IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried bobber fishing last week and had a great time. However still a Little confused as to what size and type of bobber is the best? :whazzup: any help would be greatly aperiated... :grin:

·
Registered
152 Posts
First off unless you are using a round plastic red and white thingy, they are FLOATS not bobbers!!!

Sorry, just my pet peeve. The size float you use is almost entirely dependent on the weight of your terminal gear and lead. Ideally you want very little of the float to extend above the water. That way even small takes will make the flaot go under. If fishing fast, rough water you need more float sticking up to make up for the effect of turbulance pulling the flaot under.

If using a 1/4-ounce jig, a great float is the Thill Turbomaster # 3. It sits just right with the jig and no additional weight.

[ 10-15-2003, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: surecatch ]

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
the ones I use are about 4" long and you can get them at bi-mart for about 2.00. they have a metal insert so that your tuff-line or braid wont cut it. I am not talking about the pencil bobbers, the ones I am talking about are kind og egg shaped. I use 1 oz of lead with these and they work great. they go down really fast and you can paint the bottom black, for conceilment. good luck to you and all your endevours.

·
Registered
152 Posts
ZaQ: Cuz you live in Oregon. Everyone in B.C. where our float fishing came from, calls them floats, as do the vast majority of Washingtonian's. But in good old or e gun they call them bobbers. Thay allso call them bobbers in Arkansas. Of course, in Arkansas when you get divorced ypur wife goes back to just bieng your sister again. Who would you most like to emulate?

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Yeah, but they call them "bobber" stops too, not "float" stops. Oh, the controversy!

Tomayto, tomahto...............

·
Registered
68 Posts
Use enough bobber to float your weight. The type of water you fish determiens the weight - - use more weight to get to depth in faster water.

I strongly recommend using a bobber that is "vertical" type, not round. If it tilts, or is horizontal, this all tells you what's happening. Round bobbers float the same no matter what is happening to the lead and bait.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Kind of funny: I read the book Jim Bradbury wrote about jig fishing. He calls them floats in his book. However, everyone and their mother says bobber and jig when referring to this kind of fishing. I guess it's just a call of one's opinion. I actually call them both, but refer to bobber more often, because it's more...relaxed...I guess. I'd be careful of the impressions you are leaving, surecatch. Presenting yourself as a more elite fisherman because you say float instead of bobber gains you no additional respect from me.

[ 10-16-2003, 12:24 AM: Message edited by: sparkleboy ]

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Heres more fuel for the fire. According to Western Steelhead Fishing Guide by Milt Keizer on page 45 He says [there are so many choices of excellent steelhead catching bobbers available at your tackle store that its tough to decide between Lil Corky,Okie Drifter,Wobble Glo,Fenton Fly,Spin and Glo Ect]. So now I confused I guess If its under water its a bobber and if it floats its a float? Interesting topic who knows? :shrug:

·
Registered
11,130 Posts
what about when it floats underwater? what is it called then? I know when I am fishing with my BOBBER it floats for a little while then it sinks, so maybe I should call it a sinker! :dance: Just a little humor guys while I am waiting to go and pick up my son from work.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
If it floats up and down isnt that kina like bobbing??? :laugh: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
14,449 Posts
i've never gotten the idea behind calling corkies and the like "bobbers". i realize that it floats but if you're fishing with it and it's floating, shouldn't you be fishing a little faster water?

type of bobber: vertical. mark of first cast jigs makes a good case for the round cork floats but i still prefer the vertical kind. if a fish picks up your offering and heads up, a "stick" float will lay over on its side. what does a round cork do? about what it was doing before. a fish going up doesn't happen very often but it does happen.

size: depends on how you're fishing. for big springer or fall nooks, i usually go 2-3oz. for winter steelies i'll go with 1/4oz. the size is based on how much lead it will float properly. what's "properly"? it just enough so that it's visible at the distances you're fishing but goes under with the least amount of effort. west coast floats are rated by how much weight they'll properly float. all others require a pitcher of water and the time to test them to find out.

·
Registered
814 Posts
What do you call them when they hit someone in the head and cause them to "float" down stream? Perhaps they'd call it OUCHY?
Or if .......? If corn oil is made from corn? And vegetable oil is made from vegatales? The what do thay use to make baby oil?
I'm going to have to appologize in advance here............
I realize you guys are having some sreious fun with this here, but........Who really cares what they call it?
They call a house, a "hoose" in Canada. For some reason as a life long Washington resisdent (as if that makes any diff.), I can read through the lines and figure out what's being said without too much being lost in translation!
Hey man! When in Rome..............
The origional question is valid and deserves an honest answer. Once the question is answered, then by all means..... Proceed with the sarcasm. Until then, let's all join in and help this fella out with his question.
I guess, I'll put in my 2 cent here.
I prefer to use the cigar (or some may call it a "cylinder) shaped "FLOBBER" (combo word float/bobber= flobber=internation peace and harmony). The reason... When a fish takes your bait or jig, they don't feel as much resistance, thus making them hang on longer. With a round or spherical shaped "Flobber" the surface tension is increased due to shape not necessarily surface area.
As mentioned eariler, you can tell what's going on with your presentation better with cylindrical shaped "flobber"(ie; dragging bottom or your bait is moving much faster than your "flobber") A spherical/round shaped "flobber" will also have more drag in the current requiring the use of more "weight" also known as "lead" in some parts of the World.
The ideal set-up is to have your bait/lure hanging straight down vertically from your "flobber."
I am NO expert, but thought I might be able to actually help
:shrug:
Good luck with this or any other questions.
Ragnar

·
Registered
152 Posts
Originally posted by sparkleboy:
Kind of funny: I read the book Jim Bradbury wrote about jig fishing. He calls them floats in his book. I'd be careful of the impressions you are leaving, surecatch. Presenting yourself as a more elite fisherman because you say float instead of bobber gains you no additional respect from me.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Sparkleboy: First understand that I gave the guy the a answer to his question. You are right that Bradbury calls them floats, so does Dave vedder in his book, as do all B.C. anglers almost all Washington anglers, and many Oregon anglers.

Also understand I have no interest in getting additional respect from you. I don't know you, and if I did, I doubt I would spend any time trying to get your respect. I never said or implied that I was a more elite fishermsn, becasue I call them floats. (You jumped to that conclusion.) And that leads me to another pet peeve. Who the h**l cares who's the more elite fisherman? It's supposed to be fun. The guy who has the most fun wins. I hate competetive fishing scenarios.

I am fortunate to have fished all over the world, with many world class fishermen. Perhaps I learned a bit. So what! Being a great fisherman isn't akin to curing cancer, it's just a recreational activity.

I was simply trying to tell folks that they are called floats in most of the steelheeading world. You can call them anything you wish, but the guys who brought this type of fishing to us call them floats. If you go to Canada and talk about bobbers they will not know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
143 Posts
All you guys need to know is the "bobber" or "float" which ever you perfer, dosen't catch the fish. So use what ever you want. :hoboy:

·
Registered
187 Posts
"First off unless you are using a round plastic red and white thingy, they are FLOATS not bobbers!!!"

then

" was simply trying to tell folks that they are called floats in most of the steelheeading world."

Telling???? The first quote does not seem like telling , more like yelling with all the !!!!!!!

Does it matter what bobbers are called??? Relax its just a fish.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I have heard float/bobber used interchangeably in the same sentence by guides and tackle shop owners in Oregon, Washington and Idaho. Never been up to the "Motherland of Float Fishing" in B.C. but would imagine that people up there, especially the fisher-people, are smart enough to know when some cracker like me
from down South asks about bobber fishing for steelhead they know what he is talking about. This to me goes clear back to the rod/pole argument.....

If it catches fish who cares, but maybe flobber is a correct term, the other combination "boater" might get confusing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts