IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know another for shad, sorry I looked in the search and found everything except what size line test?and not much talk about weight (4-6 oz? that much?? )thanks, going for 1st time in OC tomarrow.

[ 06-01-2003, 04:40 AM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
i use my summer steelhead rod w/ 10# suffix :grin: never had aproblem yet

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Shad are leader shy... dont know the tricks from the bank, but from a boat use a 30 inch leader of 5 lb maxima clear leader and a 30 inch dropper of whatever is handy. 2 oz above the mouth of the Clackamas in the slow water 3 oz below in the faster water.

UG

[ 05-31-2003, 08:53 PM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
appreciate the info , Thanks! :cheers:

[ 06-01-2003, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: dampainter ]

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
We were in the columbia in the current with 6 lb test 2 oz of weight 3 foot dropper and 4 foot of leader with dick-nites and we hooked about 30 in 20 min. with 3 poles out.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
Last weekend on the CR we were using 4oz of lead on 6 lb test line and 4 lb leader, and we were barely keeping it on the bottom. A few people around us were using 6 oz. The current was hallacious.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts
We picked up several dozen using 20 lb test. Not really by choice, it just happened to be what was laying around.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
Rick..

If your bored some afternoon set up two rods. Use the same lure on each, the same dropper length, the same weight, etc... Switch em back and forth so its a fair test. Use a 4 or 5 lb leader on one and use a 10 or 12 on the other.

I will bet you a two twinkies and a dozen ding dongs that for shad the smaller leader outfishes the larger 3 to 1 or better.

UG

[ 06-01-2003, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Uglygreen ]

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have had my best luck using 8lb. test maxima ultra-green or lighter. I wouldn't go any heavier than that. You'll get good action on the smaller dick nites as long as you don't go heavier than eight lb. I also don't seem to pull the hooks out of their tender mouths when I use a lighter line ,since I can't horse them in.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
we ended up with 16 fish and a few lost....I tried all kinds of stuff, ended up doing pretty good on a mag wart with a 3'- 4' leader of 10 lb.test from the belly hook on the wart. lure used most was the #5 barrel and #6 siwash hook and a chartruse bead on top of that. Thanks again for line test and other info. :cheers:

·
Registered
539 Posts
We use 30 to 80 lb tuff line for the main and either 30 lb mono leader or braided leader. You never know when mr. salmon is gonna say hello. Enough weight to stay on the bottom depending on current, 4 -8 oz. Or use a diver and 4-5 ft leader, again stout. We boated over 60 shad yesterday for 3 rods and 1 rod was strickly salmon fishing. If a lighter leader would have caught more...we would have needed another cooler. My 101 qt. was full and probably weighed over 150 lbs. Got all the crab bait I'll need for awhile. We were fishing near Coon and the current was a flowing. Middle of the channel about the middle of the dock. White/green and silver/red wee dik nites. A light rod might be fun but not when pulling in fish in a strong current.
Bob

[ 06-02-2003, 07:06 AM: Message edited by: fishuntr2 ]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts