What pound test braid and or mono do you use on your hali rods?:cheers:

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
#80!! you never know what your going to hook down there!:yay:

·
Registered
11,461 Posts
#65 tuf line xp, plenty of strength with minimal drag, & priced lower than most. have landed 65 1/2" Halibut a couple years back.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
80 lb on 9/0 penn gatlin handle get the job done.
What Jon is not saying, he has a boat winch it is all about meat! No messing around wind and grind!:bowdown::bowdown::laugh:

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
65 #

R U sure the line is the weak link ?
Ok, I just found this funny :laugh: Not sure if it was meant that way though .....anyway I use 80 lb. Powerpro on mine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I use 80# still small dia = plenty of line on reel. Makes untangling a little bit easier. I like the hivis yellow as well so you can see lines better.

Dan

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Spin...

I meant it both ways...funny..and:

1.) subject spreader bars, hooks, etc...to another 15# of load beyond 65 and see what happens.

2.) Most of the hali reels we use have full strike drags much less than 50% of rated line, unless they are cranked shut at which point you need other help..

Hope it is still funny...

Ok, I just found this funny :laugh: Not sure if it was meant that way though .....anyway I use 80 lb. Powerpro on mine.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have fished both 65lb and 80lb; using two or three different brands of line. I originally fished 80lb 'Tough Line' but switched to 65lb 'Power Pro' because the 80lb Tough Line seemed to twist.

I tested the 65lb spectra (Power Pro Brand) using a Bimini and a Albright with 60lb mono and the Spectra broke at about 35lbs. It didn't break in the knot; the Power Pro broke just pulling on it with a scale at just below 35lbs.

I contacted Power Pro and they said that I didn't have the correct means to test the line. The proper way to test according to IGFA standards was with an expensive machine that they had but I probably couldn't afford. OK, I sent the 65lb line to them and they tested it and said that it broke at 72-78 pounds on their machine. They also sent me a 500yd spool of 65lb Power Pro for my troubles. That somewhat redeemed them in my eyes, until I hung up at the Chicken Ranch and broke off at the water line pulling hard but not anywhere near sixty-five pounds hard. The line had never been fished deeper that 400ft before, and had only been fished one day prior to being broke off.

Don't get me wrong, things happen, but I am going back to 80lb; I can always back into the swells and I don't think the difference in size is that significant.

I have fished Tough Line, and the description I just described was with Power Pro. I think the next line I will try is PLine. Talking to the Southern Cal internet connection; this seems to be something to consider without going to the expense of Jerry Brown Hollow Braid. Buying the bulk spools is probably the way to go, 1500yds or so.

I have also bought the Cabelas SI Plus and had good luck with it. I originally didn't like it because it seemed bulky. Bigger that compareable Tuff Line or Power Pro. But after getting a season on it, it got smaller. It now has three seasons on it without a single failure. There is something about it though that will make me try something different, I can't say why but probably it is because it is only available in 1000yd spools; which makes it pretty expensive.

I have had Cabelas spectra recommended by a Southern Cal Sport Boat Captain that I have tremendous respect for; I worked on his boat for several years; this particular skipper fished professionally for fourty plus years in several different oceans, every day of his life; not just on the weekends, not just in the summer months. I think the line he recommended was the SI regular not the plus.

Lady E

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I have fished both 65lb and 80lb; using two or three different brands of line. I originally fished 80lb 'Tough Line' but switched to 65lb 'Power Pro' because the 80lb Tough Line seemed to twist.

I tested the 65lb spectra (Power Pro Brand) using a Bimini and a Albright with 60lb mono and the Spectra broke at about 35lbs. It didn't break in the knot; the Power Pro broke just pulling on it with a scale at just below 35lbs.

I contacted Power Pro and they said that I didn't have the correct means to test the line. The proper way to test according to IGFA standards was with an expensive machine that they had but I probably couldn't afford. OK, I sent the 65lb line to them and they tested it and said that it broke at 72-78 pounds on their machine. They also sent me a 500yd spool of 65lb Power Pro for my troubles. That somewhat redeemed them in my eyes, until I hung up at the Chicken Ranch and broke off at the water line pulling hard but not anywhere near sixty-five pounds hard. The line had never been fished deeper that 400ft before, and had only been fished one day prior to being broke off.

Don't get me wrong, things happen, but I am going back to 80lb; I can always back into the swells and I don't think the difference in size is that significant.

I have fished Tough Line, and the description I just described was with Power Pro. I think the next line I will try is PLine. Talking to the Southern Cal internet connection; this seems to be something to consider without going to the expense of Jerry Brown Hollow Braid. Buying the bulk spools is probably the way to go, 1500yds or so.

I have also bought the Cabelas SI Plus and had good luck with it. I originally didn't like it because it seemed bulky. Bigger that compareable Tuff Line or Power Pro. But after getting a season on it, it got smaller. It now has three seasons on it without a single failure. There is something about it though that will make me try something different, I can't say why but probably it is because it is only available in 1000yd spools; which makes it pretty expensive.

I have had Cabelas spectra recommended by a Southern Cal Sport Boat Captain that I have tremendous respect for; I worked on his boat for several years; this particular skipper fished professionally for fourty plus years in several different oceans, every day of his life; not just on the weekends, not just in the summer months. I think the line he recommended was the SI regular not the plus.

Lady E
I too have had problems with PowerPro line. I have found it is more inconsistent than Tough line or any of the other spectra types. I switched everything over from powerpro, my last season. The problem was always the same...broke without close to enough pressure and not at the knots, just broke...different rods and reels...usually new line. Not sure of the why or what but I will never use PowerPro again...65 or anything. Dave Starratt (WP)

·
Registered
8,467 Posts
I used 80# for quite a while, but HATE trying to break off a snag, although it doesn't happen that often. I now use mostly 65# and it seems to hold up fine (largest caught on this line was 94 lbs) and I like the fact that I can get away with a little less weight with the reduced drag.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts