IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had a family gathering last week and I overheard a conversation that made me sick. My nephew, a who lives in Washington and mainly fishes the Lewis, was bragging about how he caught 56 steehead in July and sold them to ethnic restraunts for over $2000. He laughed and said "that was only the steelhead!"
What would you do?

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
I can understand your dilemma. Family vs. What's Right!

I would call the authorities, give them the information and ask for annominity. Have the officers contact your relative, confront him with the facts as they know them, and see if he confesses. If he doesn't, the officers can, and will, watch him in the future to see if they can catch him in the act. (My guess is that he will never do it again out of fear.)

If he gets caught, so be it.

I'm sure I'm giving you the easiest way out. Others on the Board will no doubt seek "blood".

Rusty

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,311 Posts
That one isn't hard. Everybody I know, knows darn well what I would do. Hello?... Is this the state police? I would like to talk to a game officer please. Yes, I'll hold, thank you.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Thats a bad situation, but I would make the call.

RF

·
Registered
670 Posts
I do not believe you are doing your nephew a favor by not taking action. At the very least you must confront him.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Go with rusty`s advice.....tell them he is a nephew and all, ask them for their advice....he needs to get caught.

[ 08-11-2003, 07:14 AM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Tunabreath - maybe this will help: When being interviewed for a job with the police dept. at age 18, the panel (yes, panel of 8 city officials :shocked: ) asked me what I would do if I came upon my mother's vehicle parked in a red zone. Would I give her a ticket?

I said, "Absolutely!"

They asked, "But why? She's your mother!"

I responded, "How dare she put me in a position like that!? For that reason alone, I'd give her a ticket."

Not only did your nephew break the law, but he put you and everyone he told in a terrible position to have to decide between the law and family loyalty. What a rotten thing to do!

·
Registered
756 Posts
My wife watches Dr. Phil now and then, I catch a little of it. To share something he'd say, "What part of doing the right thing don't you understand?" It affects us all. Nuff said.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Why don't you have a little talk with your nephew about fishing ethics. Explain to him what you are going to do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts