IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. This fall I would like to do some chinook fishing in rivers ( not the columbia) I need a rod or and possibly reels for backtrolling wrapped qwickfish in rivers the size of the Trask.
I already have a lami 12-30 for fishing bobber and eggs. What siae rods specifically for backtrolling Qwikies? and of course like everyone I am looking to stay under budget.
I have been told a 10-20 is a good choice but my berkley 10-20 seems light for nooks.. What do you all say? size ? brand model?

G

·
Rob, contact Get Bent.

Never held a more comfortable rod than the ones he sells, with the quality of the blank, workmanship, price and lifetime warranty.

No, no kickback cuts for me. Just telling the truth. The top cork is great too. All my fingers fit around it.

Rick

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I've used a cabela's tourney trail 9' med heavy rod ($70 bucks) for several years pulling Kwickies. Works pretty well up to a K 15 with a size 50 Jet Diver. If you're using bigger plugs, go with a little heavier rod...

·
Registered
855 Posts
For both backtrolling and forward trolling. I use a Northriver back bouncing rod 7'9" 10-40lb line.
very soft tip, lots of back bone. when there on sale $70.00 @ FMS.

P.S. they work great as a spinner rod hog lining also, cause of the soft tip u can see the blades action

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The high priced rods are great,BUT there are some good quality rods out their also.My suggestion to you is to buy the very best rod you can afford whether it be Lamiglass or Loomis,or berkly or North by Northwest or ??, there are some very good rod makers on this site that would make you a quality rod that you can afford also just check around.You won't be sorry you paid the price the first time a cheap rod breaks and you lose your biggest fish or first fish.Remember you get what you pay for buy cheap get cheap.I know this isn't much help but its the truth.
Bob

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
rob allen,

Lamiglas just came out with a Spinner rod for salmon that looks like it would work great for Kwikfish. You might want to call your local vendor. Since they are brand new, they might not have them in stock yet.

D.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Get Bent has some cool sticks that are more than the North River sticks. I think they are about the same anount of $$ as a Lami. Call Scott and find out. You will be happy with them if you buy one.

If they are too much money for your budget, the 7'9" North River rod is my 1st choice.

Fish it with 50 Tuf Line and heavy leaders. 40 Maxima is minimum. I fish 80 Maxima. Rope? Yep. But I do not lose plugs either. The fish are not leader shy, so why not fish heavy?. Kwikies and heavy leads pull hard on a rod. The back bouncer with a fast taper is the easiest way( less fatigue on the angler) to get there from here.

The other road is a 9' bobber rod. But it has a lot of leverage on the angler when bouncing baits.

One piece rods are much stronger than a 2 piece.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
13,828 Posts
Laugh now ******. I have 2 rods with 80 Tuf just for coast kwikies. Palomar knot is your friend with 80#.

And you can forget about netting fish. Just hoist em in!

Penn 109 reels have a stiffer drag than a 6500. the NR back bouncer is light for my setups. But I fish coast fish heavier than most are willing to.

Mark and the triple surgeons loop dog.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I think the 944c is the best boat salmon rod on the market!
7'10" 12-25# great taper, very nice feel
fishes 5 oz' very well!
I havea few demos right now. let me know if your interested ! Very reasonable

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Rob, the Hot Shot Magnum would be too light of a rod for that application in my opinion. It's only rated up to 2oz. I have one, don't get me wrong, it's an awesome rod. Just too light for coastal fall nooks.

TH has a rod mentioned above that sounds like it's worth looking into. I won one of his drift rods at ifishstock a couple weeks ago, it's an awesome rod.

If you're on a tighter budget though, take a look at GI Joes's North by Northwest IM802HC 8' Plug Rod. I bought one recently for a Fall Nook boat rod. It's rated at 20-40lb line and was under $75. For the money, it's a whole lot more and better rod than a Berkley IM7, which break too easily from what I've seen and my own experience.

Does Get Bent sell those Allstar rods? ******, Scott, can one of you answer? If so, those are certainly worth looking at too. I saw those a few months back and they are really nice, well built rods.

TH has some rods on special at the moment.....take a look at some of those too if they fall into your budget, they are really nice.

You just can't have too many rods! Contrary to what my wife says!

G

·
Allstar. I just bought a 17-40. Just as nice as my GLOOMIS 17-40. Same blank. Top cork is actually way more comfortable.

Scott is out there rockin' rollin' and hopefully catching in Astoria. Hurry on upriver fish. :grin:

Rick

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Rob
Lamiglas G1300-T Mag taper 7'6" 2pc 8-15 pound line Ex Fast action

For the Lewis River, that's my salmon and steelhead plugging rod.

50, 80 pound tuff line....what are we...halibut, shark fishing? These are salmon were talking about, not grate whites. :laugh:

·
Registered
6,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK guys.. I went to FMS (just looking)

The rods I liked best in my potential price range (150) were the Lami "magnum taper" and the "hot shot magnum" sound about right???

get my reels filled wit 50 tuff line and 40lb maxima leaders gotcha

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
You, Mom, and I, your boat, THIS fall, URB nooks in the CR. You name the date, place, and we will show. I'll show you how to catch a 40 pound hog on 25 pound mono. :grin:

Now I've talked the talk, now I'll show you I can Walk the walk :grin:
:tongue:

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Originally posted by KingFisher85:
You, Mom, and I, your boat, THIS fall, URB nooks in the CR. You name the date, place, and we will show. I'll show you how to catch a 40 pound hog on 25 pound mono. :grin:

Now I've talked the talk, now I'll show you I can Walk the walk :grin:
:tongue:
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Ummmmm Mike, you might want to think about what you're sayin. These fish aren't line shy, and trust me, 50/40 won't take anything away from the fight of these fish. It will however make sure that you land that freght train under the boat.

Guess you'll have to learn the hardway. It's a heartbreaker to lose fish you know you should have landed. Not to mention the 10-15 bucks in gear that just broke off as well. :shrug:

Trust the guys that have gone thru the drill before.

50/40 for me :grin:

Rob Allen- Get ahold of Get Bent, he'll take good care of you.

Chris :cool:

[ 08-24-2003, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: FWF1 ]

1 - 20 of 22 Posts