IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
4,387 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man where to start.......

I have had a lot of great trips this year. Springers on the Columbia and Multnomah Channel, Shad and Peelers in the Gorge, keeper Sturgeon in the estuary, trips over the bar in my sled for tons of Salmon and bottom fish, countless shaker sturgeon, URB's around the Portland area, catfish in the Multomah Channel, the list goes on.

If I had to choose just one, I would have to decline. I could however choose two. My first trip would be taking my sled out in the ocean and putting the smack down on the Coho. Big props to the Salty Dogs for all the help and advice that was sent my way
There is nothing quite like the feeling of skippering your own boat out into the mighty Pacific and nailing boat limits of Salmon and Sea bass and back to port before noon.

The other one that ranked up high was my last trip on the Columbia for URB's. What a banner year we had for those buggers :dance: Nice weather, multiple fish days, tons of action, it was awesome. I made my last trip of the year around the St. Helens area about the second week into October. I was the only boat in sight and the weather was just starting to turn for the worst. I was reluctant to call it a season but the action had dropped off drastically. I went four hours without a bump. The last dying minutes of the tide was at hand and I was almost at peace with the fact that today I would be skunked, and the best URB season I could remember was coming to an end. Just then it happen, rod buckled and the reel starting screaming. It took me a long time to get that nickel bright hen to the boat. I enjoyed every head shake, run, and jump she could give me. I stayed on anchor and finally was able to put her in the net. There she was, twenty one pounds of pure beauty that marked the end of the season and rekindled the excitement for next year. I was by myself that day which was odd because I always seem to have a boat full of my family or a couple of my fishing partners.

Sorry for the long post but I took a long hard look at my fishing season I had this year and all the joy that came from it. I was lucky to share great times with my family and a couple of choice friends this year. It is so easy to get wrapped up in the drama that we sometimes forget what makes it all worth while. I know I am not the most friendly person on the river when I don't know you and have been a little distant and bullheaded when it came to posting fishing reports or replying to others and for that I do apologize. I think we all sometimes get caught up in the BS and need to look back and reflect on what really matters.

I will try to be more friendly on the river and show more patience when others anchor around me. I will try to be more helpful in my posts and less hurtful in my replies. Good fishing fellow Ifishers

·
Banned
2,008 Posts
Really only made a few, but the one that tops it off was with Pilar. Definatley one of the memorable days i have or will ever have. Only to be topped by the rare occasion i get to fish with my dad(only happens about once every other year). Man, what a great time, hopefully i can get out more with work and school, finals are around the corner, second round of midterms are here, wow, life is raining poop on me now....

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
This one is a piece of cake. Hands down Golfito, Costa Rica. Not tonsof fish but still a very memorable trip with a lot of great guys.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Day I'll never forget! For my dad's birthday I bought him a guided trip with Joe Salvey fishing for late Springers and early steelhead. Had 4 drive-byes before I finally hooked a 6-8lbs native steelhead. Nice fish but had to go back. A couple more drive-byes and my dad hooks a great fish, super bright that took a good 12min to land. It was a 26lbs. hen w/ a couple of sea lice still attached. Gave it another hour during which time Joe proceeded to tell us about oversize fishing. None of us had ever tried it so we pulled up and moved downriver below Beacon Rock. Hooked 5 before we told him we were to tired to fight anymore, the largest a 10 1/2' that just tore me up. Oh Yeah, it was also 70deg. and sunny the entire day. Best birthday present any of us could have had.

Can't wait for the next one!

Trent

·
Registered
8,679 Posts
Mine would have to be the first of july on the Big D, it was my 12 year old sons first fly fishing experiance, He caught a bunch of white fish and he said it was the best time of his life and on the ride home he looked me in the eyes and said (Daddy, Your the best dad in the whole world and I love you more than anything) I got a tear in my eye and it got me thinking of all the great times my dad and I had fishing in Michigan. I can still tast the ginger ale and remember sitting in the boat listening to the Tigers game on the raidio. Gentelmen thats what its all about!!!!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Best day of the year? fishing for TUNA! 36 miles off Depoe Bay on a flat ocean and
coming home with 56 bullets for a total weight of 1089 pounds! Back at the dock by
5:pm ... didn't get out of port till 9:pm. Next day went back to the same spot and
put the hammer down on 46 more TUNA! My 19 y.o. boy and I fished until we thought
our arms would fall off!!

Yes indeedie. The stuff memories are made from!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

-assAssin-

3,877 Posts
Chris,

Nice post...

I too remember your last trip on the Columbia for URB's. It was great because it was so late in the year and we were still hooking & catching fish.

What a year... So many memories.

The best day however was the last one I spent on the water... Didn't catch a thing but really am starting to learn the value of quality time when I am on the water. I really am priming myself for when my son gets home in December.

There is still many fishing days to be had out there bud... I would love to still do that hunt with you and especially would love to take you on a Metalhead trip in the drift boat.

Take Care...

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hands down! 4 weeks in July on the world class Kenai river, Soldotna Alaska!

·
Administrator
41,348 Posts
What a tough decision! Among the candidates; A) a boat limit of bottom fish in under 45 minutes, B) so many tuna that the crew neared mutiny at the thought of hauling another one into the boat, C) Three trips in a week, each with a different person that had never caught a salmon, each catching the first salmon of their life, D) a lazy decision to take a book out to the Columbia and sit on anchor for "an hour or two", resulting in 4 fish to the boat in 90 minutes ...

I can't choose among them! Instead, I nominate this as the most memorable fishing year of my life.

... and let me tell you, my gear shows it! Trailers in serious need of maintenance, kicker on it's last kick, tuff line frayed and weak, tangles of leader, hooks, plugs, sparkly things, swivels and beads piled on my fish-shop bench waiting for attention. I could use a couple weeks of nasty weather for the opportunity to repair all the damage!

·
Registered
12,169 Posts
there would be two. One fresh, one salt. Salt was
an open seat given to me by CD356. CD is a terrific guy, great fisherman in the salt, and has a kick butt boat. My first experience fishing for halibut in oregon. I was blessed by the fish gods that day and boated most of the fish. Did well enough CD invited me back the next weekend.
Fresh water would be a few weeks back with lilnorthfork and a buddy who guided in colorado.
We hit the crooked for a cast-n-blast. Possibly the best dry fly fishing I've had in oregon in recent years. Chukar hunting was also productive,
and the fun we all had with the side splitting laughing around the campfire was priceless. It was just an all-around perfect trip.
GBS

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Every trip Jerry and I took this year was memorable whether we caught fish or not
!! Thanks goes to Tacklebuster and ****** for the tips of where to go :bowdown: !! And I'll never forget my trip down to Tillamook with ****** and Get Bent!!!!! They are both great guys and FUNNY!!! :grin:

Looking forward to more great times in '04!!! Bring on the sturgeon, springers, URB's and anything else thrown in!!!

Dipnet :grin:

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fishing the Clearwater(Steelhead)/Snake(Bass above the Salmon) in August with my kids. Three days with them by myself with them in the boat, it was great.

Oh yeah, it helped that we caught quite a fewand that there are fun beaches on the Snake.

[ 11-18-2003, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: BrokeItOff ]

·
Premium Member
14,301 Posts
My first limit! Upper Sandy for silvers. Back to back hookups! Big, bright fish. Limited in less time than it took me to get dressed that morning.

·
Registered
22,364 Posts
I had the most fun this year fishing Springers on the Willamette and Columbia. What a blast! I caught them with a variety of methods this year and tried to be more versitile in the areas I fished. Big thanks for one of the suggestions goes to Fishin Mission. Another big thanks for David Johnson and the Birthday present he gave me. Hey David, my birthday is next month, hint, hint. :grin:

Right up there at the top of the list was tuna fishing with the tuna gods of the Columbia. Miss B. Haven and kamloops know their stuff out there. Of course with the help of Keta we made lots of tuna DEAD. Thanks to you boys for the fun and adventure out there in the blue water. One trip aboard kamloops boat Minaki we scored 35 tuna. What a day!

Hey Chris, I bought a bigger anchor for Springer season. Looking forward to anchoring next to you. Muuhahahahahahahahaaaaaa!!!!!!!! :shocked:

·
Registered
993 Posts
every time i go always a good time always with great people cant pick just one TB when are we going to meet and fish maybe some winter steelhead on the clack

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Would have to be last Feb on the clack with my father,The sun was out and the fishing was great!We finished the day with nine steelies five of those came out of the same little hole no bigger than someones living room.I love taking my Dad out in my boat with my tackle since he did it for so many years with me.
R.R.

P.S.That same little hole produced 14 steelies for four trips,Can't wait! :dance:

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Lots and lots of great days this year.... the top of the list would be Father's day. Shad fishing with my son and daughter. We were in the zone, non-stop action. Our plan was to catch just enough for bait for oversize, we had so much fun we didn't end up fishing for oversize. Great day, great company.

Scott

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
This is hard! As i sit here trying to think what trip I would consider most memorable I am coming to an understanding as to why my property still looks like the "garden of weeden". It's because I spent almost every weekend on the water. It was an awesome year for the h20dog. Every time on the water is the best time, catch or no catch. I would have to say my favorite was the first springer back in march. It was the first time I had hooked a fish on a kwikie (thanks Mr. Hilton) it came on honeys rod, first time to throw anchor, first springer for the boat. After netting the fish I turned to honey with my hand raised for a big high five and she was so pooped she couldn't raise her arm. Coming in a close second was the following Thursday when I hooked and landed the first springer of my life.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
First of all, great thread!

I'd have to say a last-minute trip to the Klickitat with my wife one Sunday afternoon in September.

Got outta church around noon, went home, decided we were bored, so I threw a few things together and headed to the Klick for a few hours of fishing. No boat that day, very little gear...but ACTION!!

Fishing in a slot that ran about 50ft X 10ft, I hook and land a nickel bright 8lb hatchery at the tail of the hole. Walk it back to the truck, show my wife (who's enjoying the sun while reading a book), take a few pics and head back out. As I'm actually walking back to the head of hole, I toss out my spoon as I'm in motion, and the line goes dead. Then I realize my line is coming at me, but underwater!! About 10 feet in front of me 17lbs of sheer steel goes airborne!! As I whistle at my wife to get the net, I battle with it for about 10 more minutes on my 9ft Loomis casting rod. My wife, who's adapted to my fishing, literally jumps off the 5ft bank into the river and swoops up the hatchery fish.

A beautiful day, an unexpected trip, and in about 15 minutes of fishing I bring home 8lb and 17lb hatchery fish...WHATTA DAY!! :dance:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My brother and my nephew talked me into taking them fishing on the Upper-Sandy that last Monday before Halloween. My brother doesn't fish much, but his boy just loves it. That afternoon my nephew (Thomas, 10 years old) got his first Salmon, and he was pretty excited about it.

The next afternoon, my son (Coleman, 8 years old) decided that if Thomas could do it, then he could too. Now, Coleman and I have Trout fished quite a bit, but I thought he may be a bit on the young side to do the long hike in (and back out). But if he was that fired up about going, I'd take him.

Last week on Wednesday Evening at 5:55 PM, Coleman was immortalized by KATU News (Rhonda Shelby) on the "Who's Fishing" segment. Coleman saw his picture on TV holding up the 9.5 lb Hen Coho that he caught that first afternoon that we went Salmon fishing together.

My best trip of the year lasted for two days, I got to see two "first's" and my son has a Video tape that he's shared with his class at Troutdale Elem, of "the day that he was on TV".

1 - 20 of 74 Posts