IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you use for Shad? Are they fished on anchor or trolled? Is Multnomah channel a good place to target?
I Think I will take the G-kids out and try it.

Thanks in advance for all the good info that I know will be forth comming.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Insearch of Shad??

Use Dick Nite spoons or a chrome #4 swivel with a hook attached.
Anchor on the Willamette from the mouth of the Clackamas River to the falls or on the Columbia at the Shad Rack off Ives Island (3 miles up stream from The Fishery ramp)

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
You're not even going to believe this one - Use a bare siwash (chrome)hook attached to a small split ring. Fish on a normal length leader ('bout 3ft) and a drop weight. We've sat next to boats at OC and outfished folks 5 to 1, they don't believe us when they ask what we're using, until we pull it up and show them. This is not a joke!

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Here is a webpage from WDFW that describes shad fishing in pretty good detail.

Shad Fishing

Good luck. Once you find them, it is a lot of fun with constant action.

Steve :cheers:

Skrimmy, I can believe it. The first time I ever targeted shad, I was told to go into GI Joes and buy the smallest jigheads I could find with the gold hooks. No skirts. :shocked: Use a pocket knfe to scrape the lead until it is shiny and drift that. Lots of fun. :dance:

[ 05-21-2003, 01:56 PM: Message edited by: Steelie Steve ]

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
From several shad fishing topics in the last week or so. :bowdown: :bowdown:

Originally posted by ******:

Cloudy (and most) days "shad killer." Flo-red jig head. 1 and 2 inch clear chartreuse twister tail/grub, covered in anchovy scent. Small as you can go the better. Slide one ruby red very small bead down on your leader on top of the jig head.

:smile:

Rick
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
grub, will someone please in detail describe to me what a grub is, I got the green with sparkly flecs, but is it a lure, and actual wormy thing, a plastic jig? Thanks, TOC.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
If you are going to troll try using a Shad dart most of the local tackle stores have them, it doesn't have to be this color, I put this up as an example only. I usually use chartruese or white/red, make sure it is a brass hook, and soak them in shrimp oil the night before you go. Troll with the smallest rod you are comfortable with, 4 or 6 lb test line. Let your line out until you hit bottom and reel up a couple of cranks. Troll as slow as possible and most importantly ........have fun!

Hope it helps.
Scott

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
So do you need to be close to the bottom when anchored for shad? What size weight do you guys commonly use around OC?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Use the small Dick Nite's. Buy a variety of them. I've had my best luck with the bronze with a red tip. The chartreuse has produced almost as well for me. Don't use heavy line or it will dampen the action too much on these small spoons. I use 8lb max. ultragreen and it works fine. One more tip: Move your lure around. Just don't let it sit there. Move it slowly, about a foot or two, then let it come to rest. Pause for about 10 seconds, then move it again. You will draw a lot more strikes by doing this than by just waiting. Of course, sometimes it's just nice to sit back and relax. But, when you're ready for activity try moving it around.

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
yes, stay close to the bottom, usually they are within 2 feet of the bottom, but sometimes closer. Best fishing its th anchor once you find a slot of fish and stay there and hammer them. 4-6 ounces on a 24-30" dropper with 3-4 leader and the lures as described above. Whe a fish hits, just reel, no hook set. They have a soft mouth.

[ 05-22-2003, 02:32 PM: Message edited by: greenbuttskunk ]

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Always been a dick nite fan too, but after last night with Sturgeon Tom i would have to say the bare siwash hook method that Skrimmy described works really good. After watching Tom catch 3 fish to our none Barviewrocks and myself switched and we caught our share after that, although Tom still kicked out hineys. Then people started anchoring next to us and said it was the spot. Tom said it was the lure too and gave them the scoop.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts