IFish Fishing Forum banner

what salmon rod to buy?

1K views 16 replies 17 participants last post by  husker 
#1 ·
What rod would you recommend that does the job well without breaking the bank? Also, where to buy? Just got back from Rivers Inlet, B.C. My wife is hooked on salmon fishing now. She also loves golf. What a lucky guy I am, huh? :dance:
Thanks.

#2 ·
Ripnlips,

I started out with a North X Northwest rod that I got a GiJoes for around $50. It has been fine for me and did well with a 30lb Chinook last fall.

I have also heard that the Buzz Ramsey line of rods are good for the money.

The better rods are usually lighter and more sensative than the less expensive ones. But if you or your wife is just starting out and you don't want to sink $150-$250 into a fishing rod that could get stepped on or break off, I totally understand. That's what I did to start out.

Once and a while someone will have a rod or reel for sale on the Boats and Tackle page. :cool: That may be a good way to pick one up if you are not in a hurry. I have purchased some things this way and they were just as described.

Good luck on your search.

I hope that you realize that your wife will probably catch more fish than you do from now on. :shocked:

#5 ·
I've owned many different kind, but the Buzz Ramsey rods I've bought recently have been great rods for the money. The reason I bought a second one, is because Fisherman's Supply replaced the first one, that I broke by accident. They didn't even ask me how it happened. I just brought it in, they looked at it, and called back for a replacement to be brought up for me....great service. They're sensitive and have a good all around feel.

Hope that helps.

#6 ·
Rippin,
I bought a Gloomis HSR983C GL-2 14-30# Ex-Fast and a Shimano Catala 401 spooled w/30# Tuff Line about two years ago and am glad I did.
I've caught lots of fish with it( one was a 36# king and had no problem)and would recomend this set-up to anyone.
John

#7 ·
Well, I got my first five rods at garage sales, they all worked, none were fancy but I caught fish. Spend half a saturday going to garage sales and if you know what your looking for, you might be able to snag a nice rod for cheap. Unfortunaly, most garage sale poles are really cheap, but every once in a while you can get a steal, a nice pole for next to nothing.

Good luck,

Reeltrouble

#8 ·
I use the same as the Riverrat. Berkley IM-7 #15-50 with an Ambassador 6500. Didn't break my piggy bank (which isn't very big to begin with) and makes a nice combination. Happy Hunting.

#9 ·
G. Loomis SAR1084c, GL2, 9 1/2ft. 15-30lb

I have watched in awe as my buddy had his doubled over, with the top foot of the rod in the water, while fighting and 80lb Halibut, on 25lb mono. New boat record for the Pilar.

IMNSHO, You get what you pay for. Step up to the plate, you will not be dissapointed.

Peace, Tom

#10 ·
If the outfit is for your wife, stay away from the 6500. Unless she has real big hands for a woman, the 5500 will be about as big as she can hold with comfort.

Rods depend on how much you want to spend. Under 100.00 I would say get North River from fishermans( WW grigg blank). 8'6" from the bank. 7'9" from a boat.

For more money, email Get Bent. He has some nice sticks that'l fit her well. Much better quality too.

Mark and the dog.

#13 ·
I use a Berkley IM-7 15/50, and for the money you cant beat it, there like a time-x watch, they take a licken and keep on bending.
Berkley I M-7, and a 6500 Amb. 50pld Tough line pluss, cant go wrong.
Tight Lines River-Rat.

Pole---50 to 65.00
Reel---65.00 to 75.00
Line---20.00 to 25.00
Retail----------$165.00
Sale------------$135.00
Tight Lines River-Rat

#15 ·
ripnlips
You failed to tell us what type of salmon fishing method you plan on using your rods for. Trolling spinners, trolling herring @b10, backbouncing, bobber fishing, drift fishing????? Each method requires a different type of rod. There is not 1 rod that can meet every fishing method or situation. (So you really need 8 or 10 at least X2 so your wife has one too). I would agree with above that the North River rods at Fishermans for the money are a great value. If you only use 1 fishing method we may able to steer you to the exact type of rod you will need.

#17 ·
i'll back up leppers stand on shakshperes rods.....i have several....and joes has them on sale for $35.....they work well....

buzz rods are nice since they have the open reel seat ....

lamiglass are great

loomis is awesome

but a custom rod is the way to go if u can afford it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.