IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a extra week off before starting a new job and I find myself wondering where to fish. First I do not like Tillamook in the fall so it is out. I have a big hard top jet boat so any river may be a option. Ideas???

Ducks, if there were birds aournd that might be a thing to do but there are just not too many around.

A guy with time to fish and hunt and for one of the first times in a while not knowing what to do.

Jet~~~

[ 11-12-2003, 06:42 PM: Message edited by: jet ]

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
John Day River Steelies. Drive up I-84 (app 2hrs) to Lepage park put your boat in go up the John Day to the area of Phillippi(sic) park (a boat-in park). Drag bobbers with prawns or pull Wiggle warts.It shoulld be drier over there also.

·
Banned
2,392 Posts
Not many ducks!!! I've been all excited 'cause I've been seening more ducks than ever. Seems to me the flight came early this year, we were getting "december like" shooting in late october this year. Check the numbers of birds at Sauvie Island, that is a pretty good indication of how many birds are here, A LOT. Lots of BIG, bright orange footed mallards being taken right now, get out there and get some.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jet,

Sheesh...Tillamook in the fall would be the spot I'd pick. If I could spend a week going into winter trying for best and the brightest, I'd be camping out down there for a week. With a hard top, you'd be nice and comfy if it gets windy and ready to fish outside if it gets nice.

Some awful nice pics of Tillamook fish have been posted lately.

Brion

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas. John day... I just love it pulling warts, I forgot about that fishery.

Birds, I really have just been checking the normal hunting spots, maybe a trip to the public spots might be a good idea. Most of us started hunging there, maybe I need to get back to the future. I need to get the dog out.

Thanks for the inspiring words and ideas.

Jet~~~

Have gun and rod will travel...

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Brian, I just hate fishing in grass and have had the pump clogged up so I try to avoid it there.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
Jet,

with morning incoming tides at Tilly, heading outside could be an option. But keep an eye on the winds, If they are out of the SW, go pull plugs- Too rough. But if not, then it is still producing for the herring draggers. And very little grass to boot.

Enjoy the Vacation.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jet,

I am way with you on the grass. Just hate it. But it hasn't been as bad this year. Some of the big stuff but not that slimy green algae. The big stuff is easy to clean off.

And you play the tides as Flatfish noted to keep it down. If it gets nice and you can slip outside for a couple hours...hog heaven.

But...it is where the big and bright lurk at this time of year. For a week with the best chance of great fish, I can't think of a better spot...especially looking at the current reports. Looks a bit slow everywhere else.

Brion
PS On the pump clog, we saw a guy plug his TJ pump and go right on the rocks right in front of us. They abandoned ship and the CG pulled the boat off the rocks. I have a stomp grate on mine, some folks have that rake. The rake looked shaky to me. These guys went on the rocks instantly so the stomp grate would likely have saved their bacon but the rake would probably be buried someplace on my boat. I thought there was a pic on Ifish of the crash.

[ 11-10-2003, 10:43 AM: Message edited by: BrionLutz ]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Jet,

I guess the rake would work if you have it ready to go. I've never used one so I don't know how well they work. I know the stomp grate works. Going up the Colorado it would get stuffedd with plants, dead critters, you name it. A couple pushes on the grate and the stuff came out.

Having the kicker ready is the key. For some reason the guys on the TJ couldn't get it deployed and by the time they called for help, it was too late. I don't know why they weren't using the kicker anyway.

They had a SportJet not a Kodiak. Kodiak might chew up the weeds better also. A lot (most?) of the folks had jets that day and no one else went on the rocks or had problems.

It is something to be aware of though and have the rake and kicker ready to go.

Brion

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Brian I have a 21'TJ Hardtop Alexis SS with a Kodiak would the rake get under well enough to clear a clog?

I do have a buddie off on Wednesday I bet I can get him to head to GB to do some hog fishing. If I get a clog there is always the kicker. Now time to make plans for Thursday and Friday.

Jet~~~

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the ideas, today I hit Tillamook and caught a really nice 23 lb buck in the ghost hole at 8:30 trolling cut plug about 2 feet off the bottom. There were about 10 fish that I saw caught today.

What a beautiful day at the coast!

Now tommorrow.....

Jet~~~

[ 11-12-2003, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: jet ]

·
Registered
140 Posts
Jet,

Have you made plans for a rainy day tomorrow?

:tongue: Yes I Am
(a.k.a. Ken's sled pilot, Steve)

Did you get out with Butch on Wednesday?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts