trident 13s. Great boats and I have been 5 miles offshore for halibut. Personally I think less is better when rigging a kayak. Simple rod holder and tackle box. Depth finder and GPS really help in the salt too.

Sit on tops offer you great stability. I was able to catch and land this 80 pound halibut fairly easily.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
thanks for info KEEP EM COMING! am salivating over those revo`s.....low end or high end, more info mo betta! .......also how are you transporting? trailer? back of your truck, car rack? i have to have one just not sure which one....use to have the malibu 2 but hard times came and had to give it up years ago. oh ya and stability is a plus as well.

· Registered
643 Posts
2000 era spectrum solo built by my brother in laws brother. After getting bored with it i decided to convert it. mounted a small 30lb thrust minnkota and put in some access ports for more storage. mounted 2 rod holders, 2 rod storage areas, and an anchoring system. In all I'm probably in it less than 200 bucks. The boat was a gift. Fishes the lewis and other flatwater just fine.

Attachments

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
how are your kayaks in the rough...wind/ wind waves/ boat chop...how rough i guess is too rough? if i go up a certain tributary from the columbia where it will be calm and then come back and find out the columbia is ripping am i gonna be in trouble? or the ocean....if i go way out and the wind starts up.....
am on the verge of getting a revo or an outback and another for my daughter or a fishing buddy for that am thinking ocean kayaks trident.... oh heck maybe a revo and an outback.

· Registered
505 Posts
Stability is mater of personal preference. I have been out in some very sloppy weather that that made others very uncomfortable. Physical fitness is a very important when you encounter foul weather. If you can't get home you are in trouble.

· Registered
227 Posts
how are your kayaks in the rough...wind/ wind waves/ boat chop...how rough i guess is too rough? if i go up a certain tributary from the columbia where it will be calm and then come back and find out the columbia is ripping am i gonna be in trouble? or the ocean....if i go way out and the wind starts up.....
am on the verge of getting a revo or an outback and another for my daughter or a fishing buddy for that am thinking ocean kayaks trident.... oh heck maybe a revo and an outback.
If you're fishing in places where you have to worry about strong currents, e.g. the Columbia near Astoria or Tillamook, then you need to plan your trips according to the tidal cycle. The currents in these areas can easily get strong enough that you won't be able to work against them in a kayak.

As far as really choppy conditions go, it's like fungunnin said. It can easily boil down to personal preference. I've played around in Tillamook Bay with my Revo in 3-4 foot wind waves and I felt very comfortable. Others may feel more comfortable in a boat with more stability, such as the Outback. It's also about being comfortable in your kayak. It's important to know how your kayak reacts to certain things, like large boat wakes, surf, wind, etc.. The more comfortable you are in your kayak, the better understanding you'll have about what your limitations are.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well i appreciate info from all...thanks. am demoing the revo and outback this sunday, right now even without getting into one first am leaning toward the outback because of the deck room....stability is a plus too because it will be my daughters first yak as well as for my own sake. am planning on making some great memories with her...plus when she can`t make it will have a yak to loan a fishing/ crabbing buddy.....am very excited about this, should have them by lake opener end of this month.:meme::meme:

· Registered
505 Posts
Personally I don't like the outback. The width slows it down too much for me for ocean work or heavy currents. Plus it is nearly impossible to paddle if needed.

But then again it comes down personal preference.

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Personally I don't like the outback. The width slows it down too much for me for ocean work or heavy currents. Plus it is nearly impossible to paddle if needed.

But then again it comes down personal preference.

exactly why am demoing sunday perhaps before doing anything will see about demoing the trident from another shop before i make my mind up...the idea of using leg power is really appealing and if tire of that use the paddle. possible i may end up with a revo and an outback or one of those along with a trident or the likes, decisions decisions decisions...another thing on the revo... why is their not a rod holder up front for trolling? am i mistaken on that? or is that something that is easily added?

· Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
exactly why am demoing sunday perhaps before doing anything will see about demoing the trident from another shop before i make my mind up...the idea of using leg power is really appealing and if tire of that use the paddle. possible i may end up with a revo and an outback or one of those along with a trident or the likes, decisions decisions decisions...

another thing on the revo... why is their not a rod holder up front for trolling? am i mistaken on that? or is that something that is easily added?
....and are they doable for toting a crabpot or two and doing some crabbing off of?...last questions, i think:doh:

· Registered
227 Posts
I agree again with Fungunnin. The Outback isn't a quick boat and that's what I don't like about it. The Revo is a quick boat, however it is limited in deck space for mounting stuff and carrying equipment, but I've made it work. The best thing to do is what you're going to do: DEMO!

Rod holders are very easy to add in the forward cockpit area for trolling. Some people use Scotty, some use RAM. Style of rod holder boils down to personal preference like almost everything else. Here's a write-up I've done on how I've rigged my Revo from another website:

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=5957.0

Be sure to read the whole thread since I have changed the way things are setup a couple of times.

....and are they doable for toting a crabpot or two and doing some crabbing off of?...last questions, i think:doh:
Yes. From this past Sunday:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.