IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to shop for a pair of rods for trolling for salmon. What do you folks think are good but not to pricey rods?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Berkley Buzz Ramseys are good cheap rods.

They are pretty stout too for trolling.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
What are you trolling?

If you are not at bouy 10 and the ocean( deep six divers, delta divers, etc ) then the buzz stick is pretty tough to beat. If you fish a lot of herring and lead, or spinners the 8'6" is perfect. If you run lots of kwikfish, the 7'9" is great too. The 9'er is a fine bobber stick, but it is a bit heavy for spinners IMHO.

If that don't work for ya, the North River rods at FMS are a great alternative.

If you decide on the 8'6" Buzz rod, I have one in the Ifish classifieds.

Mark and the IM-7 dog.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
The 8'6" Buzz rod 15-15 or a Northriver in the same configuration will get you going for a great price. The nice thing about the NR rod is Fisherman’s will warranty it in the store for life.

·
Registered
13,823 Posts
Fish On,

The bad part of the NR rods is I could go there to return a rod and still spend 168.35 on other stuff!

"If it were not for FMS, I would not shop at FMS today"

Mark and the profound dog.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I like the one with the fish on it ,,,
I leave my pricy rods home,, & use any rod that will be back-bone enough, 4 a down-rigger, or diver,, with good eyes,& long enough 2 reach around the stern,,keeping out of the props,,etc.

my 2 scents,, :grin:

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
If you want a really great rod try the G-loomis BBR 904C. This is a 7'6" backbouncing rod in the GL2 series. I have used these rods trolling Delta Divers with Fish Flashes for quite some time. They have more than enough power. It also is the ideal rod for fishing springers and upper river brights while anchoring.

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
i'll second that berkley buzz im7 8'6". nice soft tip so you can watch your rig and plenty of backbone for hook setting. good price too.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I spend 95% of my time fishing salmon from a boat... and I am always looking for the best boat rod.
Things I look for
1) I want a nice tip where I can see the anchovy, herring or spinner work, to be this is very important. Some people dont think so, but I can tel when my herring is spinning or flopping same with the anchovy! I know when I am fishing and when I am not!
2) I also want a rod with a fast action, and a nice butt section so when the fish hits there is a good hookset.
I also want a ro dwith "guts" or power, to be able to move a fish around when at the boat or to stop a hard charging fish.
Last year I fished the Rainshadow HS 962 8' 10-20# xfast.. this is a great boat (very similar to the Loomis 981) rod but doesn't fish all of my salmon techniques

the rod that I am fishing this year is the Rainshadow 944c. It's a Mag taper, a nice tip and a very stout butt section.
This rod is 7'10" 12-25#
I have 5 of these right now and have orderes for almost a dozen more to Rogue and Southern OR guides and fisherman.

This rod fishes divers very well, 5oz of lead w/o a problem.. infact I have fished 8 oz and it felt good!
This is my #1 choice for a salmon boat rod!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Lots of cool info.
I am starting to shop for rods too.what's is a good reel for trolling? I have always been a bankie and now I want a good boat set up for fishing with divers and such too.

·
Registered
13,596 Posts
Where are you going to fish? Herring and 6-8 oz of lead in lower T-bay, spinners and 2oz in upper T-bay, combat fishing in the Rogue Bay, B-10, the ocean?? Makes a big difference. I'm with TH, I want some back bone with a sensitive tip, and I like 1-piece whenever possible. That 7'9" Berkeley looks like a decent one. I'm really partial to my 8'2" 1 piece 12-25 Rogue Rod...but I don't really like fishing more than 6 oz with it.

TR

1 - 12 of 12 Posts