IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife is always mad when i tell her i want to go fishing. Before i got a bass boat. Id go fish at one of the couple ponds within a mile from our house. Usually id fish from around 6pm to 730pm no more than 2hrs max ever. And id do that once maybe twice a week. Not every week but not far from it. And i always get ******* at for fishing. Shes even made my 6yrold daughter despise fishing by the way she sees my wife act about fishing now she does too. So trying to get my daughter to come with me is nearly impossible. And when she does finally come with me she last about 10min before shes board. (Typical 6yr old. Lol) i recently purchased a bass boat. This is my 2nd one ive had in the last 4years. The first one she hated and hounded me to sell it so i did. I found another one about 2mo ago and it was a great deal. I told her i was gna buy it put new carpet and seats in it and flip it to make a profit. We all knew while i was doing all this i was going to also use the damn thing. Long story short. Its been on the market roughly a week now and ive taken it out maybe 5 times total. And she gets ****ed anytime i tell her i want to take it to the lake to fish. Even then its usually 4hrs max on the water. . What do i do??

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
What are her hobbies? Does she have any? She needs to come up with alone hobbies of her own. They when you argue you can point out that you give her time/space for her hobbies. Now it's your turn. Marriage is give and take. Not dictating.

My wife is this way over duck hunting. First couple years of marriage it would get ugly when our kid was a baby. She has gotten better over the years and it helps when your kid is older.

Fishing is a non-issue with my wife. She loves to go almost more than me. There are those type of women out there but they are hard to find. Good luck man!

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I'm firmly with the sno pro. I told wife, as well as previous gfs, from minute one what my hobbies are and don't expect to change me. I think she got hot when I told her I like to provide food for my family. I still do to this day. She understands that time apart is just as valuable as time together. We do both ourselves. No way would she try to drag me into her book reading clubs. Having a mature understanding is key to a healthy relationship. That and good sex.

I feel that from what you pointed out in the original post the problem is that you're a bass fisherman. No one likes a basshole. 🤡

·
Registered
369 Posts
On the first date to took my future wife on, I told her to never make me choose between her and fishing/hunting.

I now have to check the box “Divorced”.

Good luck.

·
Registered
495 Posts
My wife is always mad when i tell her i want to go fishing. Before i got a bass boat. Id go fish at one of the couple ponds within a mile from our house. Usually id fish from around 6pm to 730pm no more than 2hrs max ever. And id do that once maybe twice a week. Not every week but not far from it. And i always get *** at for fishing. Shes even made my 6yrold daughter despise fishing by the way she sees my wife act about fishing now she does too. So trying to get my daughter to come with me is nearly impossible. And when she does finally come with me she last about 10min before shes board. (Typical 6yr old. Lol) i recently purchased a bass boat. This is my 2nd one ive had in the last 4years. The first one she hated and hounded me to sell it so i did. I found another one about 2mo ago and it was a great deal. I told her i was gna buy it put new carpet and seats in it and flip it to make a profit. We all knew while i was doing all this i was going to also use the damn thing. Long story short. Its been on the market roughly a week now and ive taken it out maybe 5 times total. And she gets ****ed anytime i tell her i want to take it to the lake to fish. Even then its usually 4hrs max on the water. . What do i do??
Something is off. Your story is inconsistent at best and deceitful at worst. Disingenuous about flipping the boat, max two hours or four hours fishing, wedging child between. Not good. If you want helpful advice, give it straight. Could this be how you are with her?

I’d recommend figuring out what your daughter likes about boating and incorporate fishing when the chance arises. You should also figure out what your wife like about boating and tie in fishing when the chance arises. You may find some willing participants if you play your cards right. Maybe not. Better to try than divorce. It’s a long game, I realize.

Til death due us part must not mean much around here. 🙄

·
Vendor
9,844 Posts
Sounds like you two are in a really unpleasant and destructive pattern where neither one of you is happy. One idea is to voluntarily declare that you're not going to fish at all for 6 weeks. That shows a lot of goodwill and a willingness to work things out. Do it with confidence, love and good cheer, as an investment in your future together. Do it without resentment. Do it because you're a man of high character.

Spend a lot of time with her during that 6 weeks. Don't even mention fishing for the first 3 weeks. Then try to work out a fishing arrangement that works for both of you. And when you do go fishing, never be late coming home. Never. You need to hold up your end of the deal, and that means getting home on time.

Six weeks sounds like a long time, but you can do it. Your marriage is worth it.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am lucky as my wife has never had a problem with my 50-75 day a year fishing habit. However, most of my friends can't get away very often. My wife knew from day one that fishing was a huge part of my DNA and has never had a problem with it. I probably need to do a better job of showing her how much I appreciate this. I would say that honest communication and open dialogue would be important when it comes to this subject. Just as others above have suggested. as far as a 6 year old goes on the fishing front, you have to make it fun and manage your expectations.. maybe mix in swimming frog catching and an ice cream cone on the way home.. Don't force the issue or she will just resent it.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts