IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What lures don\'t work

Just wondering if you have any lures that just don't work. What color, type, ect... Maybe this will stop me from purchasing something that just doesn't work.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Re: What lures don\'t work

My lures that don't work are the ones that don't catch fish!

·
Registered
1,282 Posts

Kwik Fish!! :hoboy: Im not saying they dont work period. They just dont work for me :shrug: Oh well I'll keep trying.

-Blake

·
Premium Member
14,486 Posts

given the time and place, even 'old reliable' will fail you. sometimes, you could put an old sock out there and some suicidal fish will pound it. bottom line is the lure that catches fish is the one on the end of your line when the rod doubles over.

on a somewhat related topic, i've given up on being the kind of fisherman that some of these folks are. as a "weekend fisherman", my chances of being out there when the fishing really turns hot are 2/7ths of that for some of these other folks. given that, no lure, no matter how good, is going to make up for the 5/7ths of the fishing that i'm missing.

just a thought: are you trying to solve the wrong problem?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts

Youd be wise to inquire about which ones do work, and study presentation. Blade colors, body colors, action, water temps, sun/no sun. Pick a few that IFishers claim are succesful put all these ingredients together and stick with what works.

I fished shrimp today for 2 hours and watched fish swim by laughing, the sun poked out of a cloud and I changed to a silver bladed/silver bodied vibrax (#5) Put a piece of electrical tape on the back of the blade, replaced the treble with a siwash, covered it with craw scent and found a nate chrome summer hen behind one rock, and her identical twin behind another. Cant beat hardware for an adreniline rush!

Tight lines

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

ampersat I am not trying to solve a problem just thought it would be a fun topic, and maybe a chance to vent some frustrations.

·
Banned
19,959 Posts

The lure that doesn't work is the lure you don't try. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

·
Registered
10,068 Posts

I got to make a note of that ....Ampersat's secret is an old sock...now I wonder if that is wool, synthetic or a blend? :grin: :wink:

·
Premium Member
14,486 Posts

dang it! my secret's out. and i even promised the guide that showed me i wouldn't tell anyone. :wink: since the cat's already out of the bag, here's the skinny: it's a plain white sports sock with the top cuffed down three or four times. most importantly, it's got to have a hole in the toe area. it has to be natural though. if you try to make a hole in the sock, it won't work right. oh yeah, you have to turn the sock inside out. you rig it with a mooching rig and the ideal action is more of a flop than a spin. :smile:

teamfish, my previous post was my way of venting frustration (and engaging in the ever-popular ifish pasttime of getting off-topic). so far, all plugs don't catch fish for me. my hotshots ain't so hot, my kwikfish are pretty slow getting up the learning curve, and my spoons have stuck a knife in my back. my hot lure is the one that's been sitting out in the sun too long.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts

Sems like every lure in my box doesn't work. Might be that I haven't had but one of them in the water in over a month... :rolleyes:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts