IFish.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
go hunting for local hunts? For me it is about 80 miles round trip for elk for a day or a weekend we have been camping for a night to avoid the early morning drive. Are some of you guys close enough that you can hunt elk or deer after work?:lurk:

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
My truck sits in my drive way I walk about 2 miles or more right out my front door and some times less ;););););)

I`am a very luck and fortunate person for where I live the animals do too :dance::dance::dance:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
5 - 10 minutes for deer, 20 minutes for bear, and across the state for elk.

RF

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
7 hrs to paradise in the desolation from the big city pulling my trailer w/ the kitchen sink - man I love to burn gas this time of year. bear , couger hunt, fish, gold pan and set a stand then get ready for the opener.:cheers:

willy green zone by is about a 30 min boat ride from the local dock prime time black tails snooping around private property specialy late season absolutly deserted during the rut. I have found the fruit farmers and hazel nut growers hate the deer. You can tell by all the trouble they go to keep them out of the orchards.

·
Banned
1,275 Posts
2 to 10 minutes depending on which way I turn out of my driveway for deer, elk, bear, cougar, turkey, pheasants, grouse, and a lot of other creatures...

That makes it 3 to 6 miles to the beginning of the hunt. I'm also really fortunate where I'm at.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
30-40 miles each way. I do get out for some evening hunts but I'm trying to cut back a bit so I'm not so wore out by the weekend.
Myles

·
Banned
945 Posts
60 miles.... I guess I should look around more locally :) I have seen a few Hints on the sites I should take a look at. (In Salem and always hunt down on the Coast.)

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
Varies from year to year.

This year deer and elk, 5-6 minutes to where I start walking, either from home or work. Now, if those weren't LOP tags it would be more like 30 minutes to the parking spot.

I can be hunting Blue Grouse after work with a 15-20 minute drive. The better spots take 30-60 minutes to where I start hiking unless it's an overnighter to Hell's Canyon rim which is roughly 2 hours.

Pheasants, just minutes also but I only do that if I'm with someone who has a dog.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
For Rosies, I am 55 miles from where I would like to hunt them. I do have a few areas nearby 12 to 30 miles, but don't consider them prime elk areas at this time due to not seeing actual animals and just sign.

As far as Blacktails go, last year I killed my buck 15 miles from the house and it takes 25 minutes to drive to that spot. I also have several other areas within 20 to 45 minutes that are really good BT hunting.

Rocky Mtn. elk and mule deer would be about 5 hours away. I hunt the Desolation/Beulah and Sumpter at this time, but that can change from year to year.

I can and do hunt after work, but don't have super high hopes. It is something to do in the evening and get some good exercise. Due to the private timber being closed for fire danger, I will primarily hunt Mt. Hood National Forest that I don't know real well and just set up and call off of the road closures in a mile or two. I do the same with BLM.

This is only my second season really trying to get an elk, and that is why I am puting so much effort into traveling over to the east side. Other wise, I would just be content with huntin deer like I have for many years.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
15 minutes to fill my Willamette tag. 1-2 hrs. for Rosies. 4-6 hrs. for RM Elk. Same for Mulies, unless I'm going to Idaho (8-10 hrs,)

·
Banned
1,272 Posts
I will be driving too ,I just hope the areas will be open ,so I will drive about 5-6 hours and maybe more ,snce this is my second year also to hunt hard for an Elk ,I may go far ........

·
Banned
333 Posts
deer-75 yrds outside
elk-12 hrs across state
ducks- spitting distance
bear-1 hour

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Birds: 100 miles/2 hours or so to Madras, about 60 miles to Corn Valley (SI is a zoo).

Elk: about 300 miles/six hours to Ukiah.

Deer: 200/4 hours to La Pine.

ANY time I can spend with my (18 year old) son is worth whatever it costs in gas and time.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
Anywheres from walking out the back door all the way to driving 6 hours to eastside. I get way more time out the back door though(no drive time):grin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts