IFish.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang,
Looks like Mrs. Yello and I are going to be spending a week in PV next month. Having never been there, I'm requesting feedback from my fellow iFishers that have been. We're staying at the Paradise Village (using a friends timeshare Jr. Suite). It was really short notice but we're getting it for only $300 for the entire week. In fact, their telling us we can buy it from them for $3k...I'll need to review the fine print on that one.

My basic questions are...what did you do that was great, and what did you do that wasn't so great.

To Sun, Surf and lots of flowery drinks! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Call me boring, but all we did both weeks(2 seperate times; honeymoon and 1st year anniv.) we were there, was lay by the pool and, as you said, lots of flowery drinks.

We did an ATV tour, that was pretty fun.
We did a "booze" cruise to one of the secluded beaches. Can only get there by boat. That was fun, but again, alot of laying around and drinking.
We walked around everywhere, alot shopping(haggling, I love it) on the boardwalk.
We toured a tequila factory, that was really interesting. And we got to taste test several different tequilas.

Mostly, it's a pretty low-key, semi-authentic Mexican atmospehere. That's why my wife and I love it so much. We're dying to go back. No really big clubs or bars like Cabo or Cancun. I've heard Cabo compared to L.A. in many ways, I'll pass on that. If you want to know any specific info, feel free to email me.

--Skahorse

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
There is a small roof top resturant about 3 blocks off the main drag called Plaza Del Mar. This place is on the roof of someones home ran by the family. The garlic shrimp are the best you will ever find. :applause: I know it's sounds a bit risky but I have eaten there at least 10 times and never regreted it. Very reasonable prices, acctually cheap compaired to the big places.

The other thing I enjoyed was the old market. If you can't find it there you can't get it.
If you go fishing be sure you check out the boat first. I have burned more than once.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Question...can a guy buy a good Cuban cigar in Mexico???

:idea:

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
I don't about good? But yes you can buy Cubans. On the main drag on the way to the market is a great big liquor store kind of like a costco they should have them. It was a big red building last time I was there.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
All types of Cubans are available in Puerto Vallarta (and most of Mexico). They are sold at just about any corner shop. However, you must be careful, Mexico doesn't have the labeling laws that we have here, and vendors can get away with labeling a cheap, locally made cigar with "authentic" cuban wrappers. I'm not sure how you would verify thier authenticity, however, i would stick to buying them from some of the larger vendors, and maybe even some of the hotels/resorts.

And speaking of locally made, those were by far the best cigars I had when I was down there(and maybe ever). A local guy had a kiosk at the mall in the northern part of the city, he called his cigars Don Julio I believe. Him and his family hand rolled all of them, and they were excellent! I bought several at a very good price (about $2 a piece I believe).

--Skahorse

·
Registered
50 Posts
We've been to paradise village twice. We ventured to the old town once and really didn't care for it. We pretty much hung out on the beach reading, swimming, napping ,etc. The spa there is great as well. There are several good restuarants in the village area; there is one a short cab ride down the entrance road that was good too- I cant remember the name but it was on a small lake filled with turtles that would swim near the table begging for scraps. A friend recommended the swim with the dolphin thing nearby. He said it was the best $100 he ever spent. Maybe next time for us.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I'd go fishing every day. It can be great. Especially the roosterfish in the surf out at the rocks.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Or you can spend a couple of days writing "Puerto Vallarta, not Villarta" 1,000 times on 500 tortillas. :smile:

·
Registered
525 Posts
snorkel at mariettes island! we stayed about 30 minutes north nearby the predator film site at a village called san pancho and the beaches were remote and beautiful i caught four jack cavelles in the surf. suyulitas is about 20 minutes north and is a neat little town that is very popular with the surfers. great food and we also ate some very authentic looking and tasting places and didn't get sick, we just didn't drink the water or brush our teeth with it. we took a antibiotic everyday we were there called bactrim that kills bacteria. you can get just about any prescription drug you want over the counter. i also will agree that the main town was kind of nasty and philthy, and actually was our worst day of the trip.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have been to PV many times, and think it's a great town, for a day or two. then it is time to get out and see the area.

One of the best kept secrets in that area is a town called Sayulita, it is about a 30-40 minute dirve north up the coast. Fantastic little town with a great beach and restaurants in the sand. Fresh shrimp, fish, drinks, the works. Rent a jeep and drive up there, it will be the best time you had while in PV.

Secondly, while in PV, go to a restaurant called PI PI's. Ask a cabbie to take you. Fantastic view. I know, funny sounding name, but they have the very best Fajita's on the planet and serve Margarita's by the pitcher.

Need I say more?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts