IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This one should get the creative juices flowing. Tell us your favorite angling regulation and whether you believe it to be a "Moral issue", an "Ethical issue" or a "Biological issue", or a combination of all three.

Example; Foulhooking salmon- Is it immoral? Maybe, but what if it is legal? So is it an ethical issue? Many fishermen think it is unethical, so does that make it so? Or is it a biological concern? On spawning grounds, maybe. Elsewhere, when the runs are plentiful it may not be a biological issue at all, just another means of harvest. These are just examples and not necessarily opinions of this author, so don't rip me open. There are lots of regulations out there to be analyzed. Might be interesting to see what anglers really think.

There may even be some regulations that need to be axed. And remember to not let it get personal.

·
Registered
4,286 Posts
My favorite is not cleaning fish streamside :rolleyes: . A few exceptions could be heavily used boat ramps but all that would take is a sign for that particular spot.

Capn', as far as snagging goes I've always believed that hooking a fish (mouth or tail) should be with the intent to eat the fish. If it is the intent for a fisherman to catch and release then the only sport would be to get a fish to bite so as to "outsmart" the fish one on one and get your pleasure out of that. I think a hatchery fish was put there to eat and I don't think it's going to hurt it anymore to hook it in the tail or in the mouth. But as long as it's illegal I'm fully against it, especially when it's intentional...

[ 06-22-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Salmonator ]

·
Qualified Sturgeon Hugger
38,369 Posts
This is sooooo easy for me. :grin:
Leaving oversized sturgeon in the water.
It's a sound biological reason with an increasing ethical stance.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I tend to love the one yelloweye (I think is the right one) allowance per day and not allowed if a halibut is on board. This fish is typically only found in deep water so who in the right mind is going to target these fish out that far for a single rockfish? Secondly, when halibut fishing and you accidentally catch one, by the time it hits the surface it's dead with it's guts inside out and it becomes instant seagull food. So either you get to eat it or the gull does. I can understand a depleated fishery and not wanting to target them, but when caught while halibut fishing they're dead so maybe allow a single one. I did offer a ride to a fish checker though to give mouth to mouth recesitation for them but he didn't think it was as funny as I did. :grin: By the way he didn't have a valid reason for this law either. :shrug:

tc

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
My most recent experience - While steelhead fishing we hooked a 12" fin clipped rainbow (not a steelhead smolt) just above Carver.It was hooked in the gills and was basically dead before we got it to the boat. But it's illegal to keep trout so back goes the dead hatchery fish. I hated to waste it but it's not worth the ticket.

D.

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
Moral issues are between man and God. God presumably made man to preside at the top of the food chain, to "have dominion over the creatures of the earth", and to be the main hall monitor here on earth. So I don't see morals as an issue here.

Ethics relate, at least to me, to the natural order of things, and therefore pertain to how we treat other creatures and especially other humans. There would be fishy implications here.

My own hang-ups include not torturing other creatures, so I don't needlessly cause them pain, assuming that they feel pain (and who knows?). So I am not into C&R of salmon, steelhead, trouty fishies, or anything else. I'll release a native fish happily, but I don't target them.

In other words, I like to kill and eat what I catch, but I surely don't judge anybody who feels differently.

My favorite regulation --- PFDs on everybody, everytime they are on the water, no exceptions, ever. I hate the sight of drowned people, and I have had the sad duty to see quite a few in the ER years ago. Now all I gotta do is get it passed.

·
Registered
516 Posts
"healed adipose fin.."

That is my favorite regulation because long ago it used to just be "adipose fin". It shows me without proper regulation there is enough people out there that would ruin our sport. You know someone clipped a fin and took it to court and won.

·
Registered
13,978 Posts
Plastic worms are bait.

I would kill for a bait that gets hit that hard.

But smelly jelly is not bait.

Mark and the dog.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I am with drhall99 on that one.

We have been sturgeon and salmon fishing when you get one that is bleeding like crazy because it got hooked in a vital spot, but there was no way to avoid it and it doesn't meet size requirements or it is not clipped or like in the ocean, it was a chinook when chinooks weren't open yet. If you keep it and bring it in you could argue until your face turns blue, but your going to get a ticket anyway. I bet even if you had a camera rolling and caught everything and it showed that the fish was dead, but you had to throw it over anyway. I don't think you could get out of that fine because it is an illegal fish. Very sad because I know many fish die this way when they could be taken home and at least eaten.

·
Premium Member
14,487 Posts
don't worry mr carp and drhall: i'm sure those bleeders get eaten by something.

capt hook: bonus points for a good topic. would i be right in guessing that you came up with this one while on a recent fishing trip?

i have to back flatfish: only a bureaucracy could determine that a plastic thingy is bait and smelly jelly isn't.

·
Registered
22,376 Posts
Recording your catch before continuing to fish. Kind of tough on an ocean when the bite is happening right. As long as you record them no ticket. Hate that stupid rule.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think that if you catch a "native" and its bleeding bad, you should be allowed to keep it. BUT THEN YOU ARE DONE FOR THE DAY! No more fishing and no more bleeding "natives" that day. It would be a judgement call on the part of the fisherperson as to whether the fish was gonna live or die but you can usually tell if a fish stands a chance of surviving. I believe that this would be a good reg. that would lessen impact on "native" fish.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thumper, I tend to agree with you that there are few moral issues in angling regulations. We used to argue that point endlessly over coffee. The point being that those who violated serious game laws were criminals in need of either punishment or intense rehabilitation. The only moral issue I could ever come up with was killing and wasting. Leaving good food to rot in the field and killing just for the pleasure is IMHO the same as stealing. I don't think even primitive cultures approved of that.

·
Registered
12,182 Posts
I like the one about only fishing on tuesdays for salmon if you are wearing a red shirt and your dad is greek and you first name is Patrick and you have a wooden leg and a real foot. I've owned fishing licenses in about 12 different states and can honestly say that oregon has a mind-boggling amount, and they can be tough to interpret. Not complaining, just an observation.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
I love the roule of no barbed hooks in the ocean for salmon, but you can use them in the river.

Sturgeon in the Snake and Columbia must be caught with barbless hooks, but in the Umpqua you can used barbed hooks.

:hoboy: Makes no sense to me.

[ 06-23-2003, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: outdoor.spec.ops ]

·
Registered
14,810 Posts
"Not bleeding or gutting a fish within 100' of a waterway"

This is posted in various spots around the Rogue. So when you land and bonk a fish, you're supposed to carry it 101' from the river to bleed it, then carry it back to the water? :hoboy:

I agree with not cleaning and butchering in the river in a crowded spring fishery. But in the fall, when on an uncrowded stream, within a couple of weeks of salmon dieing in the stream, those carcasses would have to be good for the stream. :shrug: They pay volunteers to place carcasses in the stream :whazzup:

It's also funny how if you fight a fish all the way to shore, then hand it off for 5 seconds and someone else "lands" it, that is legal. But if you land a fish, intend to release it, and someone else wants it, it is illegal to give to them to tag. Oops, maybe too personal. :blush:

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Originally posted by Gun Rod Bow:
"Not bleeding or gutting a fish within 100' of a waterway"......I agree with not cleaning and butchering in the river in a crowded spring fishery. But in the fall, when on an uncrowded stream, within a couple of weeks of salmon dieing in the stream, those carcasses would have to be good for the stream.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">This topic was discussed at length a while back...the bottom line is the rule is there to protect the public from idiots...from those with no common sense, who would clean their fish at the boat ramp, picnic area, or other high-use area and toss the guts on the shore or shallows where they cause a problem for others. If you bleed & gut fish along an undeveloped shoreline and toss the guts out into deep water for the crawdads, no cop I've ever heard of would write you up for that, all by itself...

·
Banned
1,511 Posts
If a cop writes a ticket for a violation or crime and a Judge or Jury proves you innocent, the cop should have to pay your lawyer fees/lost time of work as well.

If you get found guilty you will pay them. How about all the bs tickets that are issued without just cause. Sure would cut down on gray areas.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Washington's "Selective Gear Rules"...

Barbless hooks, No bait and No scent.

Barbless hooks I understand. No bait I understand. NO SCENT? What, suddenly fish can't differentiate between a corky and reel eggs when they bite down?? :whazzup: :hoboy:

This is another wonderful regulation brought to you by the wonderful folks at Trout Unlimited and Washington Trout.
Ensuring that flyfishers are not outfished by those knuckle dragging drift fishers.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts