IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I checked the archives and couldn't find an exact answer so maybe the board can help me.

I was hoping to get some information on these Jumbo divers, I noticed fishermen attaching their snap to the top hole to dive deep and it was around 30 feet of water, :shrug: some people were using the second hole to go a little more shallow.

How do you figure out what depth your fishing at w/these Jumbo divers?

Is there a formula that anyone uses?

I'm guessing the more line you have out the deeper the dive and vise versa (just a guess)
plus I'm sure you need to factor in current.
It seems like there's more to it.

We boated one yesterday, our divers were set at the middle notch and fishing 17-23 feet of water :shrug:

Thanks for reading, any info would be appreciated.
Bobby

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
THE FORMULA:

Set at the deep setting if the water is running 1.1 to 3.1 miles per hour and the wind is from the west and the moon is at half full.

Set at the shallow setting if the water is running a 3.5 to 3.6 miles and hour and it's a dark moon and it's night time.

Set it at the middle setting if the water is muddy, frozen or real clear.

·
Premium Member
14,394 Posts
this comes back to the line angle vs number of pulls thing that came up not long ago. i've actually thought about coding up some little app for my palm pilot so i could figure out exactly how deep i'm fishing. or working up a little card and laminating it so that i've got a rough equation to figure out how deep the rig is working. in fact, i think i've got myself a project for the next week. one side of the card is a makeshift protractor for figuring out the line angle and the other side has the rough equations. i'll post it once i've got something together.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
Sorry BnB, I was just messing around :grin: .

I set them on the deep setting and leave it at that. You are right, the more line you let out the deeper it goes and vis versa.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJ, I was already out the door to buy a moon chart :grin:

Was there an evening bite last night?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I agree the deep setting all the time, unless its behind a sideplaner, then its a matter of personal choice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Earlier this year I saw a tech sheet from the manufacturer giving all the info you would need about the Jumbo jets It was at Gresham GI Joes.

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Dive deep where lunkers sleep

1 - 9 of 9 Posts