IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well lets hear your opinions about outboard motors.
Please follow up to support your choice.
Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks for your input so far. Keep em' comin' :smile:

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Ray,

I could not be happier with my Honda 115/9.9 4 strokes. They have been flawless. The only thing that gave me pause was the 115 was I think 50lbs heavier than my second choice, the Yami. At the point I was buying my boat there was a limited supply of the Yami's that helped make my decision. Sorry about your boat woes.

Joe

·
Registered
802 Posts
My feelings exactly. 'Other' picks up a couple more votes.

·
Administrator
119,704 Posts
Not only that, but you can't figure out who voted for what, and why.

Like, if you vote Honda for dependability, how can you tell that Honda gets so many votes for dependability? You can't.

These polls are sometimes tricky to write.

Jen

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well it's good enough for government work.
:smile:
It is likely (as plotted on a bell curve) that the options with the most votes align, statisticly speaking anyway

The option of explaining your vote allows for clarification and as always personal feedback in the follow up posts in written form will likely be the best source of information from this poll.
I thought other members of the board would benefit from the this information :wink: .

Forcing the vote helps to keep the results from being swayed from adhering to the popular opinion or group think. :tongue:

Voting "other" allows for those with no opinion or with alternate opinions to see the results and follow up with a post here for clarification.
Thanks for the input so far both written and in vote form. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yamaha is #1 better for the salt, more corrosion resistant.

·
Registered
182 Posts
THe more I read on the big 4 strokes.....the less I'm interested. Recently, a salesman told me and a friend who may be in the market next spring...."If it was going on my boat...it would be the 200 HPDI Yamaha over the 225 4 stroke".. :shrug: Jign

676 Posts
I did not take the time to do the poll but YAMAHA with out a doubt. I have 8 motors I use in Alaska, main power and kicker. They are used extremely hard and left outside on the boats all winter long, sometimes under 6 feet of snow. They are five years old now and start the first turn of the key every year when I return. I also run them down here for my Oregon business and they are flawless. I depend on my motors to make a living and I would trust no other.

·
Registered
5,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well folks, it looks like it is between the Honda and the Suzuki 4 stroke 90s'.
The Yamaha folks were in the bidding until they wanted over $2400 just for the parts for the dual helm controls and that doesn't include labor!
So Suzuki is about a thousand dollars cheeper with a 6 year warranty. My wife sure likes that but I am leaning towards the Honda. I already have the 4 stroke 8 HP Kicker.... when it is all said and done the difference comes to just over $500 and 3 years of extended warranty. What would you do?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
The 6 year warranty is pretty dang compelling if you ask me Ray
!!
Check and compare apples to oranges--if the 6 year warranty on the Suzy is comparable to Merc's 3 year I'd say go. Money saved doesn't hurt either. $500.00 aint chicken scratch either--pays for quite a few water separator/fuel filters and plugs (if 4 strokes ever foul!).

Disclaimer: I have never owned a 4 stroke Suzuki product, but was very happy with the 75 and 15 horse 2 strokes I had on my C-Dory.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I agree the warrenty may be very nice to have 5 years from now!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I've got 115 Suzki 4 stroke on the back of a 20' Duckworth, with a 8 hp Honda kicker. I troll with the Suzki as much as the Honda. It is quiter and starts easier. With a 6 year warranty. I've heard that they are lighter and quicker than Yamaha or Honda. I run it year around in eastern WA. and salt water. No complaints from me.

·
Registered
616 Posts
I'd go with Yamaha with Honda taking a close second. Yamaha has the market cornered on kickers with the High Thrust 8hp with power tilt.
I've ran this motor since they first came out. If I ever have to buy another I'll buy the same.
Yamaha- good warranty, easy parts availability and competitive price.

My 2 cents. :grin:

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think the Yamaha T8 is the best kicker I have ever owned. High thrust, electric tilt and dependability put that motor on the back of my boat. My other motor is a Yamah 225 2 cycle and they make a great pair. Yamaha all the way.

3,877 Posts
Honda is definately the 4-stoke king. The advanced technology and the money they have invested into R&D as well as being the inventor of the 4-stroke sold me.

Not saying Yamaha & Suzuki for rthat matter are totally inferior, I went with what felt better to me. I also work for a Japanese company here in Oregon and before I purchased Honda's I went to them and asked, which would you buy, 8 of 10 said Honda because of dependability & durability.

I own the 225 4-stroke & 9.9 and have nothing but good things to say about them.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts