IFish Fishing Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about fishing? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to know what the best horsepower motor would be to put on a Lowe 14' alum. boat?
Would like to use in lakes, rivers, and bay for crabbing.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Wolfman, welcome to Ifish. If you don't already know, it is customary to introduce yourself when you jump onboard with a fishing story. :hoboy: Some diehards are pretty finicky about giving advice before that happens.
I'm going to jump out of the gate and suggest either a 15 or 25 hp. I prefer Yamaha, but any maker will do. Curious, do you have the 14' boat already or are you set on it? There are some great 15 to 16' boats out there that a 25 or 30 horse would work wonders on. Gotta go before I get chastised by my brethren by giving out FREE advice. Good Luck. :cheers:

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Run the max that it's rated for.
I had a 14' Gregor w/ a 15hp, and it was OK, but a slug. The 15hp got stolen, and I replaced it with a Merc 25. Huge difference. It went like a rocket (a good solid 35mph w/2 people and gear, and in a little boat like that it seemed like 60mph). It was rated for 25hp.
I have the same Merc on my 15' Klamath, which is rated for 45hp. It still zips, but there's no way I'd run any less HP than the 25. I'd like to have a 45, but I can't justify buying a new motor that costs 4 times what the boat is worth.
Somebody on another thread put it this way:

You never hear anybody say, "Gee, I wish I didn't have this much horsepower!" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice :grin:
Already have the boat...So my search for a motor now continues.

As far as a fish story ---

I will never forget the fist time I ever went fishing in the Willamette with my Grandad. I didnt realize how fast and L A R G E those cargo ships are! They get my full respect.

·
Registered
873 Posts
A 25 4 stroker will provide all the push to weight ratio you will ever need at 14'. You will also be very happy with the low trolling speed available with a smooth operating 4 stroker. Check with dealers and see if a demo is available before your decision.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts