IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I await the arrival of springers in good numbers to fish from my DB in the valley I am thinking rock fishing from the jetties and maybe Depoebay. The question is what is the best type of rod and reel. My salmon/steelhead rods are graphite which would scratch on the rocks and break later. These aren't cheap rods and everything is baitcasting. Should I go cheap spinning reel with 20lb mainline? I have done this fishing off the rocks years before but was winging it the whole way . I did a search and read Depoebaydan's reports..at least some of them.
Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Goes down to Bi-mart and purchase a 10' Med/Hvy Ugly stick and one of their $35.00 reels. Load it with 20-30lb. test and you're good to go. Ugly sticks are fairly cheap, and super tough. Rinse off your equipment to get the salt off and it should last you quite awhile. Same set-up is good for surf perch too.
Good Luck,
Charlie.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Rocks eat graphite. Not to mention you don't need the sensitivity. Fish off the jetty just eat the bait, no messing around. I bought a cheap as heck ugly stick rod and reel combo from kmart and it's brought me a lot of fish. Basically I would recommend getting a burly rod and reel that you won't care about if you are going to be fishing on the jetty. You will have to lay your rod down to tie up/ bait up etc. and it will get all scratched up, so it's just not worth the money to get a nice rod to kill greenling and black rock fish, save it for a nice salmon rod or something instead.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I picked up one from Joes. It was a rod/reel combo for $50. I want to say it was called a Bruiser, but I would have to double-check that. I think it's 8', but it's rated for one to four ounce jigs. It's worked great.

Tarterman

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.