IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm looking for some positive information from anyone - just a glimpse of hope. Heard a report today that I didn't like and want to hear something to re-assure my early morning alarm.

Prepared to fish anywhere from the south jetty to bobber water - anyone been down there the last few days?

[ 10-03-2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: wetaline ]

·
Administrator
41,373 Posts
Ok, I'll bite! :grin:

If you aren't fishin' you won't catch anything!

Truth is, it's been slow for the last week. Blame the tides, the low tide exchange, the moon or the water temperature ... it's probably all related.

Thursday there was a minor bite just outside the tip of the north jetty. If you like a dense crowd of boats hugging the point break, you might get into some fish, but that's not a game I enjoy. With tomorrow's forecast for 3 foot wind waves on a 6 foot swell, it may not be what you're looking for.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I had the privledge to fish with Skipper and new ifisher Beefsteak or was it chickenlegs, oh I remember it was Beefcakes

We hit T-bay at first light,in fact we were the first boat at Old Mill marina. Brought some crab traps to put out while we pursued sammy and off we went at 0600. We brought various baits for the crabby critters, we had shad, tuna carcass and sturgeon something. Dropped our pots off in the dark around the west channel and headed "outside" as the water seemed real calm. Went over the bar smoothly and went to the green can to start some sammy slaying. I brought some of my non-carrot juice :grin: herring (btw-used blue and black label)and dropped the lines in. We trolled for 10 minutes and my rod is doing the thumping thing..whooo hooooo..fish on!!! Brawled that baby for a good ten minutes and almost had to hold Skipper by the belt from falling in trying to net that bad boy. One more run and up to the boat this hog comes and plink......bye bye fishey :mad: aarrrrhggh..whatever! Check the leader, no frays, new bait, drop down to the bottom, thump thump thump...FISH ON!! whooo hoooo! plink....fish off :mad:arrgghh again. Reeled up my line and find NO HOOKS, just a frayed line....hummmm, must have been a shark. :hoboy:

Ok enough of the drama, sorry to keep you so long! Beefcake hooked up and broke off..0-3 now, another take down...0-4..let's go bottom fishing!! The ocean was calm, we hit 38mph heading out to bottom fish and we caught a bunch of lings (2 keepers) and one sea bass. Cool, fish in the boat. Time to check crab traps. Checked them (2nd time) and SCORE!! we end up with 28 crabs....wooo hooo!!!

So don't give up on t-bay, especially if you can get outside. Today was predicted to be 3'X 6' and was 0 X 3-5' if that.

Go for the first light bite! :cheers:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We dropped in this morning (sat) and were headed towards the bubble before it was light. Were joined by many fisher friends as things begin to light up.... the water temp was hanging right around 49 degrees, friendly swells were constant through the morning, but very calm other than that.

ended up w/ 3 takes - 2 to the boat. 1 silver and 1 31 lb buck for 4 rods. Trolling purple and blue cut plugs on the bottom. There were scattered fish caught through out the morning but to sum it up - it was relatively slow. We were back to the dock by 1pm.

Talked to a friend around the oyster house - said it was pretty slow there this morning as well - with sparatic fish here and there. they got a 25lbr for 2 rods on spinners.

hope that helps the sunday warriors.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yah, what FM2 said.

The Ocean Friday was way better than predicted - as is most of the time. We could have gone for halibut but were not prepared with the right gear.

FM2 had the first fish on of the 30 boats out there, and it was at least 25 #.

At 11:30 with no salmon in the boat, I had to twist FM2's arm to run down to the Three Arches for bottom fish. I had taken him down there in May with zero success, so he was skeptical.

We got there and another boat had 2 fish on, so that got us excited. The best trick was either a chrome diamond jig, or a mooching rig sinker and herring for Lingcod. I limited with two keepers. Beefcake got a nice bass. We ran out of herring since we were conserving for salmon fishing. I don't have the Shrimp Fly working right. Headed back at 2:00 trolled the bubble saw a few more caught.

The best catch of the day was 10 crab in 1 pull. FM2's arms were getting tired. He pulled 3 traps twice for 28 crab and a giant one 7.75" :shocked:

Nice day, great fishing buddies, and fresh fish a crab for all.

Cheerio'
Skipper

1 - 6 of 6 Posts