IFish.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it Mills bridge and the run takes out at the guide shop, I have ran the guide shop to sollie smith at 2.9, anything I should know about the upper run?? Difficulty??? I guess I could call the guide shop but I figured I would ask you guys first??

·
Registered
740 Posts
Next launch up from Mills Bridge would be Syskyville(sp?). The launch is a slide so you will need rope. For the drift, there is one spot that can be tough, they call it the Minefield. With the water this high, you'll have no problems if you have experience with your drift boat.

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hooker what is the mills bridge run like?? It puts in along the highway and takes out at the guide shop right??

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
172 Posts
Hi guys,
I think that the map at this site on the ESPN from the ESPN website will help.
ESPN Wilson River Map and Story

The story is about summer run but it is a good read. The map has helped me out. It isn't real clear about which ramps are ramps and which are slides. I just bring all the equipment necessary for a lide and then smile and hop in if it is an improved ramp.
Hope this helps,

Good luck and tight lines

FOD

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Make sure you have a strong rope. I've heard of some disasters from ropes breaking. If you really want to see an ugly boat slide go to the next slide up,Vanderzandens, it's very steep. Nice water up there too.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Been down them all. In fact I still have ill effects of a day some years ago helping my buddy get his DB down the Vanderzanden slide. It had snow on the slide and I was helping by keeping the DB in the slide as well as could be expected. Those rocks where like ice cubes. Going down the slope one leg slips while the other sticks. Tore all the ligaments in my leg and wore a brace for 6 months. But fished all day and limited out. That mine field is not that bad if your good on the sticks. The put in further up at MP 10 is a real widow maker. Got to have a lot of rope and strong arms. Don't take a new boat down that slide if you like paint on your boat. Even the hike down that slope is not for people out of shape.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Unless they've added some side boards, be very very carefull to not lose the boat off the side of the slide. They are slick enough when wet. When it's frosty/icey.....well you can imagine.
I was drifting Siski with another boat and his boat went off the side. It took everything we all had to get that thing back up on the slide.

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Vanderzanden is scary lookin' but it isn't too bad with two guys. You must have a guy at the bottom with a LOUD voice to tell you how close the back of the boat is to the water. EASE it down gently so the guy on the bottom can lift the stern up a bit to keep it from dunking. I've never had this problem but have heard stories of guys dropping the boat way too fast at the bottom and filling it with water.
Minefield is the spot that could be tricky for a novice but if you know what to expect it's not a big deal, just take it slow.
Some guys won't float it under 4.7 or so, I've done it down to 4.25 and not bumped.
At 6ft levels that float will be FAAAST, water is really moving.
I've never launched at Sisky, I figure since I'm going to use the slide I might as well put in as high as I can.
Good luck. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts