IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering what types of divers were favored, me personally, I like jet divers, #10 and#20 in rivers, sometimes not quite sure which one I want to use though. I grew up fishing the Kalama with 1/2 oz, hot and tots, colored black and they always worked good, starting to think maybe I should go back to hot`n`tot. Do you like to put your divers on a dropper or not, thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
I prefer mag Hot n' tots down to 20', mediums to 12'. Anything over 20' I use #30 divers W/O a dropper. Keep in mind I don't fish the BIG rivers with holes over 30' too.
It also depends on the water I'm fishing. If I'm in a run that holds Springers AND steelhead I stick with the Hot n' tots, generally those spots won't even be close to 20'. If I'm tartgeting Springers in a deeper hole, even under 20' I'll switch to the jet divers.
I see about half and half of guys using both divers and Hot n' tots, all with success. The thing about the Hot n' tots I like is the LACK of wiggle can alert you to a hang up on a rock or snag a little faster than the jet diver.
IMHO, the wiggle turns em' on a bit. On very rare occasions I've had a fish slap the diver but not often. I paint em' black too but went several seasons experimenting with or without the paint and it didn't seem to make a difference.
Possibly a Hot n' tot with some flash may actually help you in some cases. People use big flashers with bait behind them in fresh AND salt water so I would have to tell you to go with what you personally prefer and can fish effectively. Most of the game is getting it in front of em'.
:smile:

·
Registered
952 Posts
I like the Delta Divers. I mainly use them down at the coast in bays,CR or big blue. I have had great success with them for silvers and nooks.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
I also like the Delta divers. I have caught 2 springers in the Wilamette trolling herring behind a delta diver with a fish flash. If you are trolling the deeper water in the harbor area or around Milwaukie, etc they work really well.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankx for your input, I was mainly talking about smaller rivers, but in the estuary and towards the mouth I like to use just ball sinkers on a slider, works great and puts less pressure on the rod and angler, but I also use the #1 Deep Six and use Deltas as well, thanx you guys. :cheers:

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hot-nTots in rivers for steel and mag Hot-n-Tots in deeper holes for steel,kings and silvers..

·
Registered
10,493 Posts
I use both jet divers and hot 'n' tots. I leave a hook on the hots, and it's get bit once or twice a year. I use the jet divers more, don't really have a reason why.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts