IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just in the past couple of months I've heard reference to P14s several times. What exactly is a P14? Is it a specific manufactured boat, or a style? I can't believe with my boat fetish that I'm just now hearing of P14s. I bet Ampersat knows. I know that boy has a boat fetish.

Freak

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I caught my very first springer in a 15'P14.

It is a fiberglass boat that has a windshield. Had a 25hp Merc outboard. I belive they were very popular in the late 60's / early 70's. They may have been manufactured by Seaswirl but I'm not 100% sure.

Anyway a P14 will always have a special place in my heart. I'll scan and post a picture if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
yup, made by seaswirl, a friend of mine still has one! great little boat for the size.
except his has a 50 hp merc, its scary fast, :shocked: cuts the water great though

[ 11-08-2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Drummer/Fisherman ]

·
Registered
371 Posts
i personally own a 1966 P14 witha 40hp johnson on it, it is actually 13' 9" and manufactured by hi production outta canby oregon years ago that pic diffently looks just about like mine they are very narrow especially at the back a 48 in sturgeon is wider then the splash tray where the motor mounts i love mine although it does tend to be a handful on a windy day in the gorge on the columbia if you would like to see a pic of mine let me know i can shoot it anytime for you. I would not part with mine i like it that much

·
Premium Member
3,580 Posts
Corkie, most deffinetly is!
nice lookin old girl

·
Registered
12,322 Posts
I learned to ski in 1959-60 in a locally-made Seaswirl 15-footer with a Merc 750 (75 hp). The P-14 was the predecessor to that boat. Many happy memories ... as I said earlier, 1959 was a very good year. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
They are made by "Sea Swirl" P14 is the model of boat. Like "Intruder", or "Sportster".

The picture of the boat above is a good liking to the P14 by Sea Swirl.

·
Ichthyomaniac
3,187 Posts
There is a small nodule of memory in my head that thinks that these boats were designed or made for use in the vietnam war. Anyone know? I think they are pretty darn classy.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
That boat was a FREEBIE...NADDA...ZIP....It was just given to us from my parents. They decided that we would get more use out of it than them. Heck, I love it. Took it out to Kelly Point and up to Sellwood the 2 weeks ago. My GPS said it hit 27 mph going up the Willamete. Lots better than the DB at 6.5 mph. :cheers: :dance: :grin:

Thanks
CM

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
P-14's predate the Vietnam war. They were manufactured as early as 1955. I was drooling over them by 1960. I'm pretty sure that they only came in a 14' version- ergo the "14" designation. (The same company, Seaswirl, made other models, including the ever-attractive Hi-Laker, strongly reminiscent of an old bathtub without the claw feet.) I don't think that Rain's photo is of a P-14, they had more of a tuck to the stern, and the gunnels tended to roll inward . Venerable old boats, they were once the cat's meow.

[ 11-12-2003, 08:53 AM: Message edited by: Old Coot ]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I had one that "came with" my house when I bought it. I ended up giving it away, didn't have the time or money to restore it. The guy that took it wanted the trailer, as far as I know the boat is just sitting in a yard collecting rain. Too bad, they look pretty sharp all done up. Nice boats for the time.

Scott

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Isn't Google amazing?????

[ 11-12-2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Tanner ]

·
Registered
802 Posts
My Dad bought one of those many years ago. It had a 65hp motor on it. The people he bought it from said it was the fastest boat on the Columbia. And after we took it out for the first time, we believed them. Scary doesn't begin to describe it. We were terrified! He traded the 65hp for a 25hp and a new trailer. Cleaned up the boat, had a top made for it, and fished out of it for the next 20 years. Then sold it for what he had invested in it.

RR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts