IFish Fishing Forum banner
2941 - 2960 of 2981 Posts

· Registered
305 Posts
Wow, what do you use for a brine on them oysters? I might have to try oysters sometime.

· Registered
8,041 Posts
Wow, what do you use for a brine on them oysters? I might have to try oysters sometime.
I'm growing to love smoked oysters, maybe even more than fresh.

We usually get a bushel of fresh netarts oysters when down that way, eat the smaller ones raw, bbq the big ones and have a few dozen left over. The leftovers I steam in a pot with a cup or 2 of riesling wine, a cup of water, garlic and ginger, for about 5 minutes to help them open. I do this in batches so I don't overcook the bottom ones, just a single layer at a time. Shuck and put in a cold bowl with the juices, I use a bowl inside an ice water bowl. Then cool and strain the steaming liquid and add back to the oysters along with a little soy sauce and a couple tablespoons of sugar. Brine for a few hours or overnight in the fridge. Then I hot smoke around 200-225 for a couple hours until desired doneness. These ones I did about an hour and a half and then canned them for Christmas presents in small jelly jars with a little olive oil. They keep in the fridge in olive oil about a week or so if not canned.

I've found I like the taste better on fresh shucked oysters like this steamed with wine vs just buying shucked oysters and doing it.

· Registered
8,041 Posts
Ok started a low carb/ketoish diet for a bit. Really not bad, got through the first week of basically zero carbs but lots of meat and now sticking with staying under 20 carbs a day, shooting for 10 to see if I stay in ketosis. Down 5 lbs in the first week. Trying to slowly knock off about 40-50#'s.

Tonight's meal was baked halibut with salad and my first try of fake rice called Skinny, not bad but think it's more noodlish texture than rice.

Food Tableware White rice Ingredient Rice

Should be easy with the bounty of fish and game in the freezers, just cut out the brad, pasta and beer. Not much of a sugar guy anyways, stay away from chips and crap too.

2941 - 2960 of 2981 Posts