IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While hunting Sat near Mist I saw this bush? in a clear cut. I don't remember seeing this bush growing in these parts before. Is this some kind of holly? I know what what Oregon grape is but this is like a bush about 6 ft tall. I saw one nice buck but he wasn't waitin around for me to get any closer to him.

· Registered
6,719 Posts
Sure looks like Holly to me! I find it growing in the Cascade foothills quite abit. Maybe birds eat :food: the berries and poop :bricks: the seeds, thus facilitating the spreading of the plant/bush/tree?

sp

· Registered
3,928 Posts
Another vote for Holly.

Landshark, In Stott Mt. I ended up seeing 2 does and a herd of elk consisting of 1-6x6, 1-spike, 5 cows and 3 calves. Ran out of decent cover during the stalk. Got to within 100 yards or so and had to sit tight. It was hard to focus on taking a cow with that big bull standing there. Finally they fed back toward the timber and headed in. I followed, but they went across a creek bottom that was thick as dog hair and of course swampy. I was nervous about blowing them out so I backed off and spent some time figuring out the trails they had been using. I was thinking that since they were undisturbed they may come back out to feed before dark. In the mean time I headed back up the ridge and spent the rest of the day rattling. No luck, just jumped the two does between set ups. Headed back down into the canyon and set up at 3 and waited till dark, nothing. Oh well, it was nice spending the day alone from daylight to dark in the sleet, rain and wind. Better than work !!!

· Registered
17,253 Posts
Ditto. I have seen scattered plants here and there, I think the bird theory is probably correct.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.