IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I was fishing the upper tidewater reaches of the Nehalem and started to contemplate what the most versatile line would be for most applications of fall salmon fishing. First, I thought a braided line, then I thought a flouro-carbon line and then I threw my arms up in the air not knowing what would be the best. Although, I have several rods and reels I know each has its own application with certain lines being favored over others, but the question still remained was there any line that really serves a multipurpose?

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions as to what they prefer as an "all around" line that works for many applications :whazzup:

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
For salmon it could be a braided line like Power Pro or TUF Line but that's a tough question.

A person really has to have several lines, rods etc.

You can't tow a boat with a civic and it's not right to hunt rabits with an elephent gun. Those things can be done, or at least attemted. Just like line, you can use one kind of line but each thing has it's own perpose.

·
Premium Member
14,397 Posts
a braided line with a variety of leader materials would fit the bill, in my opinion. you can run it for cut plug in the bay, bobber action in the tide water and what have you in the skinnier river sections. folks are picking up braided lines for drifting and pitching hardware (with a leader) lately for the increased sensitivity. the problem is that each of these techniques requires a different rod, each rod deserves its own reel and as long as it has its own reel it might as well have its own line.

·
Banned
8,867 Posts
DJ and Ampersat have it covered, nothing left to do but buy more rod and reels :dance: with more line for each.
:cheers:

·
Registered
512 Posts
Have to agree with the above. There are times when braid is better than mono and vice-versa. I find that mono fills the bill better more than 50% for me, so I use it all the time, even when braid could give me a slight advantage.
I will say that I use a mono that doesn't have too much stretch but doesn't give me problems with memory...Sufix premium in #20.
I really like the idea of more rods and reels though. The problem is I fish from a driftboat so everything I have is in matched sets of 2 and soon to be 3 and money is definitely not unlimited.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a braided line several years ago and switched back to mono after discovering the braided line cut through the ceramic linings of several guides. I liked the improved sensativity and smaller diameter, but I wasn't hapy about the damage. I have used flourocarbon line and like it, other than knot tying :shrug:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey there...
My experience has taught me that braided lines are better for casting, especially on a level wind reel, because they have vertually no memory and that reduces the backlash, birdsnest problem that is always lurking when you cast a level winder.
The new 'Spiderwires', in monofilament work great on a spinning reel, but since all monofilaments have some memory, they don't work as well for casting on a levelwinder. Both types of lines can be found with virtually zero stretch, which is a big plus for quick hook sets. I have heard about the new "super" lines cutting guides but I personally have not experienced that problem.
So my conclusion is...super monofilaments on my spinning reels and braided 'spectra' lines on my level winders.

Hope this helped ya a bit.

tight lines, bright fish...

Ricardo

·
Registered
5,808 Posts
the best line is the one that is in the water!

El!

·
Registered
10 Posts
As for Braided Lines cutting ceramic guides this is a mis-nomer. What actually happens is when the outside tempeture is colder than the heat created by the friction of the braided line running over the ceramic ( fish screaming line off ) it actually chip's the ceramic ring instead of cutting it.

To minamize mono from coiling exspecially on spinning reels try soaking the spool in a glass of water prior to heading out to fish , this will put the water properties back in the mono which will help reduce coiling

·
Banned
7,726 Posts
Originally posted by riverraider:
I really like the idea of more rods and reels though. The problem is I fish from a driftboat so everything I have is in matched sets of 2 and soon to be 3 and money is definitely not unlimited.
<font size="2" face="verdana,arial,helvetica">AAAhhh, but it goes to a worthy cause and worthy people!!! :grin: :grin:

Doing Gold Hill to Valley of the Rogue in the morning.......you going to be on the river???

1 - 11 of 11 Posts