IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know everyone out there has the best fish/depth finder. What is it, how much did it cost, and what do you like best about it.
I have had several but one of the best was a Lowrance X-15 paper chart machine. That thing showed me everything and I loved it but the paper charts were expensive. I don't like the digitals as well but less expensive operating costs.

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
The better digitals are almost as good as the charts. I had one of the paper graphs years ago. It was nice, but big, and a pain.

I have an Eagle Accura 240, which is now a few years ago. Good resolution and good features. However, it fogged up, and Eagle gave me grief about repairing it under warrantee near the end of the warrantee period. It fogged up almost immediately, and I waited until a slow period of fishing to get it fixed. Long story, but I won't buy Eagle again because of it, even though they finally agreed to fix it.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Well, I have a Garmin 240 and a Lowrance, I believe its the 87, I would have to say I like the Lowrance a little more, the screen on my Garmin fogged up, but they are both good fish finders once you learn how to sort through the fish on the screen that arent fish. I bought them off of E-Bay, they are good and alot cheaper.

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
I have an Eagle accura 240. So far for the last two years it has been great. I have not had any problems with it fogging up. But Eagle is just Lowrance's less expensive line. I personally feel Lowrance makes the best depth finder for the money, they just want a lot for them.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Haftafish, I too had an old x15, boy that is a great unit. when I wanted to replace it with a LCD unit,what a disapiontment, The new units didn't have the resolution I was used to.
The guys at FMS showed me the Zercom 2000, it looked almost like the paper readout, but was an LCD. At the time it was 700.00 big ones.OUCH
Good news---Zircom is now owned by Humminbird. There service is the best and they have the Zircom 2000 on a special(check out their web site) for 299.00.
I know it still is a lot , but belive me the unit is really nice, I wouldn't trade mine for an X15 and 25 cases of paper.
Terry

·
Administrator
41,361 Posts
I'm currently lusting after the new Lowrance LMS 320DF. It's dual frequency, 325/500 rms with 50/200 watt transducer, GPS with basemaps that include navaids, navionics compatible and it's half the price of the X15. Wonder why stores can't keep them in stock?

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Haftafish,

The new digital Lowrance X15 is a great one. Get it with the GPS option and it's the do all device.

Spend that tax refund check and get the X16 color.

They both have a nice wide screen.

If you get the GPS chart option let me know. I think I still have the software and card reader for building your own charts.

I went to a Raymarine.

Brion

·
Registered
571 Posts
Haftafish, I just went from a Lowrance X75A3D to an Eagle Fish Elite 320 with GPS and a NW Navionic chip. Yes, Eagle is the "lower end" version of Lowrance, but if you compare feature to feature they are the same exact product with a different case for less money. Again check the specs for like units and check price.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ok all you Lawrence guys! How's about a Bottom Line Tournement Master :tongue: It has been great so far. My Garmin hand held GPS hooks in-line with it. I would just make sure you purchase one that you can turn off the fish ID and be able to adjust sensitivity!

[ 04-22-2003, 09:57 PM: Message edited by: Thick-N-Thin ]

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
are bottom line products made in the USA ?, i know lowrance is now made in mexico so i crossed them off my list, thanks.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Haftafish,

I have a Zercom 2000, I was surprised to see that Terry H has one also. I paid $599.00 and it has been worth every penny of it.

The reason for the surprise is that there have been many discussions about depth finders in this forum before, and none of them have ever mentioned the Zercom LPG2000.

I used to have a Lowrance LMS150. This Zercom unit outperforms it by far. LPG stands for Liquid Paper Graph. I have been able to decern fish holding within 2 inches from the bottom. It's a great unit and for my money the best! There are not alot of fancy menu items to scroll through, just enough features to put you on the fish.

I learned at this year's sportmans show that Hummingbird now owns the unit. I bought Mine before Hummingbird had the rights. I only have one unit in my boat at this time, but intend to get another to adapt to my electric trolling motor. It really might be worth your time to look into one of these units. Depth finders do exactly 2 things. Measure depth and density. This unit does both exceptionally well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Haftafish,

I have and Eagle somethin or other. It cost $96 brand new. It's great as a depth finder. But I use my trusty Lamiglas fish finder. It's the best value out there. The next best brand for the value is my Berkly Buzz Ramsey Fishfinder...Get my drift? Get a depth finder and go fishing!

Good Luck, Dale

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I currently own an Eagle Seafinder 320DF. Dual freq (50mhz and 200 mhz) 4000 watts, 320 x 320 resoulution with menu's stacked on top of menu's. More options than you could want. Thing is one month old, I paid $249 on sale, and it flat won't mark a fish. I have adjusted the transducer to make sure it is mounted correctly. It marks bottom fine, I have adjusted this thing six ways from Sunday, read the manual three times, downloaded Eagle's demo unit so you can play with it right on your computer, and still mark no fish. (The demo marks all kinds of fish but I can't get any to bite on my computer. Of course if I put it on the fish ID I mark all the noise as fish but I know thats not true. I hate this thing and Eagle won't even answer my emails. GI Joes tells me I have to go through Eagle, Joes won't take it back. Stuck with a piece of junk in my estimation. One other possibility, there are no fish in the river. NOT!!!!
:mad:

·
Registered
5,720 Posts
I have a Raytheon L365 and love it. Simple to use and see. Bought it at West Marine a few years ago for $220. The price may have come down a little. I haven't had the need to price one lately. :cheers:

·
Registered
711 Posts
Get a Furuno. I bought their lowest end model last year ($300) and it is awesome. I've owned lowrance, ratheon, and bottom line in the past and this one rocks. There is a reason why most saltwater fishermen have one of these.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts