IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading Trap50's retirement notice ( Congratulations again) and As I thought of my upcoming retirement in just over three years, that I will be able to go fishing anytime I choose. Then the question came to mind, just when is the best time of the year for fishing? While I really enjoy the Ocean and buoy 10, I keep coming back to the summer steelhead fishing that is so exciting. No long launch or take out lines, no fog or wind chop, not as much competition on the rivers as there is at Buoy 10. All those little things make it better, but is it? So, bail me out. I like July and August as I can fish the ocean or the rivers. What is your best month or time for fishing? Other than, every time you go.

*Fish only bite wet hooks*

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Well i guess from Jan 1 to Dec 31 is good. To be more specific, Springers and fall run chinooks April, May, June, and then Mid Aug to Late Oct.
:cheers:

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
I am a big fan of Feb-Apr. Weather is nice, river is full of biters and generally you have alot of room to roam around. Things are starting to "get ready" for Spring!

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Fall for sure. If the rains don't come in time to drift the coast you guys can have the tidewater for dem' muddy old Nooks.
I'll be on the Deschutes flinging flies for metalheads and traipsing around in E OR shooting blue grouse and perstering rainbows in ID with the 4wt.
I might make a trip back to the Sandy or Clack in mid Sept. if we get some rain or cooler weather to turn on the silver bite.
Spring is a second choice. I love fishing the high water spots for early Summers and dig the absense of crowds. Running upper McIver is a hoot in high flows and we nail a lot of fish up there in the early season.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Though I enjoy fall nooks the most of any fish, the season I prefer is spring....early summer steel and springers at a time when everything comes back to life and the days get longer rather than shorter is awesome.
Nothing like a crisp morning at sunrise hearing the birds, smelling the spring air and watching a silver bullet break the surface of a thin fog over the water to say "goodmorning" with a hook in its mouth. :dance:

·
Registered
790 Posts
1) Summer Silver Fishing...action is too good and I'm an old saltchucker at heart.

2) Fall Chinook fishing - Tillamook....Great weather, and world class fish!

3) Springer fishing...probably would like it as much as anyone, but I just don't have the feel for how to catch these consistently. Love that time of year though....Maybe next year I'll ge the hang of it.

4) Winter Blackmouth Fishing in Puget Sound. Grew up doing this in the South Sound.

But like one guy says..."It's all good".

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
My favorite time to fish is early spring into early summer. I fish a little in the fall but Fall is for hunting!! Deer and elk season are right around the corner :dance:

·
Registered
10,514 Posts
April and October. April for the beginning trout fishing and springers, October for late trout fishing and silvers. Also, my favorite crick is best for summer steelhead in early october.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Summer - Ocean chinooks, silvers, halibut, ling cod and TUNA!!!
,Ed

·
Ray S.
900 Posts
I like best right now. 15,000 urbs heading up the river, you just know the potential is there to have a great day fishing a few miles from the house. The best part is the big weekend is done most folks are heading to work in the morning. I know where I'll be.
Tight lines...
Ray

·
Registered
249 Posts
October, The masses are chasing salmon, deer & elk. While big bows, cutts, browns and brookies are slamming any fly within their sight. Coldwater, Castle, Merrill, & Goose lake is where I'll be.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I prefer spring...new growth in the trees....birds chirping as the sun is coming up...slight puff of breeze wafting the smell of freshly brewed coffee into my nose...ah...calm quiet spring mornings.....WHAM!!!...my line creating a wake of it's own as it tears across the water....me jumping around saying to the silver monster on the end of my line "alright now son, you just behave yourself and get over here, it's all gonna work out fine!! :grin:

·
Registered
10,838 Posts
I'm with Cagey. Jan 1st - Dec 31st is my favorite time :grin: Really though, I don't have a favorite, I get a thrill out of catching them all!! :dance:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts