IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question, What do you do after you catch a keeper sturegon? I remember my grandpa somehow keeping them alive, even tie them up to the boat while it was beached and we would swim by the boat and see this huge fish and damn near go # 2 right in the shorts! Sometimes my uncle would shoot them in the head with a .22.. Do you bonk and bleed?

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
It is pretty tough to "bonk" them. There heads are like steel. Just tie them up and cut their gill to bleed them out. There is also a vein down by their rear-end that you can cut to bleed them as well.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
I rope them off for they day and keep them alive and then for the last 15 minutes of the day I will cut the gills with a pair of scisors and let them bleed out.

Then I take 'em to Sturgeon Pauls.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Where can I find good scissors to clip gills with? I have seen one set used and it worked well. They looked stainless and hefty enough to do the job. Almost looked like some kind of surgical scissors with short blades and long handles for good leverage The gills get cut off totally at the base of the jaw and the fish is done bleeding quickly. Works much better than a knife.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Fishuntr2-
Where can I find good scissors to clip gills with?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">You might try looking in a kitchenware department or in a cooking store, like Kitchen Kaboodle. I have a heavy duty pair of "kitchen shears" that are stainless with synthetic handles. They will cut most anything you can eat. Haven't tried them on sturgeon but might work.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
We usually leave them alive until the end, then take a knife and make a cut into the gills, directly under their head(between the two front fins). The blood clots up quickly so you need to cut it again after a few minutes. We used to have a wooden bat for whacking them but the sturgeon won that battle. Now we have a lead pipe just in case.

·
Registered
89 Posts
fast action,
you can always call your old buddy here, i know right what to do with it. it's called "put it on the end of my fork" and insert in my mouth..... :grin:

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I saw Sturgeon Paul, hit them over the head with his knife sharpener and kill them. It was strategic location on the head, but the sturgeons' eyes roll back and they die immediately. Sometimes it took him two or three hits to find the "spot." Pretty slick and a little more humane.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
There is a trick in cleaning a sturgon that isn't known to much and it is to cut a circle around the tail at the narrow part just deep enough but not completly through. Just to the cartrige that is in the middle of the sturgeon. You can then twist it a half turn and pull the entire cartridge out of the sturgeon. It will stretch to about double the length of the sturgeon as you pull it out. It's realy a slick way of cleaning a sturgon if done correctly. Must add that this is done after the head has been removed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts