IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that this FB guy is going in a new direction. Got to wear googles to see the game, or what ever it is.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
For people who don't get enough satisfaction from real life. Synthetic life.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A place that people that can't handle the real world go?

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
It's more about representing yourself by an animated character to interact than anything else. The concept has been around about 20 years.

Could be cool to have people act out their posts instead of just reading them on iFish.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Virtual and Augmented reality is going to be big. But Zuckerberg's presentation of it made it look stupid and cartoonish. If i was going to be betting on who will be the leaders in it (and I am), it wouldn't be FB.

·
Premium Member
20,251 Posts
It's more about representing yourself by an animated character to interact than anything else. The concept has been around about 20 years.

Could be cool to have people act out their posts instead of just reading them on iFish.
Tik-Tok?

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Like Jimh406 said, it is using animated people/animals/objects to interact instead of this archaic typing we do. It allows a more 'natural' way to communicate - this keyboard is really pretty darn old-fashioned and clunky. Strap on a Virtual Reality headset/microphone (probably just your glasses in the not-too-distant future) and communicate over the Internet 'just like you are there'. Probably the biggest change in the way we communicate/interact that our kids will see in their lifetime.

The scary part is that it is being driven by the most bottom-line oriented, doesn't-care-about-the-world person we have known in our lifetimes. It has the potential to completely influence opinion, government, every aspect of our lives in a way that few can imagine. It will make our version of the Internet look like a cave man designed it.

We've already seen how FB has toppled governments in multiple countries, affected our voting process, and splintered America in a way that few of us thought possible just 30 years ago. All to bow to the billions to be made from the Meta 'advertising' revenue. Our virtual worlds will be controlled by oligarchs. Nefarious governments will master its use to drive a wedge in America. We can't stop it, it's way too 'far out' for government or most people to understand the implications, so hang on for a wild ride.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
There is some really great vr content out there. I’ve been to other countries, flown in a fighter jet, walked around museums all in vr. In the darkest days of winter I like to wake up and have coffee sitting on a tropical beach. It’s just real enough that it’s tricks my brain and improves my mood. My guess is it will lead to new pathways for education, health etc.

Ive not messed with any of the interactive stuff which is what I guess they mean when they say meta verse. And if you look at the negative aspects of social media I am skeptical that those companies will use it for a force of good. But there really is some cool upside potential.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it's an interesting thought experiment to consider the long term affects of a "virtual reality" that, at some point could become indistinguishable from reality. And what may happen to people who become highly unaccustomed to reality.

I can't remember what movie that was... Total Recall?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Remember when the internet seemed silly and over-hyped? Can't seem to live without it now. It's just part of our lives without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
6,639 Posts
Cool, let them low hole somebody in VR instead of on the river.
As long as they aren't standing in a meadow on opening morning taking a leak on the browse with their Metagoggles on.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
MSFT? I've seen articles.....
From what I've seen, read, watched and asked, MSFT, NVDA, GOOGL, AAPL all have currently have much better technology than FB in this area and much better teams to develop the technology further. U and Epic Games (not publicly traded) currently have a software that seems to be way ahead of FB for developers.

I could be wrong, but from what I've seen FB is trying to play catch up with everything.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts