IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to get the big boat out. Took it to the river with a fresh battery. Wouldn't turn over. Not a big surprise. It has happened before. Dead short, caused by rust in the starter.$96.00 later, rebuilt starter. Now it turns over but what is that awful sound? Bearings are out in the pump. While disconnecting the driveline, I notice the fuel lines and vent hoses need replacing and one vent is broken. I got all hoses, lines and the vent replaced, now back to the bearings. Got the first hex head out. Now turn the motor 90 degrees by hand. Won't turn by hand. That's odd. :whazzup: It used to. Now what? Removed spark plugs. #4 and #6 have water in there. :shocked: !#%@#&*!%* WHAT'S NEXT? :mad: I'm going to pull the motor. At least it will make getting the three remaining hex bolts out a lot easier. I keep thinking, "Two happy days in a boat owners life" and, "Its just money". :shrug:

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Ouch! :shocked:

Sounds like a full strip down and rebuild. :depressed:

Best of luck.

:smile:

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Here's what's next. Get out the torch!!!! I've got a history that includes saltwater. UGH :depressed: :shrug:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Good thing you are able to do some of the work yourself, otherwise you would have paid alot of money finding the problems. Good luck and sorry for you problem. Life has it's challenges. :whazzup:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
[ 06-09-2003, 11:25 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I don't know what kind of boat you have, but it sounds like an inboard. Therefore, it sounds like time to upgrade to a supercharged 460ci.

She'll run good then!!

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fishing is Life, yes, I suppose I am lucky to have a "toy box" big enough to get my boat in. I used to be a grunt for a couple of mechanics in the boat repair business so I know just enough to get myself into trouble. I decided long ago that I would mess it up myself before I took it anybody else. If nothing else, the knowledge one gets from these experiences will help you get back to the trailer when something does not go as planned. Mr Carp, supercharged 460 AND trim tabs to get my bow down. My 350cu burns enough gas as is. No substitute for power though..... Maybe I should use this thing to haul trash and go buy Chinookie's sled. Now there's a thought!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts