IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday our cat was over by one of our sheds playing with something so I go over and investigate...ewwww....what the heck is that!...it had very little hair and was to big to be a mouse but unfortunately it was dead so I carefully wrapped it up and disposed of it.

Ten minutes later our other cat is standing over another one of these little creatures and I go over but this one is squirming around and is alive. I bend over and look at it then realized it was a baby squirrel! We have several of them around our house but I had never seen a baby one. So I pick it up (so the cat wouldn't eat it) and bring it in and my daughters motherly instincts took over. We wrapped it up and got an eye dropper and fed it some warm milk and it scarfed it down. It was lively so we made a box with grass and shredded paper then put it to bed for the night.

Later that night my wife and I were talking and we agreed to call Fish & Wildlife in the morning to ask what to do. My wife spoke with them and told me they sorta chewed her out and said to put it back where we found it, the mother was looking for it. What! we determined it was around three weeks old (internet), it's eyes weren't open and had very little hair. It would surely die or a cat would get it. They also told my wife it is against the law to try and raise one :confused:. So given that we got a bucket out and filled it full of grass and paper and carefully laid the wrapped munchkin in the bucket. I made a bracket so the bucket would be suspended from the fence and put peanuts all around the fence to hopefully draw the squirrel to it. Later that day my wife called and said the little squirrel died :( I really felt the F&W gave us bogus advice and probably knew this little creature would die but giving the benefit of the doubt they didn't know all the circumstances. Another hour goes by and my wife calls and said it was a miracle, it's alive :clap: and she takes it in and feeds it and it was really active. She then called a place in Corvallis that handles these cases and they said we should try to nurse it back to health :confused: and take care of it! Huhhh !!

F&W says to put it back ( which would surely mean death) and Turtle Ridge says to take care of it! We love animals and are caring for it but anyone have any experience with something like this? We are confused by the differing advice but our love for animals won't let us put it outside to die.

Btw- a squirrel did come back and took all the peanuts but left the baby!

What to do :shrug:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Had a girlfriends cat find a momma squirrel that was hit by a car. We later found a scared little baby squirrel under a very near by bush squeaking away. We left it there to see if any other mommas would come around. We tossed some food under the tree for food, as well as kept the cat at bay to give it chance. Two days later it was still there, but no signs of mamma. We continued to feed it under there for a few more days.

She eventually brought it in and raised it in a bird cage. It was very healthy, and very very playful. Never tried to bite either of us.

When she let it out to play, it would haul arse around the room like a bullet, but would come to ya for a simple raw peanut. She had it for about 6 months and eventually started taking it outside and letting it get further away from her, as it felt was comfortable (as she was mamma.)

The squirrel started hanging out in the tree in the back yard for hours at a time. Eventually it met another squirrel in the back yard and started to venture in to other yards. She would see it every once in a while when it came into the yard for free snacks.

Seems it took to neighborhood nature just fine after being raised by a human. I don't know the final outcome as we broke up after a pretty healthy arguement, and I then moved to Oregon.
:argue:

She named it Teak as it resembled that nice brown color.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Cute, but still a rodent. Taste like chicken.

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
My wife and daughter have raised two orphaned squirrels. If you want to raise it, an eye dropper with baby food is a good way to feed them. The ones we raised liked squash, sweet potatoes and carrots the best. Keep some nuts and seeds in a cage. They will eat them when ready. I think after about three months they were ready to be on their own. I built a small house that was mounted on a tree. The squirrels used it for a few weeks before taking off on their own.

This is our first squirrel. During the first year she would come back every now and then to visit. We would hear a knock on the window and it would be the squirrel. When the window was opened she would come in the house for a visit and some cashews. I should add that, both squirrels have gone on their way and we don't see them anymore.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Squirrels are cute but can be very destructive ...A fellow logger took some home to raise them and they litterally took over his house (Open Beam Ceiling) He had to destroy them eventually ...:twocents:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
living on a ranch we often had orphens...never called to ask what to do..my grandma just fed them and took care of them and when they were old enough did the same as the others...let them be "weaned" back into nature...as mentioned above..they often knocked on her door for nuts also..but rarely came in...they were born to be outside and I beleive that they know that....but to let them die would not be something I could do....good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
If a cat removed it from the nest and now you have no idea how or where to return it- I would have no problem trying to nurture it to enable it to survive and releasing it. Sounds like others have done it successfully. Makes up for the ones disposed of "un-naturally" on the roads! :redface:

·
Banned
2,008 Posts
Good for you! Doing something as small as nurturing a squirrel back to health will teach your daughters a respect for nature. If not in an indirect way. I hope the little guy makes it. If he does, i am sure the memory will be a happy one for a lifetime.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
Not a squirrel fan. Bushy tailed rats in my book. If you want to try to raise it go for it, its as good as dead if you release it.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
I say raise the cute lil fella!!!!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
I rescued and raised a baby sq. HE/SHE had fallen out of its nest. If i had not taken it home it would have been run over. I tried to give it to the wildlife dept. etc. but they would not take it. Mine was a red tail fox sq. I was told that it was a crime to have one in captivity. I kept mine in a cage for about a year then let it go. It showed up a few times over the months then no more.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
Good for you! Doing something as small as nurturing a squirrel back to health will teach your daughters a respect for nature. If not in an indirect way. I hope the little guy makes it. If he does, i am sure the memory will be a happy one for a lifetime.
:agree::yeahthat:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for the feedback but now am not sure whether to eat it, nurture it or send it back :laugh:

I will say though we are still feeding it, did tons of research on the net and so far the varmit seems to be getting stronger. There is no way my daughter will let it go now and pray for this little creature to grow up and we can set it free :pray:

Thanks again, will keep you posted on details, I know you are on the edge or your seats waiting for the next post :wink:

·
Registered
13,576 Posts
As Dullhook said in another post We are called upon to be stewards for all that God created on this earth. I say take care of the little guy like others said and let it grow up and go out on its own rp

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
The world is FULL of squirrels. Why would you want to take one in? :wink:

Really, good for you on caring, but I believe in letting nature takes it's course with wild animals. If it was a dog or cat (even though I don't personally care for cats) I would render it care.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts