IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out today and had seven power take downs, had 2 fully on for a short period then nothing. Havent changed anything as far as tackle and waited bout 4 good pumps before setting the hook. Any ideas as to whats going on? I decided to remove the upper treble to see if it would make a difference but had no other take downs after words, any one else had days like this? Just wondering. :shrug:

[ 05-08-2003, 04:03 PM: Message edited by: fisherdan ]

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
The last two times out anchor fishing with prawn spinners I have had the same thing happen. 2 trips, 9 take downs, nothing to the boat but a small native. Hooks are sticky sharp and well exposed through the prawn. Go figure..

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Just one of those days, Dont worry you are not the only one to have that problem :mad: I know for a fact its happening to lots of us out there!!

Rainrshine :cheers:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Could ********* or chubs be hitting that bait?

I know they make a mean initial take down on a K15.

Is it one bounce or several? The suckerfish usually only have one hard takedown.

[ 05-08-2003, 04:14 PM: Message edited by: Bounty Hunter ]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
BH, they were definitly salmon take downs, were talkin major pumpin and 2 of em took line. Ive never had so many take downs and no fish. Im starting to get a complex. :grin:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Maybe wait five or six good pumps and then wait some more until they have the rod down flat and line coming off....works for me all the time :smile:

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
I here ya Redfish.
What's more frustrating?
:shrug:
A. Missing several takedowns?
B. Never having a takedown?

Answer is definitely B. I had one driveby all season and NO takedowns. I'm going for sturgeon tomorrow. :cool:

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
Dan, check out 5 cents post and you'll see you're in fine company. :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
SHS
:wink:

Actually we only missed 5 that were take downs... and we missed them our fault... the others were drive bys. Big difference because the drivebys you cant do anything about :shrug: :hoboy:

[ 05-09-2003, 05:23 AM: Message edited by: 5-Cents ]

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With mine i did the usual wait three pumps then get out of rod holder and set hook thing.It almost always worked before and have only lost two previous to this day. Two drive-bys and five pumpers and two that were fully hooked for a while, one of them head shook the hooks out(steely?). And i used my go-to plug with razor sharp hooks. Does anyone feel that by extending the hooks with snap rings would help?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
My solution is to go to K-14 that way they can really take the whole plug. I suspect that these fish are grabbing the back of the plug and turning and giving the plug a real committed bite. But when they let go or the plug pulls free whoosh.....the hooks go right by the fish. Bye Bye. I am sure that those salmon can really bite down if they want to and also those sharp teeth get a good grip on the plug. You all have seen the marks on a well worn kwickfish.

I know of an alternate hook set up designed by a friend and he has had some good ratios so far with it. I will post a pic if I get a chance.

Otherwise do what Dave says and wait until it is painful. If a fish gets those trebles it isn't going to shake them.

[ 05-09-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: BUGLEMAN ]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts