IFish Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess we should all stop hunting for our health. Geeze.:help: I think some just don't get it.:shrug:

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Deer hunting could be a dangerous endeavor for men with heart disease or risk factors for it, research findings suggest.
In a study of 25 middle-aged male deer hunters, researchers found that the activities inherent to hunting -- like walking over rough terrain, shooting an animal and dragging its carcass -- sent the men's heart rates up significantly.
In some cases, this led to potentially dangerous heart-rhythm disturbances, or diminished oxygen supply to the heart.
Of the 25 hunters, 17 had established coronary heart disease, while the rest had risk factors such as being overweight, smoking or having high blood pressure or cholesterol.
The findings suggest that for men like these, hunting could boost the risk of heart attack or cardiac arrest.
Susan Haapaniemi and colleagues at William Beaumont Hospital in Royal Oaks, Michigan, report the findings in the American Journal of Cardiology.
For the study, the researchers outfitted each man with a portable monitor that continuously recorded his heart's electrical activity during a day of deer hunting. For comparison, the men also had their hearts monitored as they exercised on a treadmill on a separate day.
In general, the researchers found, deer hunting put the men's hearts under more strain than the treadmill did. Ten men exceeded the maximum heart rate they logged on the treadmill, and several showed potentially dangerous heart responses to hunting that they did not show during the treadmill test.
Three men had signs of impeded blood flow to the heart during hunting, but not on the treadmill. Similarly, three of the men with heart disease had heart-rhythm abnormalities while hunting that did not show up on the treadmill test.
The combination of physical exertion, adrenaline rush and the stress of rough terrain and cold weather may explain the "excessive cardiac demands" seen with hunting, according to Haapaniemi's team.
What's more, they point out, most of the men in the study were taking part in an exercise program to treat their heart disease, or were regularly physically active. Hunting could be an even greater strain on the heart in men who are usually sedentary, the researchers note.
SOURCE: American Journal of Cardiology, July 15, 2007.

· Banned
862 Posts
I guess they are trying to say, if you want to get exercise, do it on a tread mill in front of a cardiologist at the hospital in case you have a heart attack.....Thats gonna be outta my price range, I'll stick with plan B, hunting, and just risk it all :passout:

· Registered
1,002 Posts
what a joke,, the things they will do is just funny,, i tell ya what if i die in the blind because i just humped in three miles with 4 doz. deeks on my back, up hill,, i went out with a smile,, and id be holding my birds,, just take care of my dog,,

rw

· Registered
308 Posts
If that's the case then I guess love making is definitely out of the question for those fellas (sorry mods, I'm not trying to be crass). Honestly though, somebody ought to save these researchers some valuable time and money and let them know that if you have a pulse, you're at risk, so live life while you still have one.

· Registered
2,941 Posts
Absolutely stupid!!! Wonder if PETA sponsored the study?
Actually, they probably did - or someone like them. The CASH (Committee to Abolish Sport Hunting) web site stresses the dangers of hunting in an effort to condemn it as "dangerous". It's a pretty common tactic now since pro hunting groups have begun to tout the health benefits of hunting and spending time in the outdoors.

:twocents:

"CL"

· Registered
2,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can understand some anti group funding a study like this I guess. At least understand their motives.

But Reuters ran the story, and it was featured on Yahoo’s home page for a while. Why? It was stupid anyway. A study of just 25 guys? Give me a break!

· Registered
187 Posts
It was 25 guys that were already over weight and at risk because of early signs of heart disease. This study was BUNK because you could have used 20 other activities instead of hunting and get the same results. my .02

· Registered
876 Posts
"SOURCE: American Journal of Cardiology, July 15, 2007:"
Give me a break what cardiologist is going to think "Oh wow I better let me patients know about this..."

They must not have seen any big bucks, sounds like those guys probably would have croaked from buck fever.

We are all now dumber for reading that.

· Registered
411 Posts
Hunting in Michigan is a lot different than here. Its pretty much the norm to put out a bunch of bait and sit and wait.

When I lived there I was shocked. It was the first time my concept of sportsmanship had ever been tested. Its traditional there though.

So, anyway, I'm not sure those guys hike and haul carcass like is done here.

Still, I do have to wonder, that maybe, hunting had actually been the exercise and excitement that had kept these really sick guys alive this long.

The study is crud, except to say that the cardiologists tests failed. That's what it really says, their tests aren't really that good at diagnosing and finding problems. Their tests routinely failed to show a condition that these men with heart disease have. That is nothing to do with hunting per se. Its all about false assumptions that tests in a hospital really represent what happens in our bodies.

· Registered
3,736 Posts
A little bit of personal info. It's amasing what you can still do with heart trouble.
Years ago while hunting with a long time friend He killed a large 6x6 bull in the bottom of a canyon in the Wenaha unit. We had been fortunate to draw one of 10 archery any elk tags.
Back to the story. It took all day to pack that elk out. A month later he had some pain in his chest and after going to the doctor He found out that His arterys were between 65 & 90 % blocked and He was in eminent danger of a heart attack.
I look at it as His active lifestyle allowed him to do the things He did even with His condition. The day before killing the Elk he had hiked 6 to 8 miles into the Mill cr area. Just some food for thought.

· Registered
2,930 Posts
By the logic of that study, any activity that increases the heart rate is inherently dangerous. That rules out everything I enjoy, except eating. So I guess I will eat my way to heart health.

Seriously, we are all going to die some day. I would rather make that transition with an elk quarter on my back than with tubes in my nose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.