IFish Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this the other night as I was wishing it was duck hunting season again. I know many have debated the salmon closure, sturgeon closures, etc. (Myself included in that. :wink: )

But what if fishing had a 'season' like hunting does. For instance waterfowl. Usually the season runs from mid October through mid January. Roughly 4 months out of the entire year, I get to pursue my favorite activity. :depressed:

How about elk, deer, antelope,etc. If you are lucky enough to be able to go, you might get in a day or two out of the 7-21 day season. That is -7-21 days out of the entire year! (average success in a big game hunt ranges right around 10-15%)

So what if fishing were like hunting? And we all had to buy a tag for a specific river (you can only choose one river), the tag (season) is good for one week (regardless of run timing) and you are allowed 2 salmon for the season. Then you get to wait 51 weeks for the next opportunity to go salmon fishing again, anywhere in the state.

As I got to thinking about this, I really began to appreciate more how much opportunity we really have to fish throughout the year, for lots of fish, all over the state and in other states.

Yes things are complicated by block closures, adipose fin clip requirements, length restictions, gear restrictions, etc.

I am not advocating this type of a system for fish management, only a perspective that I found warmed some of the cold spots that have developed on my heart when it comes to fishing restrictions. :wink:

BTW...its only another 5 months until duck season, and yes I am counting. :wink:

[ 05-20-2003, 09:46 PM: Message edited by: Lured In ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I have never thought about that Lured In, but it is interesting. I don't know what that would be like if you had to fish like that. Some of these crazy rules like fishing with a green shirt on a sunny day at 1:18 P.M. on Mon. is illegal if your born on a Tuesday (being sarcastic, but sometime they seem like this) can get a little irritating, but at least we can do it year round. Good Post! :cheers:

Hopefully Duck hunting is better this year. Maybe you had a good year, but I have had better. Good Luck!

[ 05-20-2003, 09:51 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
716 Posts
Ditto on the waterfowling. Only four more months?

On the "what if fishing were like hunting", just think. You can only keep the bucks. No fresh eggs. :depressed: Thanks for the eye-opener, Lured.

[ 05-20-2003, 10:00 PM: Message edited by: Crashin' Bait ]

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
That's interesting, Lured In, and probably why I selected "small game" on that "If you could only hunt one" poll. The idea being I enjoy hunting so much that I would choose game that I could pursue all year 'round.

I think the process works pretty well, though, not only to limit the take, but to whet our appetites. We plan days around an opening, like Halibut or springers, then put in for big game tags, then about the time we get the results, we're out for coho, then sturgeon, then chinook again, then tune-ups for deer and elk (and upland birds), etc, etc, etc. I'm always pursuing something while I'm waiting for something else.

BTW, halibut season just closed, the shad are in, I'm heading over to shoot sage rats tomorrow, and I just picked up another two dozen deke's. It's a busy life. :dance:

Skein

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Skien, if you don't mind me asking, is there any place in particular you are going for the rats? We usually go down by Christmas Valley, but I hear the grass is getting pretty high. I actually thought about going this weekend.

[ 05-20-2003, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Mr. Carp ]

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Skien, if you don't mind me asking, is there any place in particular you are going for the rats? We usually go down by Christmas Valley, but I hear the grass is getting pretty high. I actually thought about going this weekend.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Skein..shooting somebody's pet gopher from 3000 yards, doesn't really turn my crank, if you know what I mean. :shocked: :tongue: :wink:

Saying that though, is kinda like saying you can fish for carp all year long. :sick: :wink:

·
Banned
8,921 Posts
Lured In,

Uh... pet (?) gophers? I don't think that's what the farmer called them, but I'll ask him tomorrow. :grin:

Mr Carp,

We're going over by Alfalfa, just out of Bend. We've got a place we've been shooting on for a few years and the farmer is real comfortable with us. I also shoot out of Prineville and, of course, Christmas Valley (rimfire only in CV).

Skein

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Good Luck Skein!! Thanks for the info

·
Registered
13,825 Posts
You aint hunting ducks for 107 days( 4 months) this year :depressed: .

God made fish so there was something to do when we can't hunt.

Mark and the likes jumping fish, but is dead serious about ducks dog.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Flatfish...yes I know they are proposing a 60 day season and a drop in the limit to 4.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
You'd have to be a good shot to get bottom fish if we fished like we hunt! :laugh:

·
Registered
13,253 Posts
Fishing like hunting.... hmmmmm

We could apply for a river to fish, when you dont draw your first choice you get a preference point. Seasons are 5 to 7 days long and you get a single tag to punch.

Apply for a tag and wait a month to see if you are selected.

You would have to decide what style of method to fish, applying for flyfishing would be like choosing bowhunting, bait fishing would be like rifle hunting, spear fishing would be like muzzloader etc...

Choosing species would be like the following:
Chinook would be like buying an elk tag
steelhead would be like buying a deer tag
halibut tags would be like applying for big horn sheep tags
etc....

Finally the east siders (who have the better hunting) can be envious of us on the West side with the typically better fishing

Getting a coast elk tag and having fog for 5 days with 100 foot visibility would be like drawing a chinook tag and the rivers are blown.

Side note: why cant the ODFW do the hunting drawing today rather than mid June, we all have our applications in by 5/15, it probably takes the computer like 0.0003 seconds to do the draw :hoboy:

·
Registered
22,375 Posts
I'd go back to golf if this were true. You raised the hair on the back of my neck with this thread. :tongue: Regulations like that would kill me during springer season. :depressed:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ahhh, duck hunting...gotta love laying in the muck on a cold morning waiting for the first birds of the day. Ducks are the reason I bought my boat - CR, Tillmook Bay and Willamette salmon were just a big bonus! :smile:

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
BOE...my point exactly! :wink: Don't forget, there would likely be a "general salmon tag" that (for example) would allow you to fish for springers for one week in EARLY FEBRUARY! :shocked: Just think about how great springer fishing is then. :rolleyes:

If you really think about it, the fishing regs could be A LOT worse.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts