IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the posts constantly for 4 weeks. For the life of me I cannot figure out what URB stands for. You all get it but I feel like the odd man out. It always seems to reference chinook but this is as close as I can get.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Waterdog. I have been too embarassed to ask. I am hoping to tie my wife into her first URB tomorrow. We are going to drop in down by the Kalama, I guess. Not really sure where to go but have to start somewhere.

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Good luck tomorrow.

Just stay away from me if you want to catch something. :wink: I may as well fish for Bigfoot or Loch Ness. My success is about the same for either. :rolleyes:

Oh, and don't be embarrassed. Most of us are here to help. :smile:

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Thanks for asking. I spend most of my time fishing in the ocean. I know the term, but have never fished for'm.

There is no such thing as a silly question.

Peace, Tom

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Personally I think that the term URB is a bit over used or generalized. It seems to be used everytime someone catches a chrome fish :shrug:

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
so......upriver bright at what point in the river does that apply?? from the mouth up or what? :shrug:

·
Registered
7,397 Posts
Their are generally two classifications of fall chinook being caught now.

Tule salmon are those which are mature as they come from the ocean and usually spawn in the lower Columbia tributaries. Thus, their flesh is usually darker and of less quality.

URB's spawn higher in the system and won't mature for quite some time. Their flesh is brighter and meat is of higher quality.

--spud-- :smile:

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
On the CR, I think the farthest up river Tules head is the Spring Creek Hatchery (just down river from Hood River on the washington side)................
and when URB's get to the Hanford Reach why just look like Tules :grin:

[ 09-14-2003, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: Rapid Robert ]

·
Registered
11,223 Posts
Good URB = Up River Bright :grin:

Bad URB (Tule) = Up River Boot :wink:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
So what is a chrome Chinook that spawns in like the Lewis or the Cowlitz River called? LRB?

·
Registered
10,882 Posts
So what is a chrome Chinook that spawns in like the Lewis or the Cowlitz River called? LRB?
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">Dinner if it grabs my hook! :grin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts